Best Burger in Bangkok 2015......

smokie36

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sukhumvit Soi 4, Busstop Beer Garden. does great burgers!

Useless without pics and a proper review! :rolleyes:
post-245798-1444356081917_thumb.jpgpost-245798-14443560959149_thumb.jpg

That's the best I can do at the moment as I am not in Bangkok. They use quality mince to make their own meat patties. Can't remember exact pricing but the are definitely not expensive.

Sorry for the useless review, just thought might be handy for anyone around that area.

So popped in to Treecreeper yesterday, no burgers on the menu and the staff had no idea about the burger truck at CW this past weekend.......disappointing to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that is just weird!

So popped in to Treecreeper yesterday, no burgers on the menu and the staff had no idea about the burger truck at CW this past weekend.......disappointing to say the least.

Now that is just weird!

Very weird, I then went to Bangkok Burger Company around the corner, and they weren't open yet as their ingredients hadn't been delivered. Wasn't a very successful day for burger hunting!

I'd never heard of Treecreepers before the recent CW burger event.

But it would seem to make absolutely no sense... What's the point of participating in an event like that at CW only to turn around and not have those burgers on your restaurant menu?

I don't get it.

BTW, now that I think about it, the young Thai guy manning their burger truck that day at CW did speak good English. And I asked him, since I hadn't heard of the restaurant before, if the burger they were serving that day was the same as that served at the Saladaeng 1 restaurant. And he said, yes. blink.pngblink.png

fyi, according to a LINE msg from them, Teddy's Burgers, which opened their original location at Gateway Ekamai, has now opened another location at Central Pinklao, ground "G" floor.

They say they're having a 20% off sale off all their menu items at that location through Oct. 20 -- though you may have to add them via Facebook or LINE to qualify for that... Not sure on that latter point, but that's the way it worked when they opened their original location.

• 3 weeks later...

MOS Burger - CentralWorld 3rd floor

As best as I can recall, before today, I had only eaten hamburgers once before in my life at MOS Burger, and those burgers a couple years ago at Siam Paragon were entirely forgettable. Well today, MOS tempted me to give them another try with their promotion this month of burgers they "call" an 89b chilli cheese beef burger and a 99b spicy chilli cheese beef burger (the latter seeing to be the same as the former, except for the addition of sliced jalapenos).

Well, I should have listened to my better sense, and not given them another try, despite my feeling that I ought to like any burger that has sliced jalapenos on it. WRONG!!! For me, these burgers don't taste like burgers at all, despite the presence of a nice tomato slice and decent lettuce. They don't taste even remotely like beef. The buns don't taste like much of anything. And ditto on whatever the vague sauce they slather on the "burgers" that they call "chilli" but doesn't resemble anything I've ever known as chilli.

Perhaps there's a reason these are 89 and 99 baht burgers, when Burger King and Carl's Jr. are selling their standalone burgers for prices ranging from 120 to 160+ baht. If anything, today was a bad reminder that I always scratch my head in wonder whenever anyone pops up here saying they like the burgers at MOS.

89b chilli cheese beef burger

post-58284-0-14732500-1446116108_thumb.j

99b spicy chilli cheese beef burger

post-58284-0-01835300-1446116118_thumb.j

In their price range, I love Mosburgers, esp the chili cheese. To each his own.

25 Degrees remains my fave burger in Bangkok, but over 250 baht, a bit more than I want to pay in this city.

I can understand this.

In the sub 200 Baht bracket I like the Daniel Thaiger burger...its not perfect but has the greasiness I like in a beer session burger and happily is now located near my favourite watering hole.

Mos I won't do because of the above pics...it looks awful...rather have a krapow for the price.

As a tourist, doesn't much matter, the 60 baht street stall burger is fine. As a resident I make my own. Seems no reason to pay 8-10 US dollars for a burger with very sub-par beef. Thailand beef is similar to ground Rat-meat, yet people/tourists here "Cheer" when they pay more for the same meat as USDA. Say "Hooray" for the businesses cheating the stupid white visitors.

As a tourist, doesn't much matter, the 60 baht street stall burger is fine. As a resident I make my own. Seems no reason to pay 8-10 US dollars for a burger with very sub-par beef. Thailand beef is similar to ground Rat-meat, yet people/tourists here "Cheer" when they pay more for the same meat as USDA. Say "Hooray" for the businesses cheating the stupid white visitors.

Not very helpful post...in any case we all know what a proper burger should taste like and no one here is eating "ratburgers".... maybe you've just had an abundance of cheap Thai style ones and not tried some of the better ones mentioned on this thread.

Ok. Because you're somehow able to source some kind of magical beef for your home-made burgers that no chef in town is able to get his hands on?

Not very helpful post...in any case we all know what a proper burger should taste like and no one here is eating "ratburgers".... maybe you've just had an abundance of cheap Thai style ones and not tried some of the better ones mentioned on this thread.

Point being, a burger is a burger, but not worth more than $2 dollars or any better than any other country/vendor on the planet.

Point being, a burger is a burger, but not worth more than $2 dollars or any better than any other country/vendor on the planet.

I disagree on that point...to me there are the kind of burgers I eat when having a few beers which are sloppy and basic...then the kind of gourmet burgers with ground steak and high end stuff that roll in much more expensive.

I like both of them if done well.

I disagree on that point...to me there are the kind of burgers I eat when having a few beers which are sloppy and basic...then the kind of gourmet burgers with ground steak and high end stuff that roll in much more expensive.

I like both of them if done well.

This is Thailand, ground steak is ground beef. Thais don't know beef cuts, a ribeye here is same as a strip loin. The best burger in Thailand with proper value, same as pizza will only be found in Chiangmai. Bangkok has the worst both western & Thai food in Thailand....mainly due to the abundance of western investors.

This is Thailand, ground steak is ground beef. Thais don't know beef cuts, a ribeye here is same as a strip loin. The best burger in Thailand with proper value, same as pizza will only be found in Chiangmai. Bangkok has the worst both western & Thai food in Thailand....mainly due to the abundance of western investors.

Nonsense. You're just trolling now.

Nonsense. You're just trolling now.

Yes this thread is 18 pages long...I'd wager he hasn't bothered to read it.

• 5 months later...

To be clear, I'm not offering this up as the best burger in Bangkok. But they make a darn good burger for less than 100 Baht, including a small side of fries. Pork and beef burgers available. Beef may be 105 Baht, but I got the pork. With cheese, bacon and a fried egg for 95 Baht, with the fries.

It's the new "Station", right outside the MRT entrance at Queen Sirikit, before you walk into the QSNCC. Which makes it convenient to the MRT and ultra-handy if you're at an exhibition at the Convention Center.

Great alternative to the food court, whose food always gives me the shakes, I suspect from the MSG. I hope the place catches on, because it fills a niche for me... Hence, the shameless plug.

Edit: Burgers are only one of many familiar looking comfort foods on the menu. But this is a burger thread and I didn't try the rest.

Definitely not Carl Jnrs, at least not today. Usually eat at Carl Jnrs as you get a reasonable quality burger in quick time. What was served up toy at the nana branch was very poor indeed. A western "bacon" burger was the order, what's this bacon I ask, oh it's chicken, reformed chicken. Put this along side greasy limp fries it wasn't their finest day post-19303-14608857454421_thumb.jpg

I eat at the Carls Jr Nana Square branch pretty regularly, and as stated earlier in this thread, find their Jalapeno Burger as my favorite fast food burger choice in BKK.

But sometime back, I figured as a result, I'd try some of their other premium burgers, including the various versions that include "bacon." Dunno what exactly they're using, what it's made from or where it comes from, but whatever it is that they call "bacon" is a horrible, tasteless, limp mess. Take a pass on their "bacon."

Meanwhile, I may have to reconsider my view of another burger place that I previously panned.

A long while back (looks like July 2015), I had tried the regular 225b++ classic burger at Bully's Pub on Sukhumvit Road between Sois 2 and 4, and came away disappointed mainly because the burger I was served that day had a beef patty that had a funky kind of taste like it had been cooked and then re-microwaved to serve.

Well, fast forward many months and I found myself in the area last night late and craving a burger. So I figured I'd give them another chance (after all, quite a long time had passed since my last visit), and I'm glad I did. I ordered their "BBQ Burger" with french fries and a side of cole slaw for 265b++ and it was pretty good, including a 180g beef patty that as best as I could tell (with it being augmented by BBQ sauce, cheese, grilled peppers and two fried onion rings) had a good taste and none of the failings of the prior version.

I guess, last night's visit has earned them another future visit to once again just try their regular Classic Burger for 225b, since it's the plain burger (not ones slathered in all kinds of other stuff) that I typically use to judge a place's burger offerings.

Here's what their BBQ Burger looked like (pretty tall, but one which squeezed down OK to mouth eating size):

post-58284-0-42293200-1460901957_thumb.j

And, as an added inducement, they happen to have a version of chili-cheese french fries on the menu for 195b++. Personally, I'd rather they just used grated real cheese instead of mixing that with a Velveeta-type cheese sauce underneath as they did. But overall, not a bad side dish for a burger. I ended up eating the CC fries with my burger, and taking home the regular burger-side french fries for my wife, who was happy I did. smile.png

post-58284-0-40388300-1460901976_thumb.j

​Some good burgers for decent prices...

Papa's Kitchen - Patanakarn soi 30

101 Restaurant - Sukhumvit soi 101/1

​Wish I could agree about Papa's Kitchen, but cannot. Burger patty was "mushy", which suggests either some additive or too much extra grinding to "fluff it up". I can't be sure, but it tasted that way to me. I won't be going back.

​I'd been searching for a good burger for a long time when I went to try Papa's Kitchen. I was so disappointed and discouraged after that, that I bought an electric meat grinding machine, ordered rib eye steaks from Paleo Robbie and Passion Delivery, and now make my own. But, even with that, sometimes I want to go out, sit down in a comfortable restaurant, and be served a good, really good, burger.

​In the past, when the urge for a good burger came over me, I'd go to Chok Chai Farm Steakhouse at Asoke. But haven't been for years -- Asoke is too congested.

Recently I tried the burger at Hippopotamus Restaurant at Mega Bangna Mall (out near the new airport). A very nice burger. So nice that I went back again a week later for another. Equally good taste. Next I ordered from there with delivery service. Again, positive results. I wouldn't make a huge effort to go there, and Mega Bangna Mall is overwhelming, but if you are going to that mall anyway, and you enjoy a good burger, I recommend Hippopotamus.

Definitely not Carl Jnrs, at least not today. Usually eat at Carl Jnrs as you get a reasonable quality burger in quick time. What was served up toy at the nana branch was very poor indeed. A western "bacon" burger was the order, what's this bacon I ask, oh it's chicken, reformed chicken. Put this along side greasy limp fries it wasn't their finest day attachicon.gifDSC_1043.JPG

Not even Ben Bartanui would eat that.

I eat at the Carls Jr Nana Square branch pretty regularly, and as stated earlier in this thread, find their Jalapeno Burger as my favorite fast food burger choice in BKK.

But sometime back, I figured as a result, I'd try some of their other premium burgers, including the various versions that include "bacon." Dunno what exactly they're using, what it's made from or where it comes from, but whatever it is that they call "bacon" is a horrible, tasteless, limp mess. Take a pass on their "bacon."

The manager seeing my displeasure went to long lengths to explain in Thai that the reformed chicken bacon replacement was to not cause offence to nearby Muslims. I would suggest that the name "Western bacon burger" is somewhat a misnomer.

If that's really the case, then they should do with the rest of what they do on the menu -- offer an alternative to the real thing, not replace the real thing.

If someone doesn't like pork, they'll serve beef. If someone doesn't like pork or beef, they'll have a chicken sandwich. If someone want's Thai food instead of a burger, they now offer beef and chicken larb Carl's Jr. style. The beef larb there, BTW, isn't too bad. Hardly the traditional Thai version, but more like a carton of rice topped with small pieces of grilled hamburger, salsa and diced onions and some seasoning. Almost more like a Mexican version that a Thai dish, but I think it's priced at 69b???

The other downfall for their other premium burgers there (aside from the Jalapeno burger that uses a different Jack cheese) is the processed "cheddar cheese" slices they use on the rest of them. When it melts, it kind of takes on the appearance of melted plastic.

Chili Cheeseburger:

post-58284-0-91797500-1460905531_thumb.j

Teddy's Burgers, which opened their original location at Gateway Ekamai, has now opened another location at Central Pinklao, ground "G" floor.

Teddy's could offer their burger free and I would walk right on past.

I was in Gateway Ekamai a few months ago, noticed Teddy's advertising saying something like "Best Burger in Hawaii", and I headed straight for it. First time is last time there for me.

I have an electric meat grinder at home and make burgers from imported rib eye, so I know what a really good burger can taste like. Teddy's burger is nothing at all like that. The burger I was served at Teddy's tasted like it was ground over and over again to make the meat soft. Not tender, just soft. There is virtually no beef flavor, just that soft mush. I could write what I think they are doing, but I won't, because it's not nice to say.

You won't see me eating a Teddy's burger.

I wasn't impressed by Teddy's at Ekamai either, despite all the opening hoopla, and haven't gone back after an initial try. I have no idea or exposure to what they do in Hawaii, but I certainly know what they're doing here, and I didn't care for it at all. I believe I said as much in my review of them here earlier in this thread, after that original visit.

Here, BTW, is what the "bacon" looked like on a Western "Bacon" Cheeseburger at Carl's at Nana back in mid-2015. Mine actually looked a "bit" better than the one you posted above -- but not by much. bah.gif

post-58284-0-45083700-1460906276_thumb.j

Meanwhile, since this thread is about the "best" burgers in BKK and not the grossest looking and tasting ones as depicted above, let me offer a new review and photos of a different place that hasn't been mentioned in this thread before AFAIK, and that's the relatively new Hooters outlet on Sukhumvit Soi 15.

Perhaps unlike the even more newly opened Soi Nana branch, this one is entirely family friendly and not in the least sleazy. Took my Thai wife there the other day for lunch (she had no clue of what a Hooters was going in, never having been to the U.S.), and she enjoyed it (boy she enjoyed it--more on that later). And I do mean the burgers on offer, not the breasts. biggrin.png

First thing to say about Hooters Bangkok is, the food (including the burgers) is definitely overpriced. But then again, this is one of those places where you're paying (in part) for the experience (and the eye candy). So if you understand and accept that going in, then no problem. But as a partial remedy to that, Hooters also has an up to a 50% off food discount program through the wonderful Eatigo.com website. And if you use that and go during a time during the day when their 50% off food discount applies, then the menu prices are much more reasonable.

As for their burgers, which are only part of a much broader menu, I definitely thought they were OK. Their basic burger on the menu is their Build Your Own 1/2 pound burger for 410b nett. I've ordered that twice now, both times with the 50% off discount, so effectively was paying 205b for a half-pound patty of Australian beef, lettuce, tomato, fresh onion, and a side of curly fries on the side. This being Hooters, though, they also offer and pretty much encourage you to add-on a bunch of expensive extras.

post-58284-0-97450600-1460908523_thumb.j

For burger review purposes, however, I always try to stick to the basic burger or cheeseburger, and that's what I did here with just ordering their regular burger, no cheese, especially not as a 90b (45b) add-on. The best thing about the Hooters burger is the beef, which tasted good, was cooked to order, and was a satisfying size. No funky tastes or anything. And the bun was OK, nothing special. Fortunately, they don't slather the burger is some goopy sauce that you don't want. It's pretty much unadorned. The worst part for me was their use of thinly shredded iceberg lettuce, which I consider a bush-league burger move. That and the curly fries that, while curly, weren't much to get excited about. But overall, mainly because of the pleasant beef patty they serve up, it was a satisfying meal.

post-58284-0-24593500-1460908412_thumb.j

I wouldn't pay 410b for that burger, but I'd certainly take it for 205b, and enjoy the surrounding eye candy while I eat.

Meanwhile, I mentioned above that my Thai wife enjoyed her meal as well. I should note, this reasonably trim lady, while about half my weight and about 50 cm shorter than me, definitely loves her beef. So after perusing the menu, she pronounces to me that she wants to order their "Double D" (two half-pound patties) burger with your choice of cheese for what I think was a 740b nett price on the menu, which became 370b because of our discount. I was dubious, to say the least, but she ordered and ate most of it (though I ended up helping her out in the end).

post-58284-0-92763000-1460909038_thumb.j

When the waitress brought our order, she naturally assumed the double was for me and the single was for my wife, and was pretty surprised to find out the reverse was true. So, even for me, a double hamburger with 1 full pound of ground beef is a bit much, but it's there on the menu if you want it. In all other respects except for the included cheese and the two patties, it's the same as their single burger.

Speaking of their "Double D" burger, I should also mention, I have yet to see any Double D's on the serving staff there, but there are quite a few young and slim lasses working there, who look quite cute in their form-fitting shorts and clingy T-shirts. And as best as I can tell, every hour or so, the waitress staff all assemble, spread out around the room, and do a little (Hooters meets MK Suki) dance routine for a few minutes. As I said, it's an experience place... with decent burgers.

post-58284-0-04147700-1460909493_thumb.j

Archived