Alps crash captain shouted 'open the damn door'

Lite Beer

Alps crash captain shouted 'open the damn door'

1427612974_1.jpg

Photo: Wikimedia/Juergen Lehle

GERMANY: The captain of a passenger jet that investigators believe was deliberately crashed into the French Alps, killing all 150 aboard, shouted at the co-pilot to 'open the damn door' as he made desperate attempts to return to the locked cockpit, according to a German newspaper Sunday (March 29).

French officials say the plane's black box voice recorder indicates that Andreas Lubitz, 27, locked the captain out of the cockpit of the Germanwings jet and deliberately flew Flight 4U 9525 into a mountainside.

They believe that the more senior pilot tried desperately to reopen the door during the flight's eight-minute descent after he left to use the bathroom.

Germany's mass-circulation Bild on Sunday reported that data from the cockpit recorder showed that the captain shouted: "For God's sake, open the door", as passengers' screams could be heard in the background, moments before the fatal crash.

The pilot could then be heard trying to smash the door down with an axe, and then screaming to a silent Lubitz to "open the damn door".

Bild said that before leaving the cockpit the captain could be heard explaining to his colleague that he had not had time to go to the toilet before they left Barcelona.

German prosecutors believe Lubitz hid an illness from his airline but have not specified the ailment, and said he had apparently been written off sick on the day the Airbus crashed on its route from Barcelona to Duesseldorf.

As investigators race to build up a picture of Lubitz and any possible motives, media reports emerged saying he had suffered from vision problems, adding to earlier reports he was severely depressed.

Lubitz's ex-girlfriend, identified only as Maria W, told Bild Lubitz had told her: "One day I'm going to do something that will change the whole system, and everyone will know my name and remember."

"I never knew what he meant by that but now it makes sense," it quoted the "shocked" flight attendant as saying Saturday.

Bild, which showed a photo of the ex-girlfriend from behind to conceal her face, said she had flown with Lubitz on European flights for five months last year and that he had had another girlfriend since her.

She said he could be "sweet" and would give her flowers but got agitated talking about work conditions, such as pay or the pressure of the job, and was plagued by nightmares. "At night he woke up and screamed 'We're going down!'," she recalled.

If Lubitz did deliberately crash the plane, it was "because he understood that because of his health problems, his big dream of a job at Lufthansa, of a job as captain and as a long-haul pilot was practically impossible", she told Bild.

She split up with him because it became "increasingly clear that he had problems", she said.

German police found a number "of medicines for the treatment of psychological illness" during a search at his Duesseldorf home, newspaper Welt am Sonntag weekly said, quoting an unnamed high-ranking investigator as saying he'd been treated by several neurologists and psychiatrists.

Sunday's Bild weekly and the New York Times, which cited two officials with knowledge of the investigation, said Lubitz had sought treatment for problems with his sight.

Germanwings pilot Frank Woiton was quoted in Saturday's edition of Bild as saying he had flown with Lubitz, who had spoken about his ambitions to become a captain and fly long-distance routes.

He told the newspaper Lubitz handled the plane well and "therefore I also left him alone in the cockpit to go to the toilet".

French police investigator Jean-Pierre Michel told AFP that Lubitz's personality was a "serious lead" in the inquiry but not the only one.

The investigation has so far not turned up a "particular element" in the co-pilot's life which could explain his alleged action in the ill-fated Airbus plane, he said.

German prosecutors revealed that searches of Lubitz's homes netted "medical documents that suggest an existing illness and appropriate medical treatment", including "torn-up and current sick leave notes, among them one covering the day of the crash".

Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr has said that Lubitz had suspended his pilot training, which began in 2008, "for a certain period", before restarting and qualifying for the Airbus A320 in 2013.

The second-in-command had passed all psychological tests required for training, he told reporters.

Germany is to hold a national memorial ceremony and service on April 17 for the victims of Tuesday's disaster, half of whom were German, with Spain accounting for at least 50 and the remainder composed of more than a dozen other nationalities.

Around 500 people earlier Saturday attended a religious ceremony in the French town of Digne-les-Bains, about 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of the remote Alpine crash zone where searchers are recovering the victims' remains and evidence.

Candles for each of the victims were placed in front of the cathedral's altar. AFP

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/alps-crash-captain-shouted-open-the-damn-door-51629.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-29

Note any male or female: If your significant other ever says something like "One day I'm going to do something that will change the whole system, and everyone will know my name and remember.", for Christ's sake TELL SOMEONE!!!

The ex girlfriend is a stewardess. Informing his/their employer could be seen as defamation with negative outcome for herself... dilemma alarm!
  • Like 1

This whole thing is just so sad, the last thing you would expect in a plane crash is a co-pilot crashing it on purpose ! They need to look into other security ways in which a pilot can gain access to the cockpit during an emergency, I have no idea how they would go about it but there needs to be a quick entrance that only the pilot knows about.

He should of kicked it down. I know if my fat ass ran at it at full force I'd of gone through the window the other end.

If the plane is thrusting nose down, the centrifugal force would be forcing anyone in the aisle toward the back - away from the cockpit door. ....or at least weightless (like the Vomit Comet). making it hard to get traction to break the door down.

This whole thing is just so sad, the last thing you would expect in a plane crash is a co-pilot crashing it on purpose ! They need to look into other security ways in which a pilot can gain access to the cockpit during an emergency, I have no idea how they would go about it but there needs to be a quick entrance that only the pilot knows about.

Unfortunately, for every safety precaution there's another side. It's actually more often the pilot (not the co-pilot) who becomes a mass-murderer. One prominent example: the Egypt Air disaster over the Atlantic (which Egypt Air still refuses to admit). If there's a way to enter the locked cabin, then terrorists can hold a knife to a stewardess and demand the door be opened - whether from outside or from inside. It's really hard to try to protect against every contingency. There are crazies in this world. If they want to become mass-murderers, they can.

The other side of the coin, which no one has mentioned, is: if there were Kavorkian-type options for assisted suicide, then perhaps crazies like the co-pilot could take his own life without becoming a mass murderer. I'm in favor of volunteer, assisted suicide, with conditions (too many to list here).

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 1

This isn't even worth a thread, let alone reporting as news.

Bad hair day? attachicon.gifchicog.jpg

post-35489-0-18741600-1427630406.gif

Well it's just not news is it? Just tittilating gossip for desperate fishwives. I find it rather sad that journalism has descended to that level.

Well, I thought it was a good read - a few new bits of information, something to get angry about, something to get titillated about. Typical Sunday rag, really.

smile.png

No question, anyone dying in an accident is a tragedy but try to see the

bigger picture. This is just a stupid, unpredictable coincident and doesn't

happen every day.

The chance to die in an airplane accident is something like 1 in 11 million.

Since 1907 there has been 137'770 fatalities in air crashes. Of those 137'770

casualties, 449 (without 9/11) are considered victims of 11 Pilot suicides.

That's something like 0.33% of all air crash victims in the last 100 Years of

commercial air flights. That's about as many victims of pilot suicides in the

last 100 years, as there is people being killed on the roads worldwide whilst

I read and replied to this article.

Just the tabloid media makes more of it then it really is. Selling grief to

nosey people sad.png

Edited by JoeLing

It's now being reported the voice recorder reveals the co-pilot kept on telling the pilot to go for a toilet break.

What would anyone of us think if a colleague kept on insisting we should go to the toilet ? It's not being wise after this tragic event but I know i'd be suspicious.

• Like 1

No question, anyone dying in an accident is a tragedy but try to see the

bigger picture. This is just a stupid, unpredictable coincident and doesn't

happen every day.

The chance to die in an airplane accident is something like 1 in 11 million.

Since 1907 there has been 137'770 fatalities in air crashes. Of those 137'770

casualties, 449 (without 9/11) are considered victims of 11 Pilot suicides.

That's something like 0.33% of all air crash victims in the last 100 Years of

commercial air flights. That's about as many victims of pilot suicides in the

last 100 years, as there is people being killed on the roads worldwide whilst

I read and replied to this article.

Just the tabloid media makes more of it then it really is. Selling grief to

nosey people sad.png

"This is just a stupid, unpredictable coincident and doesn't happen every day."

This was, apparently, a mass-murder/suicide and not an "accident". Maybe murder/suicides do happen every day, but this should be considered as one.

He should of kicked it down. I know if my fat ass ran at it at full force I'd of gone through the window the other end.

They couldn't get in using an axe so I doubt any fat asses would have helped.

US Federal Aviation rules require two individuals on the flight deck whenever the plane is in flight. It will just take a week or so till every airline in the world establishes the same policy

The hardening of the cockpit doors was the result of the 911 incident and the requirement for "2 man " control was established when a Jet Blue pilot had a nervous breakdown on a flight from New York to Las Vegas in March of 2012 and the plane made an emergency landing in Texas after passengers subdued the pilot

But in typical US litigious fashion that pilot is now suing the airline for letting him fly that day

source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/27/jetblue-osbon-lawsuit-idUSL2N0WT2AV20150327

• Like 1

Note any male or female: If your significant other ever says something like "One day I'm going to do something that will change the whole system, and everyone will know my name and remember.", for Christ's sake TELL SOMEONE!!!

The thing is, people make these kinds of comments all the time.

• Like 1

I have always advocated that removing the Chief Engineer from the flight deck was a mistake. This had been my catch cry ever since they did remove them.(Yes, have been in the cabin myself). Not only for security but accurate updates on weather situations, readouts on the state of the aircrafts "vital signs" overchecking flight plans against actual, unsettled passengers& (or) staff responses that the Purser may need help with, along with periodic physical inspections (in particular on long flights) & any mechanical idiosyncrasies that he or the Captain feel need looking at.

Why not? MONEY!!!

• Like 1

Now that their lenient policy of letting depressed, suicidal pilots control their airplanes has been revealed....I wonder if they are now grounding other pilots in the same category. Hopefully, rescreening each and every pilot...putting them in other jobs if possible, has already commenced.

This really will shake up airline policies...hopefully world wide. I can remember at least two or three other cases where this may have been a factor.

Nightmare....the beating on the door, the screaming passengers, the mountain.... I used to fly fairly often, and never think about it. Now I am trying to avoid flying. Common sense tells me it is safer than any other mode of transportation...but that does not make me feel any different.

Edited by slipperylobster

I doubt that the company in any way knew that this guy was a threat. If he were, he would have been grounded. If he was even suspicious, then I am sure that the pilot wouldn't have left him alone.

This situation is a very, very costly one in more ways than just money. The co-pilot was devious and deliberately hid his condition.

Yes, airlines want to save costs and yes, they have to follow fair labor policies, but no they don't want to destroy lives or airplanes -- that is their stock and trade.

It's now being reported the voice recorder reveals the co-pilot kept on telling the pilot to go for a toilet break.

What would anyone of us think if a colleague kept on insisting we should go to the toilet ? It's not being wise after this tragic event but I know i'd be suspicious.

"She split up with him because it became "increasingly clear that he had problems", she said."

so what is the definition of hindsight?

I have always advocated that removing the Chief Engineer from the flight deck was a mistake. This had been my catch cry ever since they did remove them.(Yes, have been in the cabin myself). Not only for security but accurate updates on weather situations, readouts on the state of the aircrafts "vital signs" overchecking flight plans against actual, unsettled passengers& (or) staff responses that the Purser may need help with, along with periodic physical inspections (in particular on long flights) & any mechanical idiosyncrasies that he or the Captain feel need looking at.

Why not? MONEY!!!

Would you accept a rise in fares to add a third flight deck member?

This is (probably) the second pilot suicide incident in just over a year.

Out of how many flights?

Sorry to pee on your party, but no you would not. Even if you were 300 pounds and ran at it all you would do is break your arm or ribs but not the door. It is designed to keep people out so whats the point of having a door that can be kicked in. even the Captain would have known that he couldnt get in with a fire axe it was just an act of desperation.

a Very sad last few moments for all those people.

• Like 1

What the hell no keyhole to gain entry for any cabin crew that need to talk to the pilot or co pilot, heard of cost cutting but that is ridiculous.

The cockpit is inaccessible by international law since 911.

There is a keyhole.

There are a zillion sides to every predicament. If airlines start scrutinizing all their flight crew for possible mental problems. ....then some get grounded, the lawsuits will pile up - with crew claiming prejudice ('they're discriminating against me because I'm black/hispanic/ugly/fat {take your choice}....') .

It's a debacle. This time it was a co-pilot. Usually it's a pilot (I also think the Malaysian plane which went missing was pilot suicide/mass-murder). Next time it could be a screwed up steward/stewardess. He/she could go in to the cockpit, mace both pilots, garot them, lock the door, and cause grief to all on board.