So is Thai Visa FORCING us to click thru to ads now ?

DiamondKing

Thanks for that.

Also can you confirm that those 20 second pop-ups won't be returning on the online version of the site? (I'm referring to the sIte, not the app.)

Thanks for that.

Also can you confirm that those 20 second pop-ups won't be returning on the online version of the site? (I'm referring to the sIte, not the app.)

As mentioned before and by George, TV does not serve popup/popunder ads at all for the main site. Usually, from previous reports, that is coming from either malware, spyware or adware that got onto your computer. Recommend running Malwarebytes & Superantispyware to track them down. Also online scanner such as bitdefender .

I've never encountered them either with FF, Chrome or IE.

I've never encountered them either with FF, Chrome or IE.

They were present when viewing the mobile version of the site in the Android default browser (sorry, I meant mobile version when I said "online version" before), each time the site was visited a pop-up advert would display for 20 seconds covering most of the screen.

As mentioned though, this seems to have been removed. If it comes back (hopefully not!) I can post a screenshot here.

Edited by dantilley

there is a 20 second popup on the android mobile version (not the app)

Below is the screenshot of what I get when I go to thaivisa.com in the Chrome browser of my Nexus 4: a small ad at the bottom of the screen lying over the text. The page can be scrolled up and down behind the ad. I don't know whether this is called a pop-up, but it has no count-down timer.

post-21260-0-48075000-1428699312_thumb.p

DiamondKing, is this what you are talking about in the OP?

P.S. I see that I can make this ad disappear by dragging the handle at its top middle down. Nifty.

Edited by Maestro
added postscipt

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1428594735.462856.jpg

Pop up on iPhone 5 updated with latest iOS. Happens every time using the TV app. Sometimes they have countdown functions which are even worse.

I see this type of ad, covering the whole screen and sometimes with a countdown timer, when running the Android app without already being signed in. Even if it has a timer, I can click it away, usually in the top right corner. Is this called a pop-up ad?

I see that the OP has not yet posted a screenshot of what he is talking about. Therefore, strictly speaking, all replies so far, including mine, are off topic, because nobody knows what the topic really is supposed to be.

Being forced to look at thai visa ads it does not allow me to click on a topic at first it opens a new window and loads an ad now initially I thought it was a virus on my computer so I cleaned it but its still happeneing and ONLY ON THAI VISA.

One of the disadvantages of using Windows.

I use windows no such problems.. so its not windows related.

Apologies, I should have stated that I purchased the ad-free version. £1.99 didn't seem too harsh.

Maestro - the full screen, 20 second pop-up ads were sensibly removed from the mobile version of ThaiVisa, which maybe explains why you didn't see them.

However, unfortunately this morning they've returned. Hopefully by mistake as they're very annoying. Can you confirm if you see them now?

Attached is a screenshot of the offending ads from the Android default browser, and I was logged in when it popped up.

post-17554-0-43199100-1428724433_thumb.p

Edited by dantilley
  • Like 2

I tried about 20 times, hoping to get one of those ads with the countdown timer, but did not succeed.

In your example, do you see the x at the top right corner of the ad? Tap on it and it will disappear even before the countdown completes its full cycle. This has been my experience. Sometimes, two taps may be needed.

I tried about 20 times, hoping to get one of those ads with the countdown timer, but dis not succeed.

In your example, do you see the x at the top right corner of the ad, Tap on it and it will disappear even before the countdown completes its full cycle. This has been my experience. Sometimes, two taps may be needed.

Yes that is exactly the one i get too. Yes it has the x to tap to close it. But its still a pop up and still annoying.

I've never figured out exactly what a popup ad is. I just see it as an ad. Depending on one's disposition at a given moment, an ad, any ad, can be annoying but with a free forum ads are a necessity, a fact of life. Like it or lump it, as they say.

The topic title asks whether we are forced to click through to an ad, and the answer is NO, we are not.

there is a 20 second popup on the android mobile version (not the app)

Below is the screenshot of what I get when I go to thaivisa.com in the Chrome browser of my Nexus 4: a small ad at the bottom of the screen lying over the text. The page can be scrolled up and down behind the ad. I don't know whether this is called a pop-up, but it has no count-down timer.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-04-10-22-44-48.png

DiamondKing, is this what you are talking about in the OP?

P.S. I see that I can make this ad disappear by dragging the handle at its top middle down. Nifty.

No ,my issue is anytime I want to click on a thread topic the link is not clickable unless I double click it which launches a new window with advertising once I have done that it will let me click on the topic.

Pop up on iPhone 5 updated with latest iOS. Happens every time using the TV app. Sometimes they have countdown functions which are even worse.

I'm not an iPhone user but there's a paid (nominal) ad-free version of the Android app, hopefully coming to an iPhone near you soon.

There is a paid ad-free version for the iPhone as well. Works fine.

No ,my issue is anytime I want to click on a thread topic the link is not clickable unless I double click it which launches a new window with advertising once I have done that it will let me click on the topic.

Therefore, I am still at loss as to what you are getting on your screen. A screen shot would be very helpful, plus indication of the operating system your computer has (eg Windows or Apple) and the browser you are using.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...