Pigeon infestations

phuketsub

A surefire way to reduce the problem is as follows...

One bag of dried peas..

One long length of fishing gut..

Thread three peas on a three inch length of the gut

Knot the gut so the peas cannot be removed.

Feed the pidgeons....

They will not come back...permanently!

Problem solved!

a sure fire way?

Are you sure? How does work then? The balconies of my condo are now a favorite roosting spot, and whilst I don't particularly mind the roosting, I definitely have issues over the amount of excrement they leave behind. But nothing seems to scare them away for long..

Please reply Whitson old man

It blocks their digestive tract so they can't eat or shit and then they die.

A lot of animal killers on that thread,

I wish you are born again as pigeons in next life and get screwed with dried peas on a fishing gut.
Army pigeons tongue.png
Edited by ALFREDO

A surefire way

One bag of dried peas..

One long length of fishing gut..

Thread three peas on a three inch length of the gut

Knot the gut so the peas cannot be removed.

Feed the pidgeons....

They will not come back...permanently!

Wicked B*****d!

Really - A lot of animal killers on that thread, whistling.gif

I wish you are born again as pigeons in next life and get screwed with dried peas on a fishing gut. w00t.gif

Thanks a lot for all your input, especially from people in Chiang Mai...I am still wondering about the prevalence in the south. I did spot two in the parking lot of a low-budget cash-and-carry joint in Phuket, but nothing to rival the infestations on this side of the isthmus.

I started asking my university students what the situation was like back in their hometowns, which covers much of the mid- and deep-south. Songkhla and Haad Yai seem to be the worst, but I am told the situation in Narathiwat Town is not much better. The biggest concentration I have seen so far are at the base of Kuan Tang Hill, a tourist spot with cable car in Songkhla.

• 6 months later...

Human beings are ever blind to their own shortcomings, always preferring to condemn another species for situations directly brought about by indolence or neglect.

We are more likely to get diseases from other humans, our pet dogs and cats, or the food we eat, than to get a disease from a pigeon.

Ask yourselves this, who do you actually know has got a disease off a pigeon? Now who do you know has had food poisoning, a cold or the flue.. or even chicken pox or an STD?

Pigeon waste does not corrode buildings.. its a neutral pH, not acidic. There are not fleas on them that will bite humans... all their parasites that only live on birds. We can not get pigeon pox, canker, or feather mites.

People say there are too many of them... but there are far more humans than them.

People say they make a mess... but look at the rubbish, filth and destruction humans cause.. look at the litter and dirty water in the cities and countryside.

If people clean up.. stop throwing food waste onto the streets, and stop feeding the pigeons.. their population will naturally go down.

If you have a problem at your house with pigeons in the loft, on the balcony etc, then simply fix the holes in the roof, put up some cheap bird netting or pigeon spikes and problem solved... if you keep killing them off more will just come to replace them.

For most people, the city pigeons are nice to see... watch how many people feed them and take photos in Chiang Mai park. They pigeon clear up the food waste on the streets.. so there is less foot about for rats... if the pigeons went there would be a lot more rats running about.

For many children living in the city they are one of the few 'wild' animals they see.. and they can be used to teach them about birds, nature and how to respect other living things.

And finally, cruel methods to kill another animal ... (peas of a thread)... are inhumane... the bird would have a very slow agonising painful death... and to get pleasure out of that shows a sick mind.

On a similar vein

I have started seeing crows in Songkhla province..
I don't remember seeing them in years past
I was wondering how long it will take until they make their way up from Penang biggrin.png

Interesting. I see a lot of scarecrows in the fields in Ranode, but no crows. I wonder if they are being used to scare off other kind of birds. My understanding is that crows are a lot smarter than most other birds, so I doubt that is the case.

I have to admit I have run over a few pigeons while driving recently. I don't have the impulse to break for them as I would for a dog or a cat, but I think that is because in the past they always flew out of the way at the last moment.

But it really makes me wonder what they are doing pecking about in the middle of major thoroughfares like Kanchanawanit Road. What possible food source could be attracting them out there?

Anyway, the plan (if I ever find time) is still to catch a few and feed them to my dog. That won't make a real dent in the overall problem, but at least it'll be good for my dog, which isn't getting enough protein. I will of course try to kill them as humanely as possible.

On a similar vein

I was wondering how long it will take until they make their way up from Penang biggrin.png

Interesting. I see a lot of scarecrows in the fields in Ranode, but no crows. I wonder if they are being used to scare off other kind of birds. My understanding is that crows are a lot smarter than most other birds, so I doubt that is the case.

I have to admit I have run over a few pigeons while driving recently. I don't have the impulse to break for them as I would for a dog or a cat, but I think that is because in the past they always flew out of the way at the last moment.

But it really makes me wonder what they are doing pecking about in the middle of major thoroughfares like Kanchanawanit Road. What possible food source could be attracting them out there?

Anyway, the plan (if I ever find time) is still to catch a few and feed them to my dog. That won't make a real dent in the overall problem, but at least it'll be good for my dog, which isn't getting enough protein. I will of course try to kill them as humanely as possible.

That's not a good idea to feed them to your dog... they probably will have tape worms or other internal parasites that could infest you dog... and if you can't afford to buy meat or proper dog food for your dogs protein... then you are going to buy de wormer for you dog... probably.

On a similar vein

That's not a good idea to feed them to your dog... they probably will have tape worms or other internal parasites that could infest you dog... and if you can't afford to buy meat or proper dog food for your dogs protein... then you are going to buy de wormer for you dog... probably.

I wasn't planning of feeding them to him raw...My understanding is that cooking the meat or freezing it will kill any such parasites. Anyone with experience please advise!