Tourism rebounds after martial law ended

Thaivisa News

Geezus Gunna, get a new Thai teacher. The language does indeed have a future past and present tense.

It doesn't actually. There are means of adapting a sentence to achieve this however, such as saying gum lung (...ing) in front of a verb for present continuous tense, for a past tense meaning you have to insert a time aspect, as you do with the future. They also say laio to emphasise that something is in the past eg: gin laio or eat already. If someone returns from the market you say - go market come already.

If this isn't past tense, then what is it?

• Like 1

Technically it's adding an adverb to indicate the expected time of action. Example in English: The president leaves for China next weekend. We are using the simple present tense 'leaves' to talk about a future action by appending the appropriate adverb or adverbial phrase 'next weekend'. Another example is the historical present tense, in which we can use present tense forms to talk about the past.

Having said that, this is a distinction without much of a difference. It's the present tense inflected to the future by use of an adverb. Most languages that don't neatly conjugate their verbs into tenses (as we're accustomed to) do this to some extent.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 2

Tourists have been massing at the borders of the surrounding countries for months in preparation for this news, staying in disused refugee camps and budget hostels. In scenes similar to the NYE countdown they celebrated the much anticipated event. Officials could barely stamp their passports fast enough as they flooded through the checkpoints clutching discount vouchers for everything from jet skis to gemstones.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, needs his head examined.

If he tells us that the tourists started flooding the country because of the lift of martial law, 4 days ago, and the future of the economy is all roses because of the government steps, he is either lying or hasn't got the brain to understand the real truth.

Hope we are not going back listening to government rhetorics without any substance.

You just violated Article 44. Start looking over your shoulders when you proceed to speak again. That is all.

• Like 1

If he tells us that the tourists started flooding the country because of the lift of martial law, 4 days ago, and the future of the economy is all roses because of the government steps, he is either lying or hasn't got the brain to understand the real truth.

Hope we are not going back listening to government rhetorics without any substance.

Deputy PM said " the government expects the tourism rebound "

The poorly educated journalist wrote "rebounds"

The Thai language doesn't have a future or past tense so when some writers translate to English they use the wrong tense.

Thai doesn't have future/past tense, but according to this Thai Language site, there are "time words" that modify the verb to indicate past or future. Maybe the translator didn't know the English tense to use (assuming the original Thai was indicating past/future)?

• Like 1

Geezus Gunna, get a new Thai teacher. The language does indeed have a future past and present tense.

It doesn't actually. There are means of adapting a sentence to achieve this however, such as saying gum lung (...ing) in front of a verb for present continuous tense, for a past tense meaning you have to insert a time aspect, as you do with the future. They also say laio to emphasise that something is in the past eg: gin laio or eat already. If someone returns from the market you say - go market come already.

In English we say words like eat, eaten, eating - Thai doesn't have single word meanings like this, they have to infer it in a variety of ways as described in my previous post.

Deputy PM said " the government expects the tourism rebound "

The poorly educated journalist wrote "rebounds"

The Thai language doesn't have a future or past tense so when some writers translate to English they use the wrong tense.

The story in 100% externally unattributed so the only "poorly educated journalist" pulling headlines out of his ass works at TV's news department.

Click-baiters the lot of 'em IMHO.

That was quick!!!! martial law lifted 4 days ago, tourism already booming 4 days after... Thailand, the hub of funny news. And clowns as well.

And not only that but the 'high spending tourists from Europe and the US', otherwise known as the ever elusive 'quality tourists' are flocking back...

Ain't that a scream ? 'High quality tourists' who stopped coming to this country about 15 years ago for reasons which are obvious to any honest person around here, have decided that Buthan, Myanmar, Papua and the like are not so interesting after all, compared to the charms of Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiangmai and Phuket. And that only 4 days after martial law was lifted - or should I say 'facelifted' ?

One thing that will never need to 'rebound' is self-delusion because that is not about to disappear.

• Like 1

I agree with your reasoning Costas, I don't believe this one iota. This is the usual crapola that Thais are fed by the bucket load. Keep them in the dark and feed them BS.

I would like to say "you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all the time" .... but TIT.

I just find it incredible that these drop-kicks really believe that everyone believes these "instant" sprukings.

• Like 1

high-spending tourists from Europe and the United States, so I take it that the bigger spending Chinese with their 1 billion baht spending money a day for each tourist are now out of favour with the Thailand statistician’s, I am sure an extra few tourists from Europe and the States will come over for the Songkran for a piss up and a laugh, while the rest of us go into hiding.

How do they know, or can predict the increase of tourists due to the End of Marshal law? With the water festival now upon us, which is a busy time of the year, its hard to say. I don't think the Martial law has anything to do with tourist. They come regardless of the government. If your not a criminal, it has no Bering.

Seriously!!! I pity Thailand, as your new leaders are completely clueless. In reality their tourist numbers will be way down just as their exports are. A BS overinflated currency will be sure to take care of that!

• Like 1

Thai logic 101: something is bad, facts all agree with that assessment, but simply saying that something is happening or is expected to happen makes everythimg all ok once again for the numpties that take things at face value.

It's been 4 days, they cannot possibly have seen any "actual" rebound as yet, they're simply saying they expect it to happen. Let's wait and see. I'm guessing TAT will announce some amazingly high arrival numbers soon to support these "facts".

Ye, after TAT HAVE BEEN TOLD WHAT TO SAY.

He said it is expected to rise, which is the governments position.

So he is acting solely as spokesperson for an expected positive outcome.

Kuhn Pridiyathorn has a decade long reputation for making

90% more common sense economic statements than most everyone else.

So I'll give him a little benefit for having to just 'do his spokesman's job' here, as he is instructed.

He cannily couches it in positive, but not specific terms, ones that can be met eventually,

yet get his masters happy with the pronouncement in real time.

It must be appreciated that as Martial Law is lifted more domestic tourism is encouraged.... Clearly the PM has decided to set an example to enjoy the health giving fresh air around Chiang Mai today - hope the flight was not delayed with the return of the "Haze" .

Yes, didn't you know millions of Europeans and Americans went ahead and booked holidays in Thailand upon hearing the news. Phuket airport is already reporting a 20% increase in passengers this weekend. Hahaha

Thai logic 101: something is bad, facts all agree with that assessment, but simply saying that something is happening or is expected to happen makes everythimg all ok once again for the numpties that take things at face value.

It's been 4 days, they cannot possibly have seen any "actual" rebound as yet, they're simply saying they expect it to happen. Let's wait and see. I'm guessing TAT will announce some amazingly high arrival numbers soon to support these "facts".

Numbers are whatever a government wants them to be. Quote "the people should not be overly concerned because the government is working to strengthen the economic fundamentals, he said." This statement really scares me because when a government is saying they are working well things then really start to unravel. Things work better when government do nothing but sit back and soak up the credit.

So the Govrenment is now using the travel insurance mantra. Didn't hear any Government spokesman mention this during martial law when they were stating that everything was still fine for tourists.

All crap anyway. Travel insurance could always be purchased and it was perfectly valid unless a claim was a direct or indirect result of martial law. Plenty of people have had claims paid during this period and I have yet to find anyone who had a claim denied purely down to the fact that martial law was in place. If anyone does know of such an incidence please post.

• Like 1

"The Power of Positive Thinking" ... A 1970s fad. Didn't work then ... just as dismal now. Who needs a time machine? I love Thailand.

w00t.gif

• Like 1