UK Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai is closing.

doctormann

It is possible that we may be our own worse enemies. There is a general election around the corner but we who put so little pressure on the UK's resources and tax burden do not seem to organise and look to influence those that will be in power.

They still expect our tax yet say we cannot have the services for which it is paid, they still require the same contribution for pension but refuse to pay the pension pro rata when due. yet I for one am guilty of not trying to motivate fellow voters to say we won't vote for these actions. This election is as close as it could get.

• Like 1

Absolutely disgusting and an abdication of social responsibility to it's citizens by a truly crap British Government.

At least us Brits get a vote next month and a good time NOT to vote bloody Tory !!! Support the peoples' sensible centre party Lib Dems for a change as high time we gave them a real chance to Govern to see what they are really made of IMHO, At the very least Labour are the lesser of the two real main party evils as at least they care more about ordinary people.

I really feel sorry for all of us Brit expats here living outside the Bangkok catchment area. Once again truly DISGUSTING !!!!!!!!

For what an expat vote is worth, why not vote UKIP?

At least they are opposed to the 55 million Euro per day gift from the British taxpayer to the monster's maw in Brussels....

lol, I would like to vote UKIP but I daren't in case they get in.

I would like to vote Lib Dem but they need to get a leader - not that utter idiot Clegg.

I'm scared Labour get in on the back of the SNP so the jocks hold the balance of power in England with that complete muppet Miliband as PM.

I'm sick to the back teeth of being stung left, right and centre by hidden taxes and fines for everything by the Tories who use it all for hand-outs to immigrants / the EU/ benefits and God know what else while I still have to pay for everything else I use separately.

So who can I vote for ?.

• Like 2

Absolutely disgusting and an abdication of social responsibility to it's citizens by a truly crap British Government.

At least us Brits get a vote next month and a good time NOT to vote bloody Tory !!! Support the peoples' sensible centre party Lib Dems for a change as high time we gave them a real chance to Govern to see what they are really made of IMHO, At the very least Labour are the lesser of the two real main party evils as at least they care more about ordinary people.

I really feel sorry for all of us Brit expats here living outside the Bangkok catchment area. Once again truly DISGUSTING !!!!!!!!

At least they are opposed to the 55 million Euro per day gift from the British taxpayer to the monster's maw in Brussels....

I would like to vote Lib Dem but they need to get a leader - not that utter idiot Clegg.

I'm scared Labour get in on the back of the SNP so the jocks hold the balance of power in England with that complete muppet Miliband as PM.

I'm sick to the back teeth of being stung left, right and centre by hidden taxes and fines for everything by the Tories who use it all for hand-outs to immigrants / the EU/ benefits and God know what else while I still have to pay for everything else I use separately.

So who can I vote for ?.

Monster Raving Loony Party?..........you know it makes sense

loonycastle_3083088c.jpg

• Like 1

So who can I vote for ?.

Monster Raving Loony Party?..........you know it makes sense

loonycastle_3083088c.jpg

555, I think Jeremy Clarkson should stand now he has some time on his hands.

It would make Prime Minsters question time a whole lot more interesting. Though Jez would probably lamp him one when he avoided the question ...

• Like 1

I would not bet against them eventually closing the Embassy in Bangkok and centralising everything in Singapore.

That will save these crooks a few more quid to go towards foreign aid!

we already have to send our passports to a communist country (Hong Kong) to get them renewed. Whatever next!

• Like 1

Very sad some of the best assistance from any where in the world, also very low cost for UK as honorary basis, IT IS A BIG LOAD OF RUBBISH FROM UK UNFORTUNATELY

Ask me to pay 100 pounds subsidy per annum and will willingly do so

I hope the staff are being looked after, on my few dealings so helpful and delightful to deal with

• Like 1

Don't wish to pry, but what exactly WILL the Consulate in CM be doing for Brits after May 16 then?

Probably answer the phone and tell you to call Bangkok!

Do you think they have enough property to do all that?tongue.png

Calls will probably be re routed through Mumbai!

What about if a British national dies in Chiang Mai. Where do the friends or relatives go to report the death and have it listed in the British births, marriages and deaths registry?

Consulates can't register the death.

You pay 105 quid to do this by post.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-death/y/overseas/thailand/same_country

It's not compulsory to register the death though.

• Like 1

What about if a British national dies in Chiang Mai. Where do the friends or relatives go to report the death and have it listed in the British births, marriages and deaths registry?

Thanks for the info, Loaded.

My God, we still pay even when you`re dead. Now even RIP has a price tag.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I would not bet against them eventually closing the Embassy in Bangkok and centralising everything in Singapore.

we already have to send our passports to a communist country (Hong Kong) to get them renewed. Whatever next!

Actually we now have to make 2 visits in person to an office building with a silly name in Bangkok to get our passports renewed.

I would not bet against them eventually going the whole hog by closing every embassy across this great planet of ours and centralising everything in some obscure backwater in the UK which is as difficult to get to as is humanly possible.

I suppose the UK government will be selling off the remaining assets in Chiang Mai at

give away prices like the they did with the Embassy on the river,seems they don't give

a toss about their nationals,what happens if you die here now?,just send email to BKK.

Surely at the prices they where charging for a piece of paper,they would be making a

profit.

regards worgeordie

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

One recalls the days when, telegraphing ahead and arriving by elephant, one could arrange a chotapeg or two followed by dinner with HM Honorary Consul.

Now, one is lucky if the ruffian is wearing a shirt.

You were lucky; arriving by elephant, bullock carts more like it. But I did prefer the burrapeg.drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEEfKmimwR

It`s not compulsory to register, but for those of us that have wives and private pensions, it may be necessary to register so that the widow will receive her husband`s pension or a percentage or it according to the terms and conditions of the pension. I am in that category.

It`s not compulsory to register, but for those of us that have wives and private pensions, it may be necessary to register so that the widow will receive her husband`s pension or a percentage or it according to the terms and conditions of the pension. I am in that category.

Yup, better leave clear instructions.

Not sure if I'm the only one but this solid complaining about a country other than Thailand feels kind of refreshing. thumbsup.gif

If there's one thing the Brits like to complain about more than Thailand and the Thais, it's their own government. Yet, it's amazing, when I talk with them how few have actually voted in their own elections.

• Like 1

Not sure if I'm the only one but this solid complaining about a country other than Thailand feels kind of refreshing. thumbsup.gif

If there's one thing the Brits like to complain about more than Thailand and the Thais, it's their own government. Yet, it's amazing, when I talk with them how few have actually voted in their own elections.

In the interests of accuracy:

"General election voter turnout for the 2014 midterms was the lowest it's been in any election cycle since World War II, according to early projections by the United States Election Project.

Just 36.4 percent of the voting-eligible population cast ballots as of last Tuesday, continuing a steady decline in midterm voter participation that has spanned several decades. The results are dismal, but not surprising -- participation has been dropping since the 1964 election, when voter turnout was at nearly 49 percent"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/11/10/voter-turnout-in-2014-was-the-lowest-since-wwii/

Whereas in the UK, the percentage of voter turnout was, sorry, you'll have to open the link and see the chart for the precise answer but it's almost double the US levels:

http://www.ukpolitical.info/Turnout45.htm

• Like 1

Exactly what Spain does, centralise things with their Office for SEA in Bangkok, now imagine your in deep do-do and need emergency help in Vietnam, Cambodia, Phillipines (former Spanish Colony!) and have no cash, or jailed, or too few pages left in passport for a visa to cross international border, then what?

you forgot the Chinese... and Mercans, of course but that usually goes without saying.