Moving from a condo to a suburban village - advice please

Hi,

So Ive always lived in either apartments or condos in Bangkok, the condo Im in right now Ive been in over 4 years and like it a lot (50sqm, 1 bed, next to an upper sukumwit BTS) but the owner is looking to sell it so its going to be time to move on soon and the Mrs and I are thinking about renting a house.

If we do move to a house I want to live in a village where they have amenities like a gym, pool and other things as thats what Im used to having at a condo and I use them several times a week where I am now. I dont have a car and as I dont work and dont really need to go anywhere regularly I dont really want to get one but one thing that concerns me is that both myself and my wife walk to the Max Value minimart many times during the week as well as doing other things like going to the 7-11 and I have a feeling that if we are in a village then having to call a taxi to go to these places could become a bind. Apart from that though I dont really have any concerns about the transportaiton side as we dont go anywhere that much so getting a taxi for the one or two trips we make a week would be fine but Id want to have lots of amenities in the village.

So if anyone can give any tips or thoughts on that Id be very helpful.

Also if anyone knows where I can find lists of villages in the eastern areas such as Bangna, Ladkrabang, Prawet or even Samut Prakan or places where I can find houses to rent in villages in these areas that would be great, Ive already checked out a lot of property sites such as DDproperty.com but there doesnt seem to be that many and Ive often seen the same properties listed over many websites and just wondering if theres other sources I can use.

Finally what can I expect to get in the 20k baht per month region?

thanks all!

Forgot one very important point....internet.

I use the internet a lot, all day long pretty much, where Im staying now I even have two connections, one with True and another with 3BB, neither of them are great but if one goes slow or stops working I just switch to the other.

How is internet in these kind of villages and is it possible to have two ISPs like this?

Check the plentiful new and existing gated home and townhouse communities south and east of Bangkok. DD does cover many of these projects. However, I found many that have a variety of amentities require extra fees. If you have little time for research, see if you can find another condo unit in an area of your interest for a short-term period. I expect before the end of 2015 a surplus in the Bangkok housing market that will present some bargain purchases, especially with used homes where owners cannot meet their mortages.

It won't be so many years from now that Bangkok with be flooded again, and again. It's not going to get any better, because some areas are actually bellow sea level, with the rest being very little above.

BKK to a village - quite a leap ... Why you need to live in a village where security might be on the low side and neighbors could keep you awake most hours of the night ? You could get a very nice house or condo incl. internet, Gym etc. for 20k in Chiang Mai

• Like 1

davejonesbkk.

What sort of budget do you have, what preference for areas etc?

There are a multitude of estates gated and otherwise that will fill your needs.

If you were able to be a bit more specific regarding that which you need or desire and where that may be located offers and advice will come to you

Edited by siampolee

To get all that.. Just find another condominium to rent in your existing complex.. Sorted!

I believe he was asking about a house, etc. and not another condo. Sorting is best left to the collector of information and not he deliverer.

Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer.

Muhammad Ali

davejonesbkk.

What sort of budget do you have, what preference for areas etc?

There are a multitude of estates gated and otherwise that will fill your needs.

If you were able to be a bit more specific regarding that which you need or desire and where that may be located offers and advice will come to you

I thought the OP gave quite a lot of info in his original post..........different comprehension obviously laugh.png

He said about 20k per month (second line from the end) and gave a list of general areas. I don't know BKK very well so maybe that is not specific enough?

If you have a good wife and kids and a car/truck. You will need a nice house----a room for you with Air-con.

Np problemsmile.png

A few friends help, but after a while -----being with the locals is golden. I live near a river and waterfalls, I enjoy fishing. I am near major citys----fun abounds!

Recently I moved from a condo to a house in a village, stayed in the house in the village for 2 nights, then packed up and moved to another apartment. Lost 10,000Bt on that little experience, Thai neighbors drove me mad for those 2 nights. House directly opposite they set up a karaoke amp every night and sat outside getting drunk and shouting their heads off into the microphone. Every bloody house had at least 1 barking dog, some had 2 or 3 barking dogs, I walk down the soi to a 7-11 and every damn dog is gnashing teeth at their gates at the sight of me. Yep 2 days in the Thai housing village was sufficient for me.

Have both TSF. That's why they laugh at little men like you!

Funny to add---you lost 10,000 baht??????????????????

It is literally 287.00 US dollars ---------I wonder what super nice condo you had?-------I wish I had a place for that Cheap!

Have just done the same thing after 6 years of apartment living, but with a kid on the way thought it was time to move to a bigger place. I moved from Sinarkarin/Bangna area to a bit further down the Bangna trad road.

Some advice, don't waste too much time with agents or their websites, i signed up with a couple and got offered 3 viewings over 2 weeks. As many will tell you it's best to look around yourself. There are many moobahns off the bangna trad rd that have communal pools and gyms but you should really only look at the middle class areas with single plot houses as to me these were all maintained well with good security.

I could not be happier with where we are, very quiet and now have room to swing a cat. PM me if you want the details.

• Like 1

wow this seems to be so negative, Im not sure if I should do this now! Is it really that bad??

Just to be clear Im talking about private, middle class, gated communities and I certainly wouldnt be expecting to have drunken people hanging out singing in the neighbourhood etc, does that normally happen??

Like I said Im thinking around the 20k price range, I might be tempted to go up to 25k for the right place and community but not sure yet....

Ive looked on websites like DD and some others but Id really like to hear directly from people who live in these places, its also quite hard to find out what villages there are out there, Ive jotted down a few that Ive whizzed past in taxis in Bangna trad road and other places and made some notes from other places but Googling these village names just brings up the same property sites and listings...

Edit: the areas Im looking at are these

Bangna, Ladkrabang, Prawet or even Samut Prakan

Im open to other suggestions in nearby areas though, have to stay close to the in-laws though! dry.png

Edited by davejonesbkk

BKK to a village - quite a leap ... Why you need to live in a village where security might be on the low side and neighbors could keep you awake most hours of the night ? You could get a very nice house or condo incl. internet, Gym etc. for 20k in Chiang Mai

20,000 baht a month!!! ???

in the villages just outside of Chiang Mai you can rent a beautiful Thai Mansion for 10,000 baht a month!!!

I would say that anybody paying 20,000 baht a month in rent in this " Third world Country " is being completely ripped off !!!

F.J wub.png ( kisses to you all viewers... x )

Recently I moved from a condo to a house in a village, stayed in the house in the village for 2 nights, then packed up and moved to another apartment. Lost 10,000Bt on that little experience, Thai neighbors drove me mad for those 2 nights. House directly opposite they set up a karaoke amp every night and sat outside getting drunk and shouting their heads off into the microphone. Every bloody house had at least 1 barking dog, some had 2 or 3 barking dogs, I walk down the soi to a 7-11 and every damn dog is gnashing teeth at their gates at the sight of me. Yep 2 days in the Thai housing village was sufficient for me.

Do you ever bring back nightmares of my 1 year in a village in Phitsanulok province. I had all of the above including roosters all night and the Wat morning sermon from speakers directly across the road. This can start around 5.00 a.m. Forget about a gym you will never find one. I am surprised your wife did not suggest moving close to her parents. That way the inlaws could come and visit and tell you about their broken motorbike or dead buffalo. You will die of boredom especially if you have no car. Stay in the city I moved back to Chiang Mai after one year. It took another year and a new g/f to steady my nerves again. I even quit drinking. Guess you could consider that a plus.

Prepare yourself for less security when living in a landed property.

Yes in a village you have a head man and he is the head honcho the big enchalada and what he says goes. He is judge and jury. Each village is an island unto itself.

in the villages just outside of Chiang Mai you can rent a beautiful Thai Mansion for 10,000 baht a month!!!

I would say that anybody paying 20,000 baht a month in rent in this " Third world Country " is being completely ripped off !!!

How is telling the OP the price of rentals in Chiang Mai helpful ? Try and read the OP before typing your nonsense.

He is looking at houses in BKK not some shack in Nakhon nowhere and there are plenty of Moobhans here with perfectly decent neighbours.

• Like 2

Oh dear, my place costs 47,000 a month- but then of course it is truly fabulous !

• Like 1

Unless you are talking 30+K from Chiang Mai....... rubbish.

Have both TSF. That's why they laugh at little men like you!

Funny to add---you lost 10,000 baht??????????????????

It is literally 287.00 US dollars ---------I wonder what super nice condo you had?-------I wish I had a place for that Cheap!

In your eagerness to be nasty you completely misunderstood. I said I lost 10,000Bt, meaning when i decided living in that house was a F'n nightmare I discussed this with the owner and got some of my rent + security back. It cost me 10,000Bt to spend 2 nights. I could have spent those 2 nights in a 5-star hotel for less.

And I'm sure they're laughing at me, probably a scam they got...we'll rent the house out to a farang, then set up the loudspeakers right up in front of his house and drive him mad with sleep deprivation, then when he can't take anymore and leaves we'll split the winnings.

Please, tell us the names of some of these villages around CM where you can rent a "Thai mansion" for 10,000 baht per month...

• Like 1