Do you wear socks with your sandals?

There is a slightly serious side to this.

My friend walked around his rented apartment in bare feet all the time. One day he had something stick in the sole of his foot. His girlfriend tried to dig it out (he was too tight-fisted to go to a clinic). Anyway, he ended up in intensive care in BPH, nearly lost his leg and was presented with a bill for over 300,000 baht before discharging himself and getting on a plane back to the UK to continue treatment, where he was in hospital for a further 10 days. What it was, I don't know, but flip-flops or socks may well have avoided this.

That's why I always wear flip-flops around the house and ignore this business of taking off shoes/flip flops and advise any visitors it's not necessary.

I wear socks with my sandals or sometimes trainers, when I am in Bangkok or Pattaya, every time I go out at night, I keep about 1000 Bt down them to foil those

ladyboy pickpockets, or any other pick pockets.

evrery pocket picker and ladyboy knows that you hide

your bucks in the sockets !

put them somewhere else !!

There is a slightly serious side to this.

My friend walked around his rented apartment in bare feet all the time. One day he had something stick in the sole of his foot. His girlfriend tried to dig it out (he was too tight-fisted to go to a clinic). Anyway, he ended up in intensive care in BPH, nearly lost his leg and was presented with a bill for over 300,000 baht before discharging himself and getting on a plane back to the UK to continue treatment, where he was in hospital for a further 10 days. What it was, I don't know, but flip-flops or socks may well have avoided this.

That's why I always wear flip-flops around the house and ignore this business of taking off shoes/flip flops and advise any visitors it's not necessary.

socks will not prevent you off this,

sandals might be ! yes !!

But when I go under shower,

I take off both !! 55555

in winter time in my country I don't wear sandals,

with shoes and sport shoes I always wear sockes,

if I do a longer trip in hot countrys with sandals I wear socks,

on dayly basis in Thai, I wear sandals, more easy sjust slippers when take them off, but wo socks;

If I go somewhere for business, Gvt, Immigration,

never evr with sandals

sadals in office or GVT = Scandal !!

On beach with sandals I never wear socks !

Never bearfeet on grass or public streets, roads !!

No socks,likes to be neekid at all times,are you the spot the white socks

man wearing white socks over the age of 20 is leaning on the faggy side.

If one opts to wear white socks with sandals, it is no more "faggy" than going "neekid". It's a personal choice and none of my business.

Describing someone or something as "faggy" is crude, outdated and says a lot about the person using the term.

No socks,likes to be neekid at all times,are you the spot the white socks

man wearing white socks over the age of 20 is leaning on the faggy side.

If one opts to wear white socks with sandals, it is no more "faggy" than going "neekid". It's a personal choice and none of my business.

Describing someone or something as "faggy" is crude, outdated and says a lot about the person using the term.

Oops doggie, mind Ben's handbag now.

Sandals,

A bit of an 'old duffer' western weirdness I never understand.

If you're gonna wear them might as well wear socks, it won't make you look any worse.

Shoes or flipflops, depending on your activity at the time.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

30 odd years ago, I climbed the wooden staircase in my house in BKK wearing socks. I slipped and damaged my knee so severely that I recently had to have a total knee replacement after several years of agonizing arthritis. I strongly recommend not wearing socks indoors Thailand!

• Like 1

No Costas...

Only the first day and evening in Thailand many years ago, as I presumed it was polite dress code. But quickly I realized that only ”old men wear socks in sandals” – some friends were so kind to tell me, and later I read that it’s “common knowledge” – so I have never ever since even considered socks as a possibility; rather freeze in an aircon-cold VIP-night-bus en route up Isaan in January, where it’s colder outside than inside the cooled down bus, than wearing socks... whistling.gif

We all have pride – I don’t want to be mistaken for “an old man”... biggrin.png

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

Never worn sandals. My Father did when I was young and he wore sock. How embarrasing but he's about the same age as Costas so it's probably a generational thing or they are both uncool. I'm sure the kids of today think I'm totally uncool.

Socks with my trainers (sneakers) and barefoot with flip flops.

• Like 1

I do. When it is quite late and i have to run to the ciggy shop before it closes. I throw on my false birkenstocks and away i go. But would never during the day, unless i had a horrible foot complaint.

You have to let your toes breathe. And i can tell you, in Europe we wear socks for months - the minute the sun comes out - off with the socks.

• Like 1