Orient Thai Airlines clarifies its emergency landing

webfact

Orient Thai Airlines clarifies its emergency landing

3-31-2015-9-32-08-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Orient Thai Airlines today dismissed a report that its flight OX682 from Phuket to Chengdu had made emergency landing at Kunming airport, saying it landed normally and safely with no passengers injured.

Defending the flight on its Facebook page, Orient Thai Airlines said its pilot and flight attendants have strictly abided by the aviation safety measures.

It dismissed a report that the plane developed engine trouble, sending it to plunge steeply, and causing some passengers to bleed from the noses and mouths.

It said the Flight OX682 departed Phuket for Chengdu with 132 passengers, pilot and eight crew members at 8.00 pm on Friday and was scheduled to arrive in Chengdu at 01.00 am the next day.

But at 11 pm of Bangkok time, it received message that the flight landed safely at Kunming airport with no passenger or crew members injured.

It said all flight attendants have performed their duties very well and none of them have screamed or in panic as claimed in the news report.

All passengers were checked into hotels for overnight stay and they were flown off the next day in another plane departing from Don Mueang airport. The plane landed safely at Chengdu at 5.30 pm (local time) on Sunday.

Orient Thai Airlines said that the incident happened because of a sudden change of air pressure in the cabin, thus forcing the oxygen masks to function automatically so as to enable passengers and flight attendants to wear.

It also said that the emergency landing at the nearest airport followed the international safety standard, and its pilot has performed correctly.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/orient-thai-airlines-clarifies-its-emergency-landing

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-01

I was on 737 old series once and one engine had to be shut down for some technical reason. No sudden drop, nosebleeds etc. Just a fairly normal landing at nearest airport where emergency crews were on standby.

Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 1

I was on 737 old series once and one engine had to be shut down for some technical reason. No sudden drop, nosebleeds etc. Just a fairly normal landing at nearest airport where emergency crews were on standby.

It wasn't a Oriant Thai plane though, was it??

Throughout aviation history, it took for planes, laden with hundreds of passengers to fall down from

above to earth to provoke the authorities to amend plane's design, aviation's rules and all around

flying safety, and Thailand is no different, it seems that the power that be are just waiting for

such event to occur to really wake up and make local aviation a lot safer that what it is today.

Or, maybe not... as life is cheap here and this is the cost of doing business..... just keep those

planes flying and the hell with the consequences....

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

"dismissed a report that its flight OX682 from Phuket to Chengdu had made emergency landing at Kunming airport, saying it landed normally and safely with no passengers injured"

If nothing went wrong, why did it land in Kunming, rather than its destination Chengdu. whistling.gif

A sort of bonus for flying that airline, a free side trip ?

Decades ago i flew Garuda from Jakarta to Denpasar and en route the pilot announced if passengers looked out the port windows we would see the crater of a dormant volcano. He then announced that since we had time in hand he would give us a closer look so he lost altitude and circled the volcano before returning to the original, and proper, flight path.

Some of the looks on faces were priceless and I wonder what those looks would be like nowadays with all that's happening in the airline industry.

I took his word for the fact the volcano was dormant and just hoped it was.

• Like 1

So I take the logo cover up paint spilled during mishap So in that case a good old lie will work. First jet engine's don't stall but they can flame out, so a steep dive could get turbine spinning to restart engine. That alone would cause drop in cabin pressure a drop say from 35,000 feet to 10,000 feet And to say no attendant panicked pure horse Poo, I seen how on a flight Flight attendants pushed passengers out of the way to get out. it is normal human nature. So Don't Thai me With that lie it costed you this passenger for sure.

• Like 1

Decades ago i flew Garuda from Jakarta to Denpasar and en route the pilot announced if passengers looked out the port windows we would see the crater of a dormant volcano. He then announced that since we had time in hand he would give us a closer look so he lost altitude and circled the volcano before returning to the original, and proper, flight path.

Some of the looks on faces were priceless and I wonder what those looks would be like nowadays with all that's happening in the airline industry.

I had that happen once too on a flight and everyone loved it. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful scene. That was before 9/11 though. The pilot would have gotten clearance from ATC for traffic in the area, but it wasn't a problem with anyone.

• Like 2

It wasn't a Oriant Thai plane though, was it??

Nope but this 737 was so old had wooden fold up trays lol

Now what could have caused a sudden change in cabin pressure? Faulty door seal? Maintainence issue?

Was ICAO correct?

Several things can cause this but based on sketchy reports it was the system from an engine to the cabin which has several parts and functions. This wasn't catastrophic decompression and I doubt it had to do with seals etc.

There is what they call an air bleed from an engine which provides the air. That air is then filtered, dehumidified if needed and temperature adjusted. Remember it is way below freezing up there.

I don't know a thing about working on those parts between the engine and the cabin so I'll tell you what I've always been taught. The air bleed from the engine is just a supply and after the air is processed as listed above there is still a pump to pump it into the cabin and create the final pressure. There are also controlled outlets for circulation to keep the air fresh and supplied with new air and oxygen.

On some planes what they call the air bleed could also have the pump and push the air through everything after pressurizing it. I don't even know which system is most common but it could be that the pump driven by and at the engine is common.

If I'm wrong about any of that someone will correct me, but basically that's how it works and I believe something failed in that system.

Edited by NeverSure

Orient Thai Airlines today dismissed a report that its flight OX682 from Phuket to Chengdu had made emergency landing at Kunming airport, saying it landed normally and safely with no passengers injured.

It also said that the emergency landing at the nearest airport followed the international safety standard, and its pilot has performed correctly.

So, liars, which was it, and emergency landing or not an emergency landing?

Geez, we know it's customary for asian cultures to lie, but try to do a job of it that is at least at the level of a four year old or better.

And here's the truth: you deviated from your flight path after an unexplained sudden cabin decompression, and landed at an airport not on the flight plan you filed that is an emergency landing.

Naahhh...it was just a side stop, a bonus for our valued customers to tour an extra city.

"dismissed a report that its flight OX682 from Phuket to Chengdu had made emergency landing at Kunming airport, saying it landed normally and safely with no passengers injured"

If nothing went wrong, why did it land in Kunming, rather than its destination Chengdu. whistling.gif

Nice.....But Garuda....I fly with them twice and the airplane looked like it was still the same you used decades before........

Heavy "Diesel" (whatever it was) smell inside. Really very strong.

Very strong vibrations from the engines.

aircon filled the room with fog, that much that you can't see much anymore.

uniforms from the stewardess looked like it was second hand bought from East Germany.

Everyone got a little water only.

Inside it looked very old

Most probably the airplane was fit, but these things let it appear different.

Nice.....But Garuda....I fly with them twice and the airplane looked like it was still the same you used decades before........

uniforms from the stewardess looked like it was second hand bought from East Germany.

You were probably smelling what Americans call kerosene and a refining of it called Jet A. It's just about one step above diesel when cracking a barrel of oil. It is standard jet fuel and quite smelly.

You were probably smelling what Americans call kerosene and a refining of it called Jet A. It's just about one step above diesel when cracking a barrel of oil. It is standard jet fuel and quite smelly.

yes.....But the smell was like they spilled a liter inside the cabin (my nose isn't sensitive, I smell things long after other people)....I guess they spilled a bit outside and in the Indonesian heat it evaporates faster. But still it makes the passenger afraid.....Some looked uncomfortable.........

Maybe moving the machine 10 meter and put a fan inside for 5 min would have fixed it (machine wasn't cool inside anyway).

It said all flight attendants have performed their duties very well and none of them have screamed or in panic as claimed in the news report.

Clarification: any screaming on the part of a flight attendant would have been the type of excited scream you hear on a roller-coaster ride, panicky screams are genetically impossible for a Thai flight attendant (except in the presence of a ghost)

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1

I had that happen once too on a flight and everyone loved it. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful scene. That was before 9/11 though. The pilot would have gotten clearance from ATC for traffic in the area, but it wasn't a problem with anyone.

I experienced the same in 1986 on my flight with Garuda from Frankfurt to Jakarta via Singapore. It still sits in my head as it was yesterday.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

Oh well! we are always in danger of being kill either on the road or at sea even in the air. That is life.

. Yes but you can narrow down your chances by not flying on something that looks like it has been recycled from the Mojave Desert.