Prayut gives a stern warning to rich fishing operators

Lite Beer

Prayut gives a stern warning to rich fishing operators

28-3-2558-10-41-37-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha last night promised to end the human trafficking in the fishing industry once and for all with stern warning to what he called selfish but wealthy fishing operators that they must stop their decade long business practises or else they would no longer allowed to do businesses again on the Thai soil.

Speaking on his “Returning Happiness to the Thai People” Friday night, Gen Prayut said his government now places anti human trafficking as a national agenda issue same as drug suppression saying it has long tarnished the country’s image.

He blamed deteriorating human trafficking, particularly on the fishing industry, on inactions or ignorances by the previous government before his May 22 military coup.

Stern warning came after The Associated Press released its report of a year-long investigation documenting the shocking conditions of the Thai fishing industry. The AP report led to calls in the US Congress, among other places for further investigations of the fishery industry in Southeast Asia.

Last night, Gen Prayut said it was time now for his government to get tough with the problem and called for understanding from the public.

By prioritising the issue as on the national agenda, all government agencies will be drawn in tentacle the problem seriously and practically, he said.

He said these wealthy fishing operators have enjoyed the plight of trafficked labour for a decade and now it was time for them to stop as what they done had damaged the country’s reputation which consequently hurt the country’s exports.

Now Thailand is facing ban of its marine exports and may expand to cover other manor sports like rice or rubber.

According to Bangkok Post, Gen Prayut vowed to put fishing operators out of business if they are found to violate laws and abuse workers in ways that jeopardise Thai exports worth hundreds of billions of baht a year.

Gen Prayut said companies that carry out illegal fishing in the waters of other countries and use trafficked workers must be punished and have no more opportunities to do any business in the country.

“The people who do wrong in this area must repent. They have done this for a long time, for many years, and past administrations were never able to cope,” he said.

It was painful also as these operators did not even bother to help hundreds of their workers who were arrested in other countries, leaving the problem for the government to solve.

“If such abuses of fellow humans continue, I will instruct that they should not be allowed to do any business any longer in Thailand and they must be punished,” Gen Prayut said.

“Don’t ever blame me for being cruel. How can you take advantage of other people? You’re incredibly rich and have dozens of boats. It is time to abide by the law.”

He also stressed that his government was now acting on several fronts to try to clean up the fishery industry.

Apart from sending officials to help Thai crewmen arrested in Indonesia in a low profile way as he didn’t want it to become news because these crewmen also violated the law of neighbouring countries, he said.

Gen Prayut proposed that Thailand should form fishery joint ventures with neighbouring countries such as Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei and Cambodia to end the arrests of fishing crews and end unhealthy competition.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-gives-a-stern-warning-to-rich-fishing-operators

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-28

He is funnier than Chalerm, unfortunately for the wrong reasons also. cheesy.gif

So now it's introduced as a national agenda, after 8 months ago he was wondering why the US demoted Thailand to 3rd tier?

"Now Thailand is facing ban of its marine exports and may expand to cover other major [sic] sports like rice or rubber."

Good luck in that area.

Best 'till last: “Don’t ever blame me for being cruel. How can you take advantage of other people? You’re incredibly rich and have dozens of boats. It is time to abide by the law.” clap2.gifcheesy.gif

No further comment.

• Like 1

>>Apart from sending officials to help Thai crewmen arrested in Indonesia in a low profile way as he didn’t want it to become news because these crewmen also violated the law of neighbouring countries, he said.<<

From another thread on the same subject:

>>Among those giving a warm welcome to the group at the airport were officials from various agencies involved in the rescue, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, <<

So much for the low profile........................coffee1.gif

This news is not to clear to me, perhaps 'human trafficing' is the wrong term. Is the fishing industry transporting people against their will? I'm afraid the government hasn't a clue to why the US has flagged fishery imports.

• Like 1

1. I imagine that we agree that the PM is not a born and bred politician, and is subject to 'putting foot'. Gaffe - an unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder.

It is likely that only with assistance from professional PR officials, future utterances will his behavior and utterances change.

This is a fact and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future. IMO it will be great if human trafficking and suffering is reduced regardless of the reason.

They say if you can fake sincerety, then 'have got it made' smile.png

I worked for a large banking institution and in the event of a armed robbery often the senior official would ask about the money first and the condition of the staff second. No hypocrisy.

Unfortunately, common human nature.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

These so-called rich fishing fleet owners would mix in his circles....he would know who they are.....
So now he's "asking" them publicly to stop their enforced labour practices.........He should nail them....charge them and call their boats in!!!
This is why nothing will change......all piss and wind!!!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would you say these fishing fleet owners would mix with the general?

If he did just 'nail them' then you would be one of the first to scream about lack of appropriate legal process.

• Like 1

Ok I had it who writes these articles? It is tackles not tentacles unless your talking about squid not quid which is what Brits call an pound. Now sice when has been called a sport unless you meant exports apposite of imports Which Thai's do very little of only want to protect there industries, But want all to follow there laws but they break others doing the same things a few expats do here. Then sound so shocked when get called on not being in compliance of international norms on air safety, ivory trade, just to mention a few as the list goes on and on.

For the poor souls being abused I hope the world forces action by Thailand and this cruelty is ended without hesitation.

What did Prayuth say, he's going to write a letter to tell the wealthy fishing operators how angry he is. That'll stop em.

Edited by Oziex1
  • Like 1

Maybe Prayut should get the hint!!

Despite his 105% domestic approval rate, the rest of the world is not happy to see a country run by an nonelected leader.

Hence the crackdown on the Thai aviation industry.

Hence the crackdown on the Thai fishing industry.

Not a coincidence, that it is happening now!!

• Like 2

When it hurts........then we act.

Good for you Prime Minister, but I have to commend the foreign governments for pushing you to take such actions.

About time and all.

You're a bit premature. He has not done anything yet. Just words.