Tourism rebounds after martial law ended

Thaivisa News

What a crock of .......... Once the tourists see that Martial law has been replace with The Generals Law and warning notices start to appear you will see a steady reduction in tourists and a slow exodus of foreign investment too. But hay that could be a real boost for the Thai economy. Time will tell only glad we got out before all this ..... hit the fan.

It won't change a thing! You really think tourists have any understanding of Article 44? You believe that they even care?

This is the problem, unless this gets out into the international media and people actually understand what is going on they will never make a change.

In fact if Article 44 or Martial Law were banded about on every civilized newspaper, the people would still come here as long as the hotels were clean and a shag cost less than 20USD!

Tourism is up this week because of Easter hoidays and Songkran coming up. When all that is over it's back to reporting the low numbers for the rest of the year.

This Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, needs his head examined.

If he tells us that the tourists started flooding the country because of the lift of martial law, 4 days ago, and the future of the economy is all roses because of the government steps, he is either lying or hasn't got the brain to understand the real truth.

Hope we are not going back listening to government rhetorics without any substance.

Deputy PM said " the government expects the tourism rebound "

The poorly educated journalist wrote "rebounds"

The Thai language doesn't have a future or past tense so when some writers translate to English they use the wrong tense.

Thanks for the explanation.

Even I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration given it has only happened 4 days ago.

Do hope when the general got a few minutes he will do something about the poor quality of national media.

Edited by Basil B

The Thai language doesn't have a future or past tense so when some writers translate to English they use the wrong tense.

Technically speaking, English too does not have a future tense. But both Thai and English are quite capable of indicating future events. It is the ThaiVisa headline that is misleading and lost in translation. Of course proclaiming that tourism will rebound remains just wishful thinking based upon the Thai animist notion that if you think it and repeat it that it will happen. Sort of like prayer.

• Like 1

Seventy per cent of Thailand's GDP growth comes from exports. Thus far, almost flat

Thirty per cent comes from domestic consumption, government and business investment. The Junta-led government has consistently refused to make massive investments in the Thai economy. Domestic consumption is burdened with increasingly out of control household debt.

Obviously, even if tourism increases for 2013, its contribuition to GDP growth will be insignificant. From an economic perspective, reound of tourism alone will not help the economy AS A WHOLE rebound. It is a false sense of security to think otherwise. Thailand's economic survival relies solely on EXPORTS.

Edited by Srikcir
  • Like 1

Who exactly is TAT trying to convince? Anyone with a quarter of a brain can see stats from one week are noise. My guess is they have to spew out this garbage or lose their jobs.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to pump out this crap, I'd resign and call it a day. But then again, I'm not Thai.

• Like 1

Thai logic 101: something is bad, facts all agree with that assessment, but simply saying that something is happening or is expected to happen makes everythimg all ok once again for the numpties that take things at face value.

It's been 4 days, they cannot possibly have seen any "actual" rebound as yet, they're simply saying they expect it to happen. Let's wait and see. I'm guessing TAT will announce some amazingly high arrival numbers soon to support these "facts".

There you go with the logic and facts. If you were a media outlet you'd be summoned for an attitude adjustment, unless you wore red, in which case you'd be closed down and sent to jail.

Who exactly is TAT trying to convince? Anyone with a quarter of a brain can see stats from one week are noise. My guess is they have to spew out this garbage or lose their jobs.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to pump out this crap, I'd resign and call it a day. But then again, I'm not Thai.

Now, now, no need to resign. Just hire a local.

What a croc of shit, it cant rebound that fast and have the results all within a few days.

That's what you call media control in disguise under the ARTICLE CODE NUMBER "THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED" .....

Obviously, even if tourism increases for 2013, its contribuition to GDP growth will be insignificant. From an economic perspective, reound of tourism alone will not help the economy AS A WHOLE rebound. It is a false sense of security to think otherwise. Thailand's economic survival relies solely on EXPORTS.

It is the far higher net profit margins with tourism that increases its significance not only to the gross GDP, but to the player's involved. And there are some very high sakdina players who own some of the top tourist properties.

• Like 1

Ha ha, what a joke these people in charge are. There is no way lifting of martial law is going to make people change there mind and return to thailand. The Europeans, Americans, Australians, are much wiser, and have had enough. There are so many countries nearby to explore now, so this coupled with the beach chair circus, why would they come back. Look forward to welcoming the arabs, chinese, these people spend money eh, helping local small businesses, no, I think not

• Like 1

It is unbelievable how any of the mouthpieces for this country are able to keep their jobs after the endless nonsense they say/write. If nothing else, they should be publicly shamed so massive face is lost due to their ignorance and lack of fact checking or downright lies / propaganda.

I suppose they're safe because they're doing it for the country and telling porkies is a way of life here especially at official level.

There's lies, damned lies and Thai statistics.

• Like 1

That was quick!!!! martial law lifted 4 days ago, tourism already booming 4 days after... Thailand, the hub of funny news. And clowns as well.

All these high end European tourists have been sitting by thier phones watching Thailand like a stockbroker watches the markets. As soon as martial law was lifted the phones went into melt down and agents where swamped. Down side is the hotels will now need all those rooms and the 50% off deals for Thais will have to end.
  • Like 1

At the shop in the soi this morning i was talking to a neighbour, both she and her husband are civil servants, who asked what my Songkran plans were and the answer was the usual, stock up and batten down the hatches until it's all over.

In response to the same question from me her answer was the usual, visiting her and her husband's parents. i said that TAT regard them as domestic tourists but she wouldn't have it as visiting family isn't tourism, they will not be using hotels or doing anything that tourists do and definitely no tourist like spending.

Try telling TAT that this is the normal Songkran holiday story but of course it doesn't suit their propaganda.

• Like 1

Technically speaking, English too does not have a future tense. But both Thai and English are quite capable of indicating future events. It is the ThaiVisa headline that is misleading and lost in translation. Of course proclaiming that tourism will rebound remains just wishful thinking based upon the Thai animist notion that if you think it and repeat it that it will happen. Sort of like prayer.

Technically speaking, English has a clear cut future tense. Ever heard of the modal auxiliary verb 'will'? I will, will you? It is nothing but a possible/probable/intended future event. In addition, while people are at it discussing the title of the thread, Thai does indeed have an adverb modifier directly equivalent to that of 'ago' which also identifies past tense, and adverb modifiers from which future tense of an event can be inferred. To say any language has no future or past tense is moronic (not referring to Johpa).

Anyway, back to the topic: codswallop.

• Like 1

Tourism rebounds? Didn't the TAT say that Martial Law was proving to be a good thing for tourism and that number were increasing daily because of it.

So what they said previously was an outright lie because now they admit that foreigners couldn't get travel insurance?

I've read some clap-trap propaganda in my time but none are more creative, stupid and outright moronic than under a Junta.

I wonder how they are going to spin Article 44 as a positive move towards democracy and pushing up the number of tourists.

come on now!!! Surely you can remember all of the idiotic and moronic comments the YL gov made during their admin? The stuff we read now is minor compared to what was in the news under her admin......

SEriously though.....You have to think who gets their numbers here and how they are educated,..Since most thais copy their work and pass every course then go out to work claiming to be experts it is clear that TAT must truly believe what information they give to the press....

Let's also think about the fact that there is a problem with Thai airplanes....this will surely be used later as an excuse why the tourism didn't increase like TAT thought it would... and then there is the Russian economy...

And now! The world is beginning to argue that article 44 is worse than martial law. I am certain this will get tourism boosted so TATs speculations can be a reality....

I sometimes wonder if Mr. P actually believes what TAT tells him as well as their petty excuses why they were wrong EVERY TIME......I hope he doesn't.

• Like 1

Technically speaking, English has a clear cut future tense. Ever heard of the modal auxiliary verb 'will'? I will, will you? It is nothing but a possible/probable/intended future event. In addition, while people are at it discussing the title of the thread, Thai does indeed have an adverb modifier directly equivalent to that of 'ago' which also identifies past tense, and adverb modifiers from which future tense of an event can be inferred. To say any language has no future or past tense is moronic (not referring to Johpa).

Anyway, back to the topic: codswallop.

Throw in ' going to ' to also show future intent and that about does it.

• Like 1

Tourism rebounds? Didn't the TAT say that Martial Law was proving to be a good thing for tourism and that number were increasing daily because of it.

So what they said previously was an outright lie because now they admit that foreigners couldn't get travel insurance?

I've read some clap-trap propaganda in my time but none are more creative, stupid and outright moronic than under a Junta.

I wonder how they are going to spin Article 44 as a positive move towards democracy and pushing up the number of tourists.

come on now!!! Surely you can remember all of the idiotic and moronic comments the YL gov made during their admin? The stuff we read now is minor compared to what was in the news under her admin......

SEriously though.....You have to think who gets their numbers here and how they are educated,..Since most thais copy their work and pass every course then go out to work claiming to be experts it is clear that TAT must truly believe what information they give to the press....

Let's also think about the fact that there is a problem with Thai airplanes....this will surely be used later as an excuse why the tourism didn't increase like TAT thought it would... and then there is the Russian economy...

And now! The world is beginning to argue that article 44 is worse than martial law. I am certain this will get tourism boosted so TATs speculations can be a reality....

I sometimes wonder if Mr. P actually believes what TAT tells him as well as their petty excuses why they were wrong EVERY TIME......I hope he doesn't.

Is it true YL didn't attend any rice committee meetings as she was too busy trying to find Xanadu on the map after TAT recommended it as a suitable overseas trip to spread Thainess and shop ?

Is it true YL didn't attend any rice committee meetings as she was too busy trying to find Xanadu on the map after TAT recommended it as a suitable overseas trip to spread Thainess and shop ?

Last I heard she went to buy Nirvana. Apparently, she thought it was a new perfume brand.

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 1