Power surges

Gonsalviz

TOT fiber installed in our mooban is fiber from beginning(outside the village) to end at my desk. All done by TOT installers. Works 100 percent better than the poor ADSL we had before. 20mb/2mb. Installed about 5 months ago

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

has somebody an explanation why the Ookla speed test doesn't work with my PC? some weeks ago i installed an add-on (adaware plus) which seems to block it. Ookla ping test works, but not download.

Does your new app block or replace Adobe Flash? (<- used by Ookla).

i can't even find that ad block in the firefox add-on list. what it also blocks is embedded youtube clips posted in Thaivisa.

Everyone has their preference for web browser. I would suggest Google Chrome. My experience is much less issues than with IE and "fast". And, for sure, it will work with Ookla speed test. If that's important to you.

Don't know much about firefox so can't comment on that.

• 2 weeks later...

tomorrow i am getting my fibre optic connection. line has been layed already and only a "box" as well as a modem/router has to be installed. can a fibre optic line respectively the end gadgets be damaged by an electric surge?

Fibre doesn't conduct electricity, so that's the end of any line borne surges getting in that way smile.png

Your Honour,

i most humbly beg your pardon and draw your attention to fibre optic lines in my home country where the actual fibre is protected by a woven metal cladding. my connection in Thailand is not but i wish it was because it is laid unprotected (except for a little plastic insulation) 800 meters in one of the storm drains of my village (together with phone, cable and electric lines) but not easily accessible in case of necessary repairs.

i arranged of course that the connection from the storm drain via a part of my garden and the roof to my study was done in a protective PVC-pipe.

tomorrow i am getting my fibre optic connection. line has been layed already and only a "box" as well as a modem/router has to be installed. can a fibre optic line respectively the end gadgets be damaged by an electric surge?

Fibre doesn't conduct electricity, so that's the end of any line borne surges getting in that way smile.png

Your Honour,

i most humbly beg your pardon and draw your attention to fibre optic lines in my home country where the actual fibre is protected by a woven metal cladding. my connection in Thailand is not but i wish it was because it is laid unprotected (except for a little plastic insulation) 800 meters in one of the storm drains of my village (together with phone, cable and electric lines) but not easily accessible in case of necessary repairs.

i arranged of course that the connection from the storm drain via a part of my garden and the roof to my study was done in a protective PVC-pipe.

The folks at 3BB told us "It's fiber." Well what does that mean? Our 3BB is fiber optic running through the village on the pole, but the drops to the house are a tiny diameter 2 strand copper telephone wire. The copper wire comes into the house and into a little adapter box with a standard RJ45 connection for the modem. A friend just had a TOT installation and has fiber all the way into his house. TOT also supplied a modem with a fiber optic connection -- no adapters. All fiber all the way.

The bottom line is you can't really believe anything anyone tells you. You have to look for yourself (Edit: which I am quite certain both Naam and Crossy have done).

Edited by PattayaClub

The folks at 3BB told us "It's fiber." Well what does that mean? Our 3BB is fiber optic running through the village on the pole, but the drops to the house are a tiny diameter 2 strand copper telephone wire. The copper wire comes into the house and into a little adapter box with a standard RJ45 connection for the modem. A friend just had a TOT installation and has fiber all the way into his house. TOT also supplied a modem with a fiber optic connection -- no adapters. All fiber all the way.

The bottom line is you can't really believe anything anyone tells you. You have to look for yourself (Edit: which I am quite certain both Naam and Crossy have done).

when i looked for myself how vulnerable the insulation and how thin the single strand of fibre is i couldn't believe my eyes.

question: how is your international ping and speed and how much are you paying?

when i looked for myself how vulnerable the insulation and how thin the single strand of fibre is i couldn't believe my eyes.

Fibre is amazingly robust considering it's very fine and made of glass :)

Treat it with a modicum of respect and it will be just fine :)

question: how is your international ping and speed and how much are you paying?

You can't believe your eyes? Did you forget where you were???? Maybe it's not even fiber; maybe it is a horsehair. cheesy.gif

We pay 631 baht a month for 3BB's 10Mbps service. They have a 15Mbps option, but I cannot recall the price tag.

Our speeded using Ookla thru BKK AIS server:

Ping: 45ms

Download: 11.15

Upload: .65Mbps

Retest about the same.

Vientiane server: about the same.

Philadelphia, PA:

Ping: 319ms (retest: Same)

Download: 6.14Mbps (retest: 8.14Mbps)

Upload: 0.61Mbps (retest: Same)

Beriln (where this stuff is known as "fibre"):

Ping: 280ms (retest: 283ms)

Download: 2.97Mbps (retest: Same)

Upload: 0.58Mbps (retest: Same)

This is at 8 a.m. I do all my Internet stuff in the morning.

In the late afternoon and evening, when all the kids come home and the smart phones go into action, it slows WAY DOWN. I have not done an evening speed test. We only recently were able to get this service. We had to find 10 customers for them to put in the fiber line. There are only 10-12 customers on this "line," but no telling how many WIFI users in a household. Ours has three users (not including me) that go online in the evening and never seem to go off.

Okay, I'm out of here. On my way to pick up my weekly supply of sauerkraut and dill pickles from a local maker.

P-Club,

my 3BB copper line (nominal 15mb ~950 Baht) shows the same speeds as your "fiber", my TOT copper line (nominal 12mb ~650 Baht) is in line with 2/3 of the speed.

but the real thing is now CAT fibre 2,158 Baht (promotion).

post-35218-0-11547400-1437015344_thumb.p post-35218-0-48395300-1437015399_thumb.p

post-35218-0-00770400-1437015434_thumb.p post-35218-0-51787800-1437015612_thumb.ppost-35218-0-54074200-1437015582_thumb.p post-35218-0-39232800-1437015655_thumb.ppost-35218-0-73925200-1437016318_thumb.p post-35218-0-61722000-1437016350_thumb.p

post-35218-0-71372800-1437016375_thumb.p

Fibre is amazingly robust considering it's very fine and made of glass smile.png

Treat it with a modicum of respect and it will be just fine smile.png

TOT installed our Fiber connection in the room reserved for the Buddha altar.

So when I wai the room the family aren't convinced to whom I am actually paying respect. wai.gif

P-Club,

my 3BB copper line (nominal 15mb ~950 Baht) shows the same speeds as your "fiber", my TOT copper line (nominal 12mb ~650 Baht) is in line with 2/3 of the speed.

attachicon.gifFrankfurt.png attachicon.gifAthens.png

attachicon.gifAuckland.png attachicon.gifSydney.pngattachicon.gifLOS.png attachicon.gifSFO.pngattachicon.gifTokyo.png attachicon.gifSIN.png

attachicon.gifBKK.png

Well I'm never going to beat you in a race! I see you got Ookla working! A couple of weeks ago, you were having trouble with it. Whats the deal from CAT for 2,158 (is that per month or installation?)?

I am so far out in the sticks, I can't get it anyway. I was damned lucky to be able to finally shelve the old USB stick. Only three years ago, I did not even have 3G!

P-Club,

attachicon.gifFrankfurt.png attachicon.gifAthens.png

attachicon.gifAuckland.png attachicon.gifSydney.pngattachicon.gifLOS.png attachicon.gifSFO.pngattachicon.gifTokyo.png attachicon.gifSIN.png

attachicon.gifBKK.png

Well I'm never going to beat you in a race! I see you got Ookla working! A couple of weeks ago, you were having trouble with it. Whats the deal from CAT for 2,158 (is that per month or installation?)?

I am so far out in the sticks, I can't get it anyway. I was damned lucky to be able to finally shelve the old USB stick. Only three years ago, I did not even have 3G!

it's per month and based on a promotion i was lucky to get. actual price is 2,590 a month for nominal 25mbit. i got the same price for nominal 35mbit plus 2 months free service paying one year in advance. installation rather steep ("box" 2,000, modem router 7,200, 30 baht per linear meter exceeding 100m distance).

What are you doing with all that speed??? Watching high def movies in real time?

Makes me think of all the 500+ horsepower cars I see advertised in this country for 20+ million baht a pop. With all the speed cameras around, where can you stretch the legs on such an automobile.

Of course if I had loads of money to blow out my arse, I would mind having one . . .

i do watch a lot of TV, mostly European channels, and that in real time. not movies but mainly news and documentaries. plus i wanted to have a third ISP because neither 3bb nor TOT provides a 100% stable and uninterrupted service. the latter i require to handle my investments.

by the way, the cost of the new connection is 30% less than what we are paying presently for a twin UBC connection and another payTV satellite connection (both will be cancelled after a couple of months satisfactory fibre optic service).

I would agree that there is not much worse than to be on the verge of clicking "sell' to snap up a quick and tidy profit on a stock, only to lose the connection at that precise moment, and find that the price has fallen dramatically by the time the connection is re-established. Imagine trying to trade while living a life out in the village with a pre-3G stick . . . The city does bring choices . . .

Round two: You're a currency trader. A far more exhilarating, but risky ride than stocks, with exponentially multiplied opportunities for profit -- and loss. But what is there to life without risk?

Edited by PattayaClub

Round two: You're a currency trader. A far more exhilarating, but risky ride than stocks, with exponentially multiplied opportunities for profit -- and loss. But what is there to life without risk?

currency trader = totally wrong! you lose 50% of your credit points.

let's switch to electrics again. i can't find the thread in which "dirty electricity" was mentioned which (allegedly) causes a high consumption of light bulbs in my home. googling that keyword does not bring any results. an electrical engineer in Germany made the sarcastic remark i should wash or dry clean incoming electricity before using.

Crossy, Forkinhades, IMHO et al... advice please.

let's switch to electrics again. i can't find the thread in which "dirty electricity" was mentioned which (allegedly) causes a high consumption of light bulbs in my home. googling that keyword does not bring any results. an electrical engineer in Germany made the sarcastic remark i should wash or dry clean incoming electricity before using.

I have some ideas, but I am no electrician so will leave it for those in the know. But in the meantime, they would probably like to know if you are using incandescent, CFL or LED bulbs. And are you using illuminated light switches (the ones that have a small light in the switch so you can see it in the dark)?

I will add this, though it has nothing to do with the dirty electricity problem (I learned the hard way). If you are using CFL's, the cheap ones are not worth tits on a boar hog. Buy name brand like Panasonic, etc. They last 5-10 times as long as the no-name ones you see on promotion.

Strike three: Commodities?

Edited by PattayaClub

Even short periods of over voltage (before your overvolt trip operates) can significantly reduce the life of incandescent lamps. Replacing these with CFL or LED lamps should solve the issue and as a by-product reduce your power consumption (although with your aircon load it's likely not going to be noticeable).

Even short periods of over voltage (before your overvolt trip operates) can significantly reduce the life of incandescent lamps. Replacing these with CFL or LED lamps should solve the issue and as a by-product reduce your power consumption (although with your aircon load it's likely not going to be noticeable).

unfortunately sh.. happens with both CFLs and LEDs but to a lesser degree. moreover, i like dimmers. nothing ever happened to a bunch of halogen lamps installed in bathrooms and niches.

I have some ideas, but I am no electrician so will leave it for those in the know. But in the meantime, they would probably like to know if you are using incandescent, CFL or LED bulbs. And are you using illuminated light switches (the ones that have a small light in the switch so you can see it in the dark)?

I will add this, though it has nothing to do with the dirty electricity problem (I learned the hard way). If you are using CFL's, the cheap ones are not worth tits on a boar hog. Buy name brand like Panasonic, etc. They last 5-10 times as long as the no-name ones you see on promotion.

Strike three: Commodities?

just talked to wife who's in charge of light bulb purchases and was told CFLs only for certain areas which seem to have "cleaner" electricity. for the "dirty" areas only the cheapest conventional bulbs.

no, we don't have any illuminated switches.

unfortunately "three strikes and you are out" applies. your account shows zero credit points.

interesting fact i forgot to mention in context with Crossy's "over voltage theory" is that bulbs do break when switched on, hardly ever when already on. that happens with dimmers and normal switches. does this provide some clue?

Could you be seeing short life of conventional lamps because you are buying cheapies?

I'm a little confused here, are you saying that some parts of your home have cleaner power than others?