Some Thais have no sense of humour

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, Thais like more the practical jokes then the only words one.

My partner and I are more then 8 yaers together and he speaks relatif good English (if not tired).

Once I reply (he call me joking "old man") 'There was a time I was young and beautyful.Now I am only 'and'. No way to let him get it.

Also what we sometimes say "you don't forgot to lei" ... he diapear and I found him crying in the guestroom ... "you say I lie"

After a long explain he got it.

If he looks TV and they scow this things as discrived in other post here above, then he get sometimes 'Ba'.

Moron is a medical term......so it could be a stab at stating a fact....like, hey look that guys short.....but you wouldnt want to say , that idiots a moron. As Idiot is also a medical term and its not possible to be both at the same time.

Thai also dont like it when you superglue ten baht coins to there windshields at driver eye level no sense of humor.

Yes Thais have a sense of humor if they see an old lady slipping on a banana peel

and fall over and break her back they laugh tongue.png

Correct; they mainly like Slapstick humour. Just look at their Comedy shows on TV.

Irony and sarcasm are lost on them.

But; when you know it, then don't try it!.

Most Thais have a wonderful, keen, sometimes wry, always affable, easy going sense of humor.

Sarcastic humor (which usually requires someone to be insulted) is both overrated and overused in the West, and to the credit of Thais, not very popular here. TV shows like 'Two and a Half Men' which rely almost entirely on sarcastic put downs and sexual double entendres for their humor, I no longer find funny at all.

It is also a laughably shallow assessment to say that Thai humor is mainly grounded in slapstick. Slapstick is but a tiny sliver of the Thai humor palette. Thais are masters at finding the humor in human foibles and situations. The skill and keen powers of observation a Thai comedian displays while impersonating a member of the opposite sex is oftentimes breathtaking. They are also highly skilled at making you laugh at yourself, and no one is better at using humor to diffuse tension or ease awkward situations.

Edited by Gecko123

they just cannot handle it when the joke is on them, and not on the farang as intended...

un uh, no, like most people, you need to be good friends and sore points are never welcome.

in general i've had more fun with jokes (that we both understand) than in my old country

of course the lone farang in a market is an easy target, and too easy for the average stall owner not to.

Never, ever, make your wife/gf the butt of a joke.

She will never forget and months, years, even decades later will bring it up just to pass the time.

Usually when you are trapped next to her on a journey that will take several hours.

This is what Thai people find funny, subtitles included. Tell me what you think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIipf6uzVxQ

that is funny, subtitles and all

but then I am a fan of politically incorrect humour

All through this skit he employs subtle humour that is relevant to Thailand and Japan taking the micky out of both nations people and culture and culminates in a slight at Vietnam, while drawing on a typically Thai prejudice and (often unwarranted)Thai nationalistic pride.

the thing about humour is if it is "in your face" you will either like it or hate it , if it is subtle you will like it , it maybe straight away , it might take a week for you to get it , or 20 years later you will suddenly get it and burst laughing at a joke you heard and everyone around you will think you a fool if you try and explain it

Edited by outboard

Most Thais have a wonderful, keen, sometimes wry, always affable, easy going sense of humor.

Sarcastic humor (which usually requires someone to be insulted) is both overrated and overused in the West, and to the credit of Thais, not very popular here. TV shows like 'Two and a Half Men' which rely almost entirely on sarcastic put downs and sexual double entendres for their humor, I no longer find funny at all.

It is also a laughably shallow assessment to say that Thai humor is mainly grounded in slapstick. Slapstick is but a tiny sliver of the Thai humor palette. Thais are masters at finding the humor in human foibles and situations. The skill and keen powers of observation a Thai comedian displays while impersonating a member of the opposite sex is oftentimes breathtaking. They are also highly skilled at making you laugh at yourself, and no one is better at using humor to diffuse tension or ease awkward situations.

My wife does not get,sarcasm or irony,neither do most Thai's,i think that may be because it could be perceived as insulting,they do enjoy slap stick and off the cuff funny remarks,when they can understand them.

In my experience any kind of irony or sarcasm is very "lost in translation" even when the thai person know english quite well. And i have not many times in my life seen more boring "comedy" shows as i have in Thailand, i just don't "get" the humour in them. Could be of course that i'm not a fluent thai speaker but then again... i don't see why i would need audio help to make something funny (you know the bling, blong, ding, shhhwooosh sounds?) if it truly was funny.

I have a hard time believing that any thai would understand or laughing at say Eddie Izzard...

My wife does not get,sarcasm or irony,neither do most Thai's,i think that may be because it could be perceived as insulting,they do enjoy slap stick and off the cuff funny remarks,when they can understand them.

You are a drama queen.

You are a drama queen.

Link added. Again, for the visually impaired.

How good is your Thai?

Where does your mrs stand on the totem pole of Thailand?

I regularly go to the local market, the women there know me and my wife.

I like to eat Southern Thai food and not Isaan, there is a Southern woman there who sells a bloody brilliant kua kling.

I rocked up at the market one morning and she wasnt there, I asked the woman on the next stall, ee kaao bai nai? Where is the white skinned woman?

She pissed her self laughing (this woman is as black as the ace of spades), some old yai almost pissed her pants as she gave a arai wah, there was some young girl there who wasnt quite the full shilling, or term baht as they say here, she sat there with a dumb didnt understand the joke look.

Once it was explained, she to joined in the laughing.

Yes the Thais get it, watch Thai Tv at night, or read whats posted on FB, some of it is hilarious.

You are a drama queen.

I thought by now that would be my ex wife.

A sense of humour?

Well it seems there is a sense of strangeness about the topic in its O.P as the names used do not seem to link up with the O.P .blink.png

Perhaps the mods can inform us as to why this may be.wai2.gif

Any explanation as to why the post was started by Ayutthaya11 but all editing is done by someone with the name '' Ashley 1982''?whistling.gif

Because I requested to change my name. Joined the site 2008 but only just started using it again. Wanted a new username. Anything else Sherlock?

Don't worry Siampolee is just a curtain twitcher ,he's probably pissed off that the forum owners didn't run your name change request by him first!

Anything else Sherlock?

That's hilarious...

This chap Siampolee's gone awfully quiet......All that detective work for nothing. facepalm.gif

My Mrs. has learned to understand my sense of humor and now we laugh together practically all day long. Somebody said here that Thais don't understand sarcasm, I used to think that myself but found out that was just because they never met me before and were unsure...now I can be sarcastic with most I know......"It's the way ye tell 'em".

Edited by dotpoom

In Thai society anybody overweight are regularly called Ouin (pronounced ooun) to their face - meaning fat. How more insensitive can that be. I recently had an argument with my ex where she called me derogatory names but when I replied "Water Buffalo" and "Wokhead" I think she was less than impressed but she rapidly clamped up.thumbsup.gif

Wow, I admire your courage . . .

Yes many Thai women do not want to be called black, OUCH no wonder she is your ex. That is a very negitive comment meaning they are a farmer from the Northeast. Many thai women do not like the girls from Isaan and they refer them to black girls of isaan.

Notice all the lotion with whitening crap in it and all the pale looking pretties.

My GF ask me why do Farangs like Black girls from Isaan ?

My GF ask me why do Farangs like Black girls from Isaan

Because westerners like their women like their coffee. Strong, dark, with character. Not some pasty ass, shallow cry baby, that'll winge every time they break a fingernail, or run to the nearest shade when the sun comes out because they "don't want to get black". Its funny all these westerners come here to put some colour on (get a tan), the thai women want to lose the color (melanin) they already got, by putting on these whitening crap in the hope it'll make them more attractive.

Its amazing how the thais also photobrush their photos to make them more "shiny". Cringeworthy!!..

Anyway, all these dark skin-light skin is a trick played by the rich and powerful. Because there's only few dark thais, they have managed to persuade (using all these glossy skin whitening crap etc..) most of the white skinned thais that dark skin is inferior. It's a way to make the collective feel "good about themselves" by making a minority seem inferior. Have a look at what "basking in reflected glory" means. The rich and poweful thais will tell you "There's only a few dark skinned thais in Thailand and they mostly live in the lower sois of Sukhumvit road in Bangkok", exactly for this reason. It s also a way of scapegoating. There's places that have overcome this. Like the USA. Actually, in USA, there are many white people living in trailer parks. Again, while we fight over if dark skin is superior to white, there is someone (a group mostly) out there lying in the sun in a resort with a sangria in one hand and a cigar in the other, with a stupid grin on their face.

Have you heard the idiom "the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist". Here the greatest trick that this rich and powerful group ever pulled was that there is a difference between dark skin and light skin.

I reckon we here know what that group is up to and have decided to have a chuckle ourselves. We've well and truly had the last laugh...the beauty of it??..it's on them. clap2.gif

Remember conducting corporate conversation classes with Thais. These were university educated people. Monday I'd ask a question to kick off some conversation. Example:

Somchai, what did you do on the weekend?

I went to Central World.

What did you do there, Somchai?

I eat icecream.....5555555555555555 hohohoho...heeeeeeeeeeee...hawwwwwwwww

And all other students join in.........hahahahahah...hohohohoho.....heehaw-heehaw-heehaw-heehaw-heehaw-heehaw

Edited by TSF

In Thai society anybody overweight are regularly called Ouin (pronounced ooun) to their face - meaning fat. How more insensitive can that be. I recently had an argument with my ex where she called me derogatory names but when I replied "Water Buffalo" and "Wokhead" I think she was less than impressed but she rapidly clamped up.thumbsup.gif

Wow, I admire your courage . . .

Had to be done bheard. I have a kilt but I was the one who always wore the trousers as well. I think she went to the hospital afterwards for a transplant after losing her face.smile.pngcoffee1.gif

After we married and had our own place with TV, I asked why the TV ran children's programmes at such a late time at night. I was quickly told that they were Adult programs!

But last face it, Thais must have a sense of humour to marry so many of us fat old Farang?

Seriously though, looks don't matter so much as a good heart, the Thai way of looking at things and it is very different to our Farang way.

If you want to see cluelessness about humour, deal with a Filipina. That will have you rushing back to the Thais. Here's just my latest experience.

Filipina on a social media site writes, "Confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can wear!"

I reply, "Especially when that's all she's wearing!"

[Not a bad retort I thought -- naughty without being perverted, etc]

Her reply, and I quote: "Definitely! All the women have the confidence!"

Now this Filipina is dealing with a language she's been taught since childhood (and she lives in Singapore). If I had the same exchange with a Thai person where language is not a problem, I have no doubt they would see the humour in it. I wouldn't put my money on a Filipina getting it.