Former US envoy for North Korea nominated to post in Thailand

webfact

Former US envoy for North Korea nominated to post in Thailand

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama has nominated a former U.S. envoy for North Korea policy, Glyn Davies, as ambassador to Thailand.

The White House announced the nomination Monday. The Senate has to approve Davies' appointment, which comes amid strains in the U.S.-Thai alliance.

Washington suspended military aid to Thailand in response to a coup against an elected government last May. The military-dominated government has cracked down on dissent and political opponents, and it remains unclear when civilian rule will be restored.

Davies served as the Obama administration's point man for the diplomatic response to North Korea's nuclear program between 2012 and 2014. Prior to that, he was the U.S. representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna.

The previous U.S. ambassador to Thailand, Kristie Kenney, vacated the post in November.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-14

Shows what Washington thinks about Thailand .... hope things will have improved by the time President Clinton takes office :-)

Talk about lighting the blue touch paper and standing well back!

Seriously????? IF she does get elected, that, along with what obummer has already done , will be the nail in the coffin. The USA will never ve able to come back to the level it once was.

Shows what Washington thinks about Thailand .... hope things will have improved by the time President Clinton takes office :-)

• Like 1

Interesting and smart move from the US. He has a masters in national security Strategy. I guess the right man for the job, which for him just may be a retirement job after North Korea.

I wish him luck.

• Like 1

Surely you jest about H Clinton ! That is the last thing the US needs.

Correction: HRC is the '2nd to last' thing the US needs - the absolute last thing the US needs are any of her Republican opponents, like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul. HRC is corrupt and in the hands of Wall Street and the banks. But her opposition are crazy religious Tea Party fanatics, so...it's back to that 'lesser of two evil' arguments which is so sad these years.

• Like 1

Poor uncle sam.....so blind!!!

How so ? An elected government was deposed. Who do you think the should send, Charlie Sheen or Chelsea Clinton ?

You just missed the bit about the elected government being corrupt, ignoring the law and in reality being owned and controlled by a non elected convicted criminal on the lam from his conviction sentence and serious outstanding criminal charges.

I'm sure Uncle Sam is well aware of Thaksin and family's exploits - him being such a good friend of Wall Street an'all.

Correction: HRC is the '2nd to last' thing the US needs - the absolute last thing the US needs are any of her Republican opponents, like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul. HRC is corrupt and in the hands of Wall Street and the banks. But her opposition are crazy religious Tea Party fanatics, so...it's back to that 'lesser of two evil' arguments which is so sad these years.

It actually seems that way in many countries these days. Certainly same in the UK - the choice is the lesser of two evils, and neither being particularly good.

Wonder why we have so many poor politicians these days?

• Like 2

Mr Davies calling home to Barack: " I know, I was a bad boy, but I have served my time in NK, please have mercy and give me Zimbabwe or Somalia"

Why don't you move to Zimbabwe or Somalia if you think them better than Thailand?

Sure you'd be welcomed in either.

Bye then.

Method in the Madness . I believe the US are now viewing Thainess as similar to North Koreaness

Beg to differ, but Thailand is nowhere like as bad as North Korea, if only because Thailand doesn't possess nuclear-weapons pointed at US-allies, and a state-imbued hatred of the USA and all things American.

If the USA does view Thailand as being "similar to North Koreaness", then they are sadly mistaken, but I don't think they do. wink.png

America has shown many times, that it can live with right-wing undemocratic states, but would prefer (as would most posters on TV) to see elections from time to time, and hopes that Thailand will return to that sometime soon.

But risks pushing Thailand, whether under Thaksin (who was/is a great friend of the PRC) or the military, closer towards China than would be wise.

Look guy hasn't even landed here yet and your bashing someone you don't have a clue about. Let him get here have a few dozen Thai chicks and a beer first then judge him Hell he might enjoy talking with the expats unlike the other one.

• Like 1

After all the hardship posts Mr. Davies has held, maybe he is just being rewarded with a non-hardship Ambassador posting.

To enlighten you and one or two others, Mr Davies though the State Department's point man for North Korea was not posted there.He was based in Washington.Prior to that his last overseas post was in London where he was Deputy Chief of Mission.

Method in the Madness . I believe the US are now viewing Thainess as similar to North Koreaness

Beg to differ, but Thailand is nowhere like as bad as North Korea, if only because Thailand doesn't possess nuclear-weapons pointed at US-allies, and a state-imbued hatred of the USA and all things American.

The DPRK has stated frequently and categorically that their quarrel is with the government of America, not the people. Indeed, the DPRK was among the first countries offering condolences in the wake of the September 11 atrocities.

It actually seems that way in many countries these days. Certainly same in the UK - the choice is the lesser of two evils, and neither being particularly good.

Wonder why we have so many poor politicians these days?

It is amazing that America which is so technologically advanced has such primitive middle aged thinking politicians, may the great pixie in the sky bless us all