Chiang Mai Moat is Home to Leech-like Parasites

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-01024400-1428431186_thumb.Leech at Khao Yai National Park - Stock Image

Chiang Mai’s famous moat has tested positive for leech-like parasites. The famous moat is where the Songkran festival is held and is the source of water for the festival. Officials are working diligently to clean the moat’s water to ensure that it can safely be used during the festival that takes place from April 10 – 15. Currently, no official warnings have been issued.

Initial lab reports indicate that the parasite samples look like leeches. The tests were conducted by Maejo Agricultural University.

Chiang Mai authorities are investigating the water’s hygiene levels, while other departments are working on boosting water supplies in anticipation of the festival. Water has been released from Mae Chok Luang’s reservoir in an attempt to increase the moat’s water levels.

Water vending machines have also been added to the area and will supply fresh water to all those that attend the Songkran celebrations.

On Monday, more than 1,000 volunteers were brought to the area in an attempt to clean up before the festival. The moat and Phae Gate areas were the main target of the cleanup efforts.

The district is also dealing with haze issues that are currently above safety standards. Water sprinklers have been installed in an effort to curb dust levels.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-07

yech. I did Songkran once in Pattaya. Glad I experienced it, but didn't like it one bit. One or two days or a weekend I can see as fun. but after that it is way toooo much. You can't go out at all during the day without being drenched. Can't walk to the movies, go shopping, or go anywhere. The water was pretty filthy too.

This year I will be visiting the Wat Lao here in San Diego, California. I usually go to the Wat Thai up in Escondido, but this year both places hold the festivities on the same day so I will have to pick one. The Wat Lao is a bigger complex, has bigger stage, has plenty of chairs usually to sit on. The food has not been that great in the past. But the parade around the grounds is nice with everyone dressed up in their formal Asian garb.

I didn't think it possible in this day and age but my ex- missus in Chiang Mai got Scrub Typhus, two weeks in hospital with anti-biotic injections every day,apparently it isn't too uncommon in CM it's caused by parasites in the bushes, hence the name scrub Typhus.

Perhaps they would care to give us the name of the leech like parasites !!

Noi and Lek.

A bar girl in CM told me she had a farang boy friend, i asked what country he came from, she replied, Germany,Sweden, France,England,Italy and Norway.

Noi and Lek.

A bar girl in CM told me she had a farang boy friend, i asked what country he came from, she replied, Germany,Sweden, France,England,Italy and Norway.

And who did the leeching? her or the boy friends?

Noi and Lek.

And who did the leeching? her or the boy friends?

she did the leeching,they did the leching.

I have never heard of a good Parasite so I wonder how they will clean this up in such a short time. What can this Parasite do to you, Kill you ,cause a rash. Well come on they are still letting people near this water. WHAT THE HELL !!!!!

Leeches are commonly used for treatment involving skin grafts. Very beneficial.

Last February, we saw what must have been a local down-and-out having a Thai style bath in the moat, over on the east side. Nobody was paying much attention so as visitors ourselves, we thought maybe she was locally known. Maybe "all her dogs weren't on the same leash" either since she wasn't being exactly discrete with her sarong either, unlike the nice, pretty country girls do beside the riverbanks in the TAT posters.

I saw this on the news the other day. Looks like between the parasites and the "haze" (smog), the moat should be avoided this year! Wnat happens if one or more of those parasites gets inside the body? I'm guessing they are very small.

They are not known to get inside the body they just attach to your skin and suck blood until bloated then drop off.

Horrible ugly things, after they drop off the small wound bleeds for a while as they inject an anti coagulant to assist in their blood sucking meal.

I saw this on the news the other day. Looks like between the parasites and the "haze" (smog), the moat should be avoided this year! Wnat happens if one or more of those parasites gets inside the body? I'm guessing they are very small.

You do not need to guess. Look at the photo. NOT small

Damn, thats nasty. I usually go to CM and hang around the moat and tapae gate area for songkran and was headed back again this year thats pretty worring considering all the water gets pumped from the moat thats used for the water throwing. Maybe they can put some filters in the line so we dont all die:)

Every year hundreds of people turn up at CM Hospitals after Songkran suffering from Ear, Eye, skin and other problems caused by the stinking water from the Moat which is infested with Rats, other assorted Vermin and perhaps a hundred waterborn problems. My wife was a Nurse for 25 years and has seen it all first hand.

If you want to do yourselves a favour stay well away from 'festivities' around the Moat, not just at Songkran but at any time. Don't ever expect the Authorities to own up to such problems in the interests of health and safety as all they are interested in is extracting the money of visitors, be they Foreign or Thai. The fact that you may die or be afflicted is of no interest to them whatsoever.

• Like 2

Your fears are taking over your mind. These small animals rarely cause any problems to humans. Sure, some eat blood and when attached to your leg give you a mental convulsion but in fact, they are far less harmful compared to the really bad blood sucker, the mosquito who often carries nasty diseases.

Give the leech some leeway.