Must be some very deep pockets behind some of Pattaya's bars/restaurants ..

MrWorldwide

OK - I didnt land at Swampy last week, and I'm out and about from 1pm to ~3am anywhere from Soi 7 to Walking St and back down Buakhow - things look pretty dire to me, in some respects worse than the 2014 low season. Songkran will need to be a complete turnaround for many of the bars and restaurants in this town to keep their doors open beyond May 2015 IMO. I dont venture into go-gos or massage joints but the people outside those establishments look increasingly bored and listless each time I wander down sois like Honey and LK. I know girls who've already gone back to the province to sit it out until Songkran - I guess we'll know soon enough if their strategy pays off.

As with anything, I may simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time - happy to hear that I'm being too pessimistic here. I've seen the numbers Stickman and others throw around re what a bar can potentially make in a good week - perhaps I underestimate just how deep some of those pockets are. Sane feedback most welcome.

• Like 1

overpriced and overrated so shouldnt be a surprise

Sadly, I concur, but during a good tourist season they could still get away with that. I guess arrogance goes a long way and the owners of many of these bars have are earning enough OS to keep propping them up - under normal circumstances many would be abandoned and derelict by now.

Less European / Scandinavian tourists.

Retirees of those may not be less but the European / Norwegian amongst them saw their monthly income in THB being slashed down due to worse exchange rates (and many of them weren't living the wealthy life in the first place, even when they still got 45-50THB per Euro), they may prefer to have a bit to eat / a glass to drink at home rather than in bars / restaurants.

The Russian tourists not only dropped spectacularly but those who still come will get hardly any THB for their Rubles compared with 1-2 years ago.

More Thai, Chinese and some other APAC countries tourist but they visit different places as e.g. Soi Honey Inn. Hotels who cater for such groups on 1-night-stayers (many of them on the dark-side) will probably be busier than ever.

+ increased prices for ingredients and supply

+the enormous amount of bars / restaurants which makes it impossible for many to have any decent profit margin

Total sum: indeed harsh times for many. Lucky are those that have enough funds to sit it out until it will be better again.

I've read many of your posts before but, forgive me for asking, how on earth do you spend 14 hours a day wandering round that area, particularly if you don't go into Go-go bars or massage parlours etc.?

I'm a bit like PattayaPom, in that I don't drink, so any bar has no fascination to me - but I guess that's a sign of advancing years!.

• Like 1

Great, the sooner these beer/whore bars are closed the better and make way for decent businesses.

All markets fluctuate in the course of the business cycle. Happily, Pattaya remains well-poised for the next upturn in the market for good old-fashioned indecency. That should be facilitated by leaving all them sleazy ho's, pimps, creepy beer belly sexpats, beer bars, go-go bars, & nekkid wimmen alone. In fact, further deregulation, tax reduction or elimination, and clear legalization is greatly needed in all indecency areas to help end corruption and to bring prices down. For example, how come the go-gos on Soi Lenkee can't open in the afternoon as they did before the coup? They were doing well. I miss stopping by Crystal for a cold one when I'm out during the day.

In the meantime, the so-called decent businesses have great room for improvement. Maybe this is in fact the real problem here. Take fish & chips, pizza, or Mexican food--seems there still isn't any to please the exquisite tastes of our forum members. And there are just countless charges of indecency against Pattaya's real estate agents! smile.png

Sarasota, FLA, USA, still has plenty of room for decent businesses, not to worry. Or how about Bang Saen? I do suspect that as roads improve (the tunnel) and traffic from Bangkok and surrounding areas increases that we'll eventually have--another shopping mall just chock full o' decency. smile.png

• Like 2

Restaurant/bar/etc. owners are a mix just like anywhere else. There are people living check to check barely meeting overhead, and then there are folks who also own dozens of other busineses and just happen to want to own a restaurant as well.

golden days of Pattaya are long gone, sadly as of I would say 2006 or 2007. Hotels are over priced even when vacancy rates are up. Way too many farlang living in Pattaya improperly , i.e. invalid or improper visas, no real funds to sustain their costs of living, many more criminal stuff going on to try and make money, skyline way overdeveloped with condos. Big mall just past soi 9 is an eye sore in my opinion. takes away all the local feeling of being I Thailand. If you want big fancy malls go to Bangkok or any major city in the world. Beach road "project" just keeps getting worse. Less space between beach chairs and the road noise. Trees chopped and thinned horribly. Way too many stadium big lights. Pattaya got noticibly more crowded after the floods and riots too. I suspect many Thais and others flocked to the nearest cities that had any sort of infrastructure.

I still like the place, but it gets a more uncomfortable every year. Been visiting since 2004.

• Like 1

Pattaya is dead as a dodo. It was quiet even at Xmas and New Year compared to previous years but it is really dead now.

I don't see much changing in the near future.

A strong thai baht and weaker euro the crash of the rouble and the aussie dollar all mean less tourists coming.

Sex tourists are probably going elsewhere as Pattaya famous for its sex scene is no longer cheap in fact it is damn expensive so punters are going elsewhere like Cambodia, Phillipines.

Edited by Tolley
  • Like 1

Great, the sooner these beer/whore bars are closed the better and make way for decent businesses. Not being a drinker its very hard for me to understand why someone would pay $4 for a beer in the bottom of a townhouse with miserable staff and a lot more in well positioned whore bars. If your drinking session lasts 14hrs each day you should either contact AA or at least obtain adequate health insurance for your kidney transplant. Have a look in restaurants, malls and shops, you may see it is a little busier.

Dont forget that your so called decent businesses came into Pattaya riding piggyback on the entertainment establishments in Pattaya. Be careful what you wish for- you might get it. Alot of business investment in Pattaya : golf courses, hotels depend on the entertainment side. Having said that sure, alot of these bars had better get a grip on their business model and soon. And the three last posts above 18,19,20 are right on the topic.

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 2

It seems to be the perfect storm at the moment, low currency's, martial law, high prices. It's not the bargain it once was. There simply aren't enough tourists to support the businesses. How many bars and restaurants Gogos etc can withstand this downturn??? I do my rounds of the Gogos and with the few customers frequenting these establishments, many are wondering how many are legitimate?( money laundering)???? And p4 p prices are now cheaper in Europe and elsewhere. But people continue to say that a gal is justified in asking a weeks wages for an hours work??(gogo) and the weekly beatings, mugging s, killings, etc dont do tourism any favour s.

No easy fixes here, but another low season will. Spell disaster for many many businesses.

• Like 1

I just dont see the violence as a major deterrent to the traditional weekend warrior aka 'sex tourist' or whatever perjorative people want to use. Pattaya - like every nightlife precinct I'm aware of - has had that reputation for many years - the difference is the VFM equation and right now, IMO, it sucks. Paying 150 baht for a Leo to sit in Stones House with 10 paying customers (tops..) and a gaggle of staff just doesnt light my fire no matter how hard the band tried to gee the 'crowd' up. You know you're in trouble when the singer points to you and asks if you have a request for the band - that has never happened to me in Pattaya before and I felt even more conspicuous. Like it or not, this town desperately needs Songkran.

It seems to be the perfect storm at the moment, low currency's, martial law, high prices. It's not the bargain it once was. There simply aren't enough tourists to support the businesses. How many bars and restaurants Gogos etc can withstand this downturn??? I do my rounds of the Gogos and with the few customers frequenting these establishments, many are wondering how many are legitimate?( money laundering)???? And p4 p prices are now cheaper in Europe and elsewhere. But people continue to say that a gal is justified in asking a weeks wages for an hours work??(gogo) and the weekly beatings, mugging s, killings, etc dont do tourism any favour s.

No easy fixes here, but another low season will. Spell disaster for many many businesses.

I suspect there is also a large downturn in the numbers of offshore guys visiting. Layoffs everywhere at the moment and those still with a job will be saving their pennies if they are smart.

• Like 1

Great, the sooner these beer/whore bars are closed the better and make way for decent businesses.

All markets fluctuate in the course of the business cycle. Happily, Pattaya remains well-poised for the next upturn in the market for good old-fashioned indecency. That should be facilitated by leaving all them sleazy ho's, pimps, creepy beer belly sexpats, beer bars, go-go bars, & nekkid wimmen alone. In fact, further deregulation, tax reduction or elimination, and clear legalization is greatly needed in all indecency areas to help end corruption and to bring prices down. For example, how come the go-gos on Soi Lenkee can't open in the afternoon as they did before the coup? They were doing well. I miss stopping by Crystal for a cold one when I'm out during the day.

In the meantime, the so-called decent businesses have great room for improvement. Maybe this is in fact the real problem here. Take fish & chips, pizza, or Mexican food--seems there still isn't any to please the exquisite tastes of our forum members. And there are just countless charges of indecency against Pattaya's real estate agents! smile.png

Sarasota, FLA, USA, still has plenty of room for decent businesses, not to worry. Or how about Bang Saen? I do suspect that as roads improve (the tunnel) and traffic from Bangkok and surrounding areas increases that we'll eventually have--another shopping mall just chock full o' decency. smile.png

"For example, how come the go-gos on Soi Lenkee can't open in the afternoon as they did before the coup? They were doing well. I miss stopping by Crystal for a cold one when I'm out during the day".

News to me that Soi Lengkee has go -gos.

I suspect there is also a large downturn in the numbers of offshore guys visiting. Layoffs everywhere at the moment and those still with a job will be saving their pennies if they are smart.

Yeah, these offshore guys visiting represent at least, roughly guessed, 0.1-0.2% of population here. And those who were laid off now are here 100% of their time instead of just 50%

• Like 1

"For example, how come the go-gos on Soi Lenkee can't open in the afternoon as they did before the coup? They were doing well. I miss stopping by Crystal for a cold one when I'm out during the day".

News to me that Soi Lengkee has go -gos.

Whoops, LK Metro. My bad; went down nearby Lenkee the other day so guess it was on the brain.

LK Metro webcam

wai2.gif