Rain again.

backstairs

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible winds at Northern Phuket. Planes can not land to the Phuket airport and are now circling around.

Yeah violent winds, that messy storm arrived so fast we were just looking on the Patong webcam...

Their daily timelapse show on youtube not too bad but might worth an upgrade to real HD someday if its possible.

Other then that It's a great prediction tool at this time of the year for sure thumbsup.gif

It's called Dead Reckoning.

Knowing your position at the beginning and then using various methods to calculate speed and course during the journey to the final destination.

Before the advent of GPS, all navigation was done this way.

Edited by KarenBravo

Thanks for the term. I understand the concept, but was quite amazed it's still used on those transponders. I'll put Oriental Thai to my no-fly list.

You mean it wasn't on your no-fly list before?

You know that flight OG-269 which crashed in Phuket was previously called One-Two-Go airlines. They changed the name after the crash to Orient Thai.

Before One-Two-Go, they were called Thai Orient. They are banned from European airspace due to sub-standard safety.

Thanks for the term. I understand the concept, but was quite amazed it's still used on those transponders. I'll put Oriental Thai to my no-fly list.

You mean it wasn't on your no-fly list before?

You know that flight OG-269 which crashed in Phuket was previously called One-Two-Go airlines. They changed the name after the crash to Orient Thai.

Before One-Two-Go, they were called Thai Orient. They are banned from European airspace due to sub-standard safety.

Ha Ha ... I call it one-2-crash. Not long after that deadly crash I had to fly up to Bangkok on an emergency, first flight out was that one-2-crash airline. I took it, but never again.

When they were Thai Orient they used to fly Phuket to Utapao with a short stop in Don Muang. I flew twice with them in the early nineties.

The plane was a Boeing 727. It was so old that all the passenger seats were covered in real leather and the windows had curtains.

The pilot was an old American fella. Fantastic pilot. You wouldn't even know you landed until you were taxiing. The touch-down was that smooth.

Edited by KarenBravo

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they would remove all that clutter on the rain radar (especially 240 Km range) at the airport. The north west side always shows 'rain' clutter. Been like that since it came back on line a few weeks ago.

Agree. And from the rain clutter you see off the coast, then it goes sort of blank, worthless. Been using a different accuweather radar.

• 2 weeks later...

Must say that it's been a shity weather week + .... very depressing. Electric/internet/cable Tv not so reliable.

My internet has been OK, but my digital cable has gone screwy, showing various messages on all channels. None clear:

E030-0 P-Key mismatch

E103-0 ECM Rejected

CTH Bangkok were no help - "Go to Rawai cable". dry.png

Huge storm started about 0500am.

Heaps of close lightning woke all, had the dogs trying to squeeze under the bed and tripped our new surge protector switch.

Still pissing down, pool's overflowing, and I just checked the web cams for Patong and Karon - both are white outs with the solid rain.

Rain predicted for another three days.

402 near Sapham School south bound several power poles have or are in the process of falling across the road. I was northbound luckily. Looks like they are going to have to close at least 2 possibly all lanes southbound to fix it. There's a landslide and a wall down too.

Traffic is building already. Avoid if you can.