More English-speaking Thai cops to be stationed in tourist spots nationwide

webfact

More English-speaking cops to be stationed in tourist spots

PNSOC580414001002901_14042015_114413.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 April 2015, (NNT) - National Police Deputy Chief Police General Ruangsak Jarit-ek has revealed that more English-speaking police will be stationed in various tourist spots.

The urgent orders has been passed onto 1,467 police stations nationwide. Police chiefs in each area are to reinforce key tourist attractions with officers who can speak foreign languages, especially English.

Police General Ruangsak indicated that these officials are needed to facilitate filing reports by foreigners and giving out directions to foreign tourists during the Songkran long holiday. Currently, there are 25 major tourist spots that are popular among foreigners in Thailand.

The order was prompted by a report showing police stations and public service centers failing to help a large number of foreigners seeking assistance because the officials did not understand English.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-14 footer_n.gif

Better English speaking police means more income they can generate from demanding money from foreigners. Although getting foreigners to pay without using English is not that difficult especially from tourists. Just give them a scare with threats from a typed paper showing what will happen if they don't pay is enough.

• Like 1

I translate sometimes (Scandi/Thai) at the local police station. And none of the officers speak any English, not even the The Tourist Police. They are nice and service minded enough, but language is definitely not their forte.

In the best case scenario they master 5 words in "coconut-English"

And we are talking a major tourist destination: Hua Hin

Actually I remember going into a police station in Hua Hin to ask directions late one night, and the Police man there at that time spoke perfect English and he was a Thai . I think it was where the road splits on the way down to Had Takiab.

National Police Deputy Chief Police General Ruangsak Jarit-ek has revealed that more English-speaking police will be stationed in various tourist spots.

these officials are needed to facilitate filing reports by foreigners and giving out directions to foreign tourists during the Songkran long holiday.

NPDepCPGen Ruangsak has not revealed where he found these polyglot officers, nor did he elaborate how they will be deployed. He just said (in Thai): "Now, do it now, Songkran is now, it's here already, now! Don't wait 10 years to fix the problem, like some other industry we will not name!"

I have seen the English language test for cops applying for a job with the immigration police. It will take at least 3 years of intensive teaching for the average Thai to pass. Hence, expect no more than 5 cops in 2018 who understand what you are talking about.

• Like 1

God this English thing again. How much longer until it goes away?

Sorry, but English being one of the worlds dominant Languages its only going to get Better

English is #1 in all senses.

The rest are also rans!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

Another nothing news article that means nothing and will result in nothing happening in the real world.

Even if the Thai police were serious about doing something about this acknowledged shortcoming, where exactly are they going to pull these supposed English speaking officers from?

The OP article also kind of implies that whatever they're hoping to do was going to be for the Song Kran holiday. And after that when the tourist volumes subside to normal... still won't find any English speaking police officers at your local police station, not even in central BKK.

Can they not employ ex cops that are British (and speak Thai) especially in the Tourist hotspots (and Chinese speakers, Filipino speakers, Russian speakers etc) - or is that classed as taking a job away from a Thai? If they want to learn more schooling and understanding needed how to speak to people - in a professional way - my Thai is rubbish and only speak English to Thai police - if you say nic Noi or Mai kel Jai then ( probably not even spelt right) you're at their mercy

It seems that any action or lack thereof, results in negative comments from those that seem to know-all, see-all, do-all.

Whatever steps the Thai authorities take is beyond my control since I am not Thai, not in charge and just passing through in the years I live here.

My business is more in keeping my own house in order than trying to keep another's.