Prayut and Thais must be wary of special laws

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Prayut and Thais must be wary of special laws

ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM

ARTICLE 44 of the post-coup provisional charter has become the hottest issue of debate now.

BANGKOK: -- Concerns have been raised after Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, in his capacity as leader of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), unveiled his plan to invoke Article 44 to replace the controversial martial law. This interim charter provision gives him absolute power as the NCPO chief.

Article 44 states that, "In the case where the head of the National Council for Peace and Order is of the opinion that it is necessary for the benefit of reform in any field and to strengthen public unity and harmony, or for the prevention, disruption or suppression of any act which undermines public peace and order or national security, the monarchy, national economics or administration of state affairs, whether that act emerges inside or outside the Kingdom, the head of the National Council for Peace and Order shall have the powers to issue any order to disrupt or suppress regardless of the legislative, executive or judicial force of that order. In this case, that order, act or any performance in accordance with that order is deemed to be legal, constitutional and conclusive, and it shall be reported to the National Legislative Assembly president and the prime minister without delay."

It means that when he invokes Article 44, General Prayut will have the powers over all three branches of government - the executive, the legislative and the judicial.

Observers compare Article 44 to Article 17 of the "Administrative Charter of 1959", when Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat was serving as prime minister.

The clause states that, "Pending operation of this Administrative Charter, if the prime minister finds it desirable to prevent, abate or suppress an act giving rise to the subversion of national security, the throne, the national economy or state business, or an act that can contribute to the disturbance of or threat against public peace or public policy, destruction of national resources or deterioration of public health, whether it comes to pass prior to or following the entry into operation of this Administrative Charter, the prime minister, upon a resolution of the Council of Ministers, shall be bestowed with the power to issue any order or to perform any act whatsoever.

"Such an order or act, or the observance thereof, shall be deemed lawful. Upon issuance of any order or performance of any act in virtue of the foregoing paragraph, the prime minister shall inform the National Assembly thereof."

At that time, Sarit had cited the controversial clause in ordering the execution of 11 people. It is not surprising that many people have become afraid that a replacement to the martial law may be something more scary.

It is understood that the government has decided to lift martial law in order to reduce pressure from foreign countries. However, foreign countries are unlikely to look only at the nomenclature of the new law; they will also scrutinise its content and its jurisdiction.

If the new law has the same implications as martial law or has even more severe measures that may result in more infringement of rights, they will conclude that the status quo remains.

If claims by some government figures are any indication, the new order to be issued under Article 44 will not be that scary. The new order will replace martial law and it is not an order to summon or arrest anyone. So, the order in essence is likely to be more relaxing than martial law.

This may reflect General Prayut's promise that Article 44 will be used constructively.

The prime minister also plans to invoke his power under Article 44 to solve the problems in the Thai aviation industry following a threat by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) to downgrade Thailand for failure to meet standards.

Government supporters say they do not think General Prayut would invoke Article 44 in the same way as Sarit's use of Article 17.

However, there is no guarantee that the powers-that-be will not exercise their widespread power in a negative way. The power under the provisional charter is comprehensive and free from scrutiny.

History tells us that it is risky to rely on someone with absolute power. In fact, even an elected prime minister should not wield this kind of massive power.

However, as the country is now in a special situation, we just hope that General Prayut is aware of the risks of having such power. He should renounce the power and return the country to normalcy as soon as possible.

More importantly, he should not allow Thai people to "get addicted" to a special law, or we will end up being unable to solve the country's problems through normal laws in the future.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-and-Thais-must-be-wary-of-special-laws-30257235.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-02

He should do this, he should do that !

Great but please remember who is being spoken about. He will only do what he thinks should be done and forget the ' constructive use ' promise.

I sincerely hope if the Art 44 powers have to be used it's sparingly and wisely but ... !

Such absolute power, in the hands of a universally-revered/benevolent/wise/impartial person with impeccable integrity and a proven track record, might be more palatable.

Such a person is very rare, and none of the current cast of characters (Thaksin/Abhisit/Yingluck/Suthep/Prayuth) qualify.

H#ll, not even a TVF member qualify.

How about :

"Law breakers should be wary of all laws"

Those who don't break the law should have no problems at all.

Similar disgusting sentiments were expressed by supporters of Nazi and Soviet "laws".
International media are reporting that the military can now round up any one it pleases, hold them in definately without charges and trial and they will be interrogated by special investigators from a special army unit. Thailand is being looked down on by the world.
Show the link if you are quoting this.

Be careful what you wish for,....

Be careful what you say, more like.

No matter who is in power our beloved Thailand is getting ab-USED by the ignorant elite who serve their self interest...

Go way! That's nearly a democracy. cheesy.gif

How about :

Similar disgusting sentiments were expressed by supporters of Nazi and Soviet "laws".
International media are reporting that the military can now round up any one it pleases, hold them in definately without charges and trial and they will be interrogated by special investigators from a special army unit. Thailand is being looked down on by the world.

Except for Obama, who is kicking furniture in a White House tirade screaming, "Why can't I do that!"

How about :

Yes, that's right.

Like the 58 year old man that wrote on his facebook page, and is now in prison for 25 years with no right to appeal.

And the 62 year old man that put graffiti on a wall, now in prison for 15 years with no right to appeal.

Then there's the two 24 year old university students, that acted in a university play 5 years ago. When they were 19 years old. 10 years with no right to appeal.

And another university student that commented to a friend in a private message. That friend then reported him.

2 years with no right to appeal.

People just need to realise that these actions are a threat to national security and they will be punished accordingly to protect the institutions of Thailand.

Isn't that right Robbynz.??

Spot on!!

Be the real scary thing is, that those people would have received the same sentences under a civil elected government!!

Because in Thailand "national security" equals protecting the rights of the ruling elite.

And sadly to achieve that, they have a tool, that can not be questioned................

To keep it within forum rules, I will leave it there........................

• Like 2

While I cannot support the draconian Article 44 and everything it stands for and the predictable excessive use of it's powers.

We in the West have a few article 44's ourselves in our anti terrorism laws,. We were told the terrorists are jealous of our freedom and want to take that freedom from us, the ones who stole our freedom we're our own politicians and we rolled over and just let them do it, did it stop the terrorists?

How about :

That is rather over simplistic thinking. It sort of rings of guilty until proven innocent. There are questions of due process.

>> the head of the National Council for Peace and Order shall have the powers to issue any order to disrupt or suppress regardless of the legislative, executive or judicial force of that order. In this case, that order, act or any performance in accordance with that order is deemed to be legal, constitutional and conclusive, and it shall be reported to the National Legislative Assembly president and the prime minister without delay."<< Quote

The head of NCPO (Mr P) has to report to the president of the NLA (handpicked by Mr P) and to the PM (Mr P).

With that equation no risk of Mr P's biggest fear: Too much democracy......................whistling.gif

How about :

Given the fact that read books and eat sandwiches will lead you to jail, I am afraid you are not right... And given the fact that under art. 44 Gen. Prayuth IS now the law, whatever he likes, I would not feel really safe...

How about :

Show the link if you are quoting this.
You didn't get the memo? Members have been warned not to post links to outside media sites unless they are pro Junta and Prayuth. As in the warning posting links of another site will be seen as writing it yourself and will be warned/suspended. You can look it up yourself there are numerous international media sites on the web covering this. My appologies but some of are now being restricted in providing evidence as it is not pro Junta and against forum rules. I have posted links but they have been deleted. Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

Such absolute power, in the hands of a universally-revered/benevolent/wise/impartial person with impeccable integrity and a proven track record, might be more palatable.

Such a person is very rare, and none of the current cast of characters (Thaksin/Abhisit/Yingluck/Suthep/Prayuth) qualify.

I guess we can also rule out another prominent figure, then. One who is ostensibly authorizing all this nonsense.

How about :

Add to that, "Those who break laws but can grant themselves amnesty, should have no problems at all."

We can thank the Interim Charter and draft 2015 Constitution for that.

• Like 1

"which has seen civil liberties eroded since the army declared martial law and seized power from an elected government last May." - THIS has got to be the biggest "fib" ever, since that so-called "democratically elected" government was wrought with Vote-Buying on an embarrassingly huge scale; Intimidation; so-called "Benficial Scheme Promises to benefit those population-groups who are vast in number, but very limited in understanding - and much more underhanded tactics ! ! If THAT is "democratically elected" - then pigs will soon start to fly . . . . . . .

Now; apparently, Thailand is "suffocating under a tough Military Junta" who has been "systematically curtailing democratic freedoms" . . . . well; I have lived/worked in this wonderful country for a little over 22 years and I can assure you that I am not suffocating; in fact - this country has never felt better and the only people who are feeling some pressure are those who strive to benefit (big time) over the backs of the working class in Thailand.

A number of years ago, I was asked what the best manner of "Government" would be ( for any nation) and the answer is very simple; it's called:

"a Benevolent Dictator"

and voila; here we have a very brave Thai' General, who stood-up in the middle of a very dire (for the country and its future !) situation and slammed his fist on the table and said: "Enough is Enough" ! ! !

General Prayuth is NOT out to, and/or motivated by GREED, but by the desire of ALL thinking Thai' people, to bring this country into the 21st Century in terms of re-organizing this society to where there's Equality, Freedom-from-Corruption and; Fair-Laws & Fair Legal- Institutions;- ultimately a DEMOCRACY to best serve the good people of Thailand !

General Prayuth and his efforts to achieve these goals (extremely difficult as it may seem !) is supported by the vast majority of Thais - and I, for one, salute him !

wai2.gif

• Like 1

"which has seen civil liberties eroded since the army declared martial law and seized power from an elected government last May." - THIS has got to be the biggest "fib" ever, since that so-called "democratically elected" government was wrought with Vote-Buying on an embarrassingly huge scale; Intimidation; so-called "Benficial Scheme Promises to benefit those population-groups who are vast in number, but very limited in understanding - and much more underhanded tactics ! ! If THAT is "democratically elected" - then pigs will soon start to fly . . . . . . .

Now; apparently, Thailand is "suffocating under a tough Military Junta" who has been "systematically curtailing democratic freedoms" . . . . well; I have lived/worked in this wonderful country for a little over 22 years and I can assure you that I am not suffocating; in fact - this country has never felt better and the only people who are feeling some pressure are those who strive to benefit (big time) over the backs of the working class in Thailand.

A number of years ago, I was asked what the best manner of "Government" would be ( for any nation) and the answer is very simple; it's called:

"a Benevolent Dictator"

and voila; here we have a very brave Thai' General, who stood-up in the middle of a very dire (for the country and its future !) situation and slammed his fist on the table and said: "Enough is Enough" ! ! !

General Prayuth is NOT out to, and/or motivated by GREED, but by the desire of ALL thinking Thai' people, to bring this country into the 21st Century in terms of re-organizing this society to where there's Equality, Freedom-from-Corruption and; Fair-Laws & Fair Legal- Institutions;- ultimately a DEMOCRACY to best serve the good people of Thailand !

General Prayuth and his efforts to achieve these goals (extremely difficult as it may seem !) is supported by the vast majority of Thais - and I, for one, salute him !

wai2.gif

Why did you post the exact same thing on the other thread? It makes it appear you are on the payroll, which of course you aren't.

• Like 1

All one needs to do is look at how many LM cases and Computer crimes cases have happened in the past 11 months compared to any other time.

These cases are being dealt with at an alarming rate compared to othet high profile ones, and mostly by the military courses I believe, although I'm willing to be corrected on that part.

I agree that there shouid be laws to protect the monarchy but there's abuse and then there's abuse!!

There saying things out of frustration and then three saying things with venom, the good PM knows this all too well.

It's also interesting to see who has been jailed for LM in recent weeks, which goes unreported on TVF mostly, it's not random in the slightest.

tx22cb ..... what about this guy..? The eyes of all look toward thee, O Lord ...... Is he that "rare" person...? wai2.gif

"a Benevolent Dictator"

wai2.gif

You must be one of his PR people smile.png . I have been trying to think of a term for your post. I have it. It's absolute rubbish. Freedom from corruption. Look at home first and start there. I pity you for your delusional believe.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 2