Public health minister sets ambulance speed limit at 80 kph

Lite Beer

Public health minister sets ambulance speed limit at 80 kph

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Rachata Rachatanavin has signed an order to set the speed limit of ambulances at 80 kilometers per hour when the ambulances are delivering emergency patients to hospitals.

He said a total of 19 people were killed in ambulance accidents last year.

The minister said equipment in ambulances could save life so the drivers have not to drive too fast.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Public-health-minister-sets-ambulance-speed-limit--30257813.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-10

Speed limit imposed at 80-kms per hour for ambulances

10-4-2558-14-00-15-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Hospital ambulances with patients on board are prohibited to travel over 80 kilometres an hour.

This is the new instruction announced by the Public Health Ministry and became effective early this month.

Public Health Minister Ratchata Ratchatanavin who signed the announcement said safety concern was reason behind the speed limit of hospital ambulances.

He said last year 19 hospital personnel attached with the ambulances were killed while on duty to take patients to hospitals.

But he assured the public that the 80-kilometre speed limit would’t threaten the life of patient needed emergent medical treatment because all ambulances are well equipped with life support equipments.

In addition to speed limit in ambulance, he also introduced speed limit in all motor vehicles of the ministry.

Drivers are told to drive not over 90 kilometres an hour and in case of van, passengers must fasten seat belts, and must comply with traffic law strictly.

He said that he intended the health personnel to set good precedent for the people to abide by traffic laws.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/speed-limit-imposed-at-80-kms-per-hour-for-ambulances

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-10

"Drivers are told to drive not over 90 kilometres an hour and in case of van, passengers must fasten seat belts, and must comply with traffic law strictly."

So does this mean that in 40km / hr, 60km / hr and 80km / hr speed zones that it's ok for all ministry motor vehicles to drive at 90 km / hr. Hell will freeze over before speed limits of any description are properly enforced in Thailand.

Also which passengers MUST fasten seatbelts. If you're in the back seat you don't have to, and even if you did, a hell of a lot of vehicles don't have seatbelts fitted in the back seats. I haven't been in a van yet that has seat belts fitted for the rear seats. I thought Buddhists had this great respect for life. On the roads here, all I see is the exact opposite.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Like 2

I don't think any drivers pull over here for anything or anyone, regardless, even if they can.

As for the speed limit, it's probably more of an issue out in the countryside where there are open highways, as opposed to inside BKK or other bigger cities.

When the minister talks about 'ambulances,' I wonder if he's talking about real ones like shown in the photo, or also including the countless foundation pickup truck ambulances, that have pretty much no equipment at all...or very little at best.

• Like 1

>>But he assured the public that the 80-kilometre speed limit would’t threaten the life of patient needed emergent medical treatment because all ambulances are well equipped with life support equipments.<< Quote

Dear minister, we believe you:post-218648-0-74674300-1428655900_thumb.

• Like 2

>>He said last year 19 hospital personnel attached with the ambulances were killed while on duty to take patients to hospitals.<< Quote

Teaching the ambulance drivers to actually drive, is of course out of the question??

''All Ambulances are equipped with life saving equipment ''. What a laugh; take a look at them and most have a stretcher and if you are lucky enough you may find an oxygen tank and mask. Put that together with no real Paramedics or Ambulance Technicians, just one or two blokes in T shirts and flip flops and it's little more than a tin can on wheels with lights on top.....and some of them don't even work !

• Like 1

What's the problem?

With all the equipment they have on board they can deal with almost any emergency except maybe heart stop. Oh I forgot... no ploblem there are defibrillator stations set up around Bangkok.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794586-defibrillators-in-public-places-for-heart-attack-victims-in-thailand/

Great Health Minister

Most of the time Ambulances are stuck behind traffic that refuses to move out of its way even with siren and flashing lights on. No wonder they have to speed up. There Just is No Awareness among motorists that they should move over to the side to allow these ambulances to safely pass.

Pathetic directive. About time some people joined the real world whistling.gif

Very little enforcement (but much gum beating) about current laws, makes a mockery of introducing (yet again) more laws bah.gif

I wonder if someone gets paid a "bonus" for introducing new, non enforced laws? whistling.gif As usual, all talk but no commitment to making current laws work.

• Like 1

The number of times that I have seen ambulances stuck in traffic with the lights glaring and the sirens going is too many to count

Wonder how many people died on the way to the hospital but were stuck in traffic and Somchai did not have the necessary equipement to save the life

Thai people would not move to give way even iif it were their parents in the ambulance

laissez faire attitude with mai pen rai equals (I think) "Thainess" whistling.gif In plain English - who gives a s**t damn! So sad really.

I find many Thai people to be great and some lovely places to visit there also. But what an awful prevailing attitude among so manycoffee1.gif