Farangs need to pay for their public road repair and upgrade.

Happy Grumpy

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this story. Makes no sense. So the city planners are sitting around trying to figure out where the farang houses are so that the street won't be repaired at exactly those locations? And the other owners who are Thai? How about others who drive on those streets? Surely would include everyone. You guys shouldn't be so gullible.

You haven't really lived here long have you. This is very believable. When falang live in a basically rural area, EVERYONE knows who the falang are and where they live. There is no conscious thought that has to go into. You could almost say it's done instinctively and by silent consensus.

You also have no imagination how it could be that only falang live on and use this one road. Give it just a tiny, weensy bit of thought.

• Like 1

This story happens all the time.

They stopped the road pavement just 10 meters from our home. 150 meters from my home is another farang and between the other farang and me is just 2 homes and those peoples are very poor.

My lassie would be the highest paying person in terms of taxes around 120,000 Baht per year so I told those PYB that the money goes to Bangkok and not to the local Amphur.

• Like 1

This happened at the end of my road, they resurfaced the road from my house down to the main road, about 700 Mts.

They then stopped about six Mts from the main road, and never fixed it for more than three years.

This was nothing to do with Farang though. Just a case of TiT.

....of course...you see it time and again....

...and to deny that it happens......to foreigners.....time and again.......is........denial....

...throwing anybody to the lions.....to be politically correct.......is unacceptable......

...and it just perpetuates the injustices........

Four of them did.

Official line came back that the budget was all used up and there was no money left to do the roads that were not done.

The only road that was not done was, yup, Soi Farang. laugh.png

They were told again that they could pay to have it done, if they wanted.

Don't live in foreigner ghetto's, then they can't play that game.

8 foreigner houses out of ten, all owned (illegally) by proxy, they gotta be having a laugh.

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this story. Makes no sense. So the city planners are sitting around trying to figure out where the farang houses are so that the street won't be repaired at exactly those locations? And the other owners who are Thai? How about others who drive on those streets? Surely would include everyone. You guys shouldn't be so gullible.

Yeah it had click bait written all over it. If the farang don't own the houses in their wives names then the local government have only affected the Thai owners,and if the land is owned by the wives then all they have to do is visit the local offices and play holy hell.Seems someone just wanted to herd all the Thai bashers in for a sing a long

Edited by Luxfare
  • Like 2

There are no city planners...

Very believable story...we own rice fields off a distribution canal from a reservoir...last year a farmer three lands downstream blocked our water access hole..when caught by our caretaker...said " farang wealthy not need money"......

• Like 1

Yeah it had click bait written all over it. If the farang don't own the houses in their wives names then the local government have only affected the Thai owners,and if the land is owned by the wives then all they have to do is visit the local offices and play holy hell.Seems someone just wanted to herd all the Thai bashers in for a sing a long

6 people on two pages, including a moderator, all with the same issue.

Yeah, it's all just BS in order to get the yellow-tinted glasses brigade upset because, of course, Thai society would never, ever, possibly act in such a way. rolleyes.gif

I'm guessing it wouldn't be hard to spot the farang castles perched above the rice paddies and shacks ? Now if it was me and I see my tax money going to the 'rich' (------ however we measure that . I would be truly upset myself ! a bit like an immigrant getting housing and healthcare who has never paid into the system before you do in your homeland ? You have to see it from both sides sometimes .

• Like 2

6 people on two pages, including a moderator, all with the same issue.

Yeah, it's all just BS in order to get the yellow-tinted glasses brigade upset because, of course, Thai society would never, ever, possibly act in such a way. rolleyes.gif

And all farang are truthful, never lie or generalize. Amazing how many farang within 2 pages have had exactly the same happen to them.......almost epidemic.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it wouldn't be hard to spot the farang castles perched above the rice paddies and shacks ? Now if it was me and I see my tax money going to the 'rich' (------ however we measure that . I would be truly upset myself ! a bit like an immigrant getting housing and healthcare who has never paid into the system before you do in your homeland ? You have to see it from both sides sometimes .

You clearly seem to be missing a vital point..

Thailand operates a system of weak income taxation and relies more on consumption taxes, import duties, etc to allocate budgets.

Hence the wine drinking BMW driving farang, despite paying no income tax (usually they have no income and are living on savings) actually contributes far more in taxation than a normal employed Thai.

And where did the OP claim he was a BMW driving wine drinker? And I guess all the near by Thais in your mind ride an ox and cart while knocking back moonshine?

You have to love the superiority complex of some 'farang'.

• Like 1

I didn't miss any point , as I said I was just pointing out there is two sides to every coin . Of course in a roundabout way we contribute to the economics of Thailand , but from a legal stand we do not own these houses and are merely squatting on the land that we want roads built . I understand the injustice but we knew the rules when we came to play .

• Like 2

This happened to me just two weeks ago !!

They decided after many years to re-surface the farm track that runs outside my home, covering the hard red mud/gravel with a grey shale type surface. They started at the top of the track, stopped where my property starts, and commenced again where my property finished. Wife asked why they stopped, "ferang have money", so the wife speaks with her Father, Father disappears on his motorcycle, returns 20 minutes later, and trucks re-appear and complete the missing section outside our home.

Leave it to the Thais to sort out ! problem sorted in short time. thumbsup.gif

The village laid cement down the soi that I and one other neighbor live on. Yeah, I'm pretty sure if something like that would have happened, my wife would have been on the warpath. People in these villages are generally extended blood relatives. Somebody, knows somebody, who pushes the right buttons. But, we didn't have such problems. I was very delighted. It looks great and makes driving out of the soi much easier. And, I do pay Thai taxes.

Non working foreigners contribute very little to the economy..most on fairly small budgets, not all spent on consumption taxes , probably very little..cars are a one off ..given the use of the roads the infrastructure, police, emergency services etc..local schools and hospitals in some cases..this argument is over stated....

• Like 1

Thailand operates a system of weak income taxation and relies more on consumption taxes, import duties, etc to allocate budgets.

Hence the wine drinking BMW driving farang, despite paying no income tax (usually they have no income and are living on savings) actually contributes far more in taxation than a normal employed Thai.

And where did the OP claim he was a BMW driving wine drinker? And I guess all the near by Thais in your mind ride an ox and cart while knocking back moonshine?

If you're an expat living here, you're paying VAT just like everyone else. As far as income tax goes, how many people pay income tax? There are a huge number of rural folk who don't even meet the income threshold to have to file and pay. So if you're here, but not working, you're paying taxes like most rural people do, i.e., via VAT. So if you have more money, you're probably buying more (BMWs and wine, all taxable I believe), and proportionally paying more taxes than the average Somchai.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

If you're an expat living here, you're paying VAT just like everyone else. As far as income tax goes, how many people pay income tax? There are a huge number of rural folk who don't even meet the income threshold to have to file and pay. So if you're here, but not working, you're paying taxes like most rural people do, i.e., via VAT. So if you have more money, you're probably buying more (BMWs and wine, all taxable I believe), and proportionally paying more taxes than the average Somchai.

I earn a good salary, pay a fair bit of tax...yet I'm a BTS and Singha man. To make out all farang live the lives of kings and that the Thais should respect said kings is so far wide of the mark it's not even funny.

This thread was a typical "let's all Thai bashers" thread it's as simple as that.

If the same had happened to me I'd have

1/ if the house was in my wife's name ask her to contact the people responsible and ask why they didn't do our soi and would they like me to take it further up the chain of command

2/ if I'm renting contact the owner and ask what's going on and is he/she happy that their soi is now less developed than the others

But then again some people are doers and some are just cynical ranters expecting people to go "there there, let's slate someone while doing nothing about it".

• Like 1

Your view is that everybody who posted that they had the same issue, was lying about it, including a moderator.

"Amazing how many farang within 2 pages have had exactly the same happen to them.......almost epidemic."

Back under your troll bridge, fella.

I earn a good salary, pay a fair bit of tax...yet I'm a BTS and Singha man. To make out all farang live the lives of kings and that the Thais should respect said kings is so far wide of the mark it's not even funny.

This thread was a typical "let's all Thai bashers" thread it's as simple as that.

If the same had happened to me I'd have

1/ if the house was in my wife's name ask her to contact the people responsible and ask why they didn't do our soi and would they like me to take it further up the chain of command

2/ if I'm renting contact the owner and ask what's going on and is he/she happy that their soi is now less developed than the others

But then again some people are doers and some are just cynical ranters expecting people to go "there there, let's slate someone while doing nothing about it".

I feel your pain. I'm a San Migual Lite, a 24 year old Toyota Corolla, and 7 year old Honda Dream man myself Lol Don't have BTS up here in Northern LOS, but I still have my BTS card filed away somewhere. smile.png

And I use to pay taxes when I worked here, but now I'm retired just like the Thai school teachers down the street who make me look poor, and I'm sure I pay the same in taxes as they do now, which is VAT. thumbsup.gif

I have no complaints. They paved my soi and we never asked or requested. Again, I was delighted...still am!

• Like 2

One day, sooner of later a little bit of respect will have to be paid to the farangs who live in Thailand and spend more money than the majority of Thais. Nationalism is ignorant, churlish, boring, childish, and completely lacking in vision.

• Like 1

You haven't really lived here long have you. This is very believable. When falang live in a basically rural area, EVERYONE knows who the falang are and where they live. There is no conscious thought that has to go into. You could almost say it's done instinctively and by silent consensus.

You also have no imagination how it could be that only falang live on and use this one road. Give it just a tiny, weensy bit of thought.

Have no experience of the 'farang can pay' road repair situation.

Completely agree with the 'locals know where farang live' situation.

Any time I drive with the Thai gf, she can tell me which houses are 'owned' by farangs. And I would say 50% of the time she knows the nationality of the farang (local to our village, it's 100%).

Not been here very long when she first made me aware of this knowledge (we were about 7km from home and still I was getting reports 'farang house', 'farang house').

I was gobsmacked. I've since met quite a few and she was spot on.

And yes, we are in a rural area.

One day, sooner of later a little bit of respect will have to be paid to the farangs who live in Thailand and spend more money than the majority of Thais.

Will it?

I share your scepticism Happy Grumpy. Can't see any respect coming our way in my lifetime. And I reckon I've got at least a couple of decades left in me (as long as I avoid high buildings in Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket).

The guy who started this thread is a troll, just had a private massaging tit for tat with him and he openly admitted it was a troll. The moderators do nothing about these racists and cowards because of the hits their controversial threads create.

Lying and a coward.

Not a good combination Luxfare.

Good luck with it.

Sorry for getting you so absolutely furious. thumbsup.gif

Reporting the PM will eject the troll from this forum.

Report button is bottom left in the message.

The OP is the troll.

6 people, including a moderator, have had the same issue as the OP.

You've tried to troll the thread, got caught out, then got violent via PM and had a meltdown.

Bizarre. crazy.gif