Farangs need to pay for their public road repair and upgrade.

Happy Grumpy

Interesting topic. Never quite understood the desire to build the farang castle in the middle of a row of shacks.

You've obviously never married a village girl, I'd (rightly or wrongly) assume? Edited by DILLIGAD

Never had a problem in our Moo Bahn in Bangkok. The BMA and local politicians treat me the same as Thai. The road used to flood and they raised the road, improved the drains and now it doesn't flood. Every year I also get a free meal and presents when they pay repsect to the old people here. The local politicians treat us to a street party and meal even though I can't vote. They also send us on coach holidays to Hua Hin/Cha Ahm to pay for our votes.

A quantity of "troll type" comments & responses, also bickering between members have been removed.

post-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gy

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

post-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gy

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

I believe the OP...100%

That reminds me of the full page Sunday Bangkok post story I read back around 1995.

The story was about the current Minister of highways and his ministerial duties that he openly discussed with the newspaper.

He went on to explain that he was the Minister of highways ( was he Placed? or Chosen? or voted in??? who knows?? ) because he was considered by everyone and himself to be the best suited and most qualified man for the position.

Why?

Because his long running, family owned business, was road and highway construction in all its aspects.

They had asphalt paving equipment and gravel pit operations and loads of earth moving equipment and dump trucks galore and plenty of experience building roads and highways by way of the company that the Father had started 30 years before...so..... they were more than capable of doing the work needed to build the ever expanding roads and highways throughout the country....so that is why he was the minister of highways.

With a big grin on his face he explained to the newspaper reporter that he was better suited than any other person for the job because he knew all about road construction and that would always be his defense and reasoning as to why he was the minister of highways while actually arguing this way is considered by himself and others the best way for the country...smile, smile.

No need to explain any further as to the real reasons "why" he was the Minister of highways at that time...... in charge of a very large, multi billion Baht budget.

I will leave it up to the other members "imagination" to figure out why

Cheers

Edited by gemguy
  • Like 2

I believe the problem is integration.

I've seen (in Isan); when a Thai wife with her Falang husband come home to build a house on her land and they totally overdo it.

You can build a big fancy house in eg. Phuket without any problems, but if you do it a small village in Isan, you are bound to have problems. You will not get any respects from the locals; but actually the opposite. They see your big house and 1-3 cars as an insult to them. They don't understand, that you might have worked hard, to get the money you have.

They accept (and respect)influential people in the village that have big houses, because they've "earned it"!?.

So; when in Rome, do as the Romans.

You would not build a big house in a poor neighbourhood in your home country!?.

I believe the problem is integration.

I've seen (in Isan); when a Thai wife with her Falang husband come home to build a house on her land and they totally overdo it.

You can build a big fancy house in eg. Phuket without any problems

From the first page.

It was the same when I lived in Phuket in the Baan Suan Kamnan area south of Patong.

We had to pay for our own roads down to the houses

You would not build a big house in a poor neighbourhood in your home country!?.

That's because they would break in and steal all your stuff.

Here the serfs are a bit more controlled.

I believe it's the same here.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this story. Makes no sense. So the city planners are sitting around trying to figure out where the farang houses are so that the street won't be repaired at exactly those locations? And the other owners who are Thai? How about others who drive on those streets? Surely would include everyone. You guys shouldn't be so gullible.

It doesn't just happen to farangs. There's a road near my home which leads off a main highway, the first 50 meters is trashed, then the road is fine. There's a cement factory there and the heavy trucks destroyed the road. The local govt said "You broke it, you fix it".

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this story. Makes no sense. So the city planners are sitting around trying to figure out where the farang houses are so that the street won't be repaired at exactly those locations? And the other owners who are Thai? How about others who drive on those streets? Surely would include everyone. You guys shouldn't be so gullible.

It doesn't just happen to farangs. There's a road near my home which leads off a main highway, the first 50 meters is trashed, then the road is fine. There's a cement factory there and the heavy trucks destroyed the road. The local govt said "You broke it, you fix it".

That is a different situation as what is claimed in the OP, and would also be applicable in the west, only there the government would fix it and send the cement factory the bill.

Actually, comparing the two (houses in the West and in Thailand).

After years of living here, I think the biggest shock when going home on holidays is seeing suburban streets of houses with no walls, no fences, no bars on the windows... just open lawns running down to the road, windows unbarred.

Which country is Buddhist again.

A while back, I crossed the border into Malaysia. It took me an hour or two, I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Then I realized what it was.

No walls, no bars on the windows (and not wood "windows," but glass), and green lawns.

Right across the border.

• Like 1

A while back, I crossed the border into Malaysia. It took me an hour or two, I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

No walls, no bars on the windows (and not wood "windows," but glass), and green lawns.

Right across the border.

Sounds like a society of decent people.

Right across the border.

Yes, Muslim society has its positive points. Perhaps you should convert.

I think this is history repeating itself.

Decades, maybe centuries ago this type of things were happening... but in a worst manner.

I guess this will keep on happening until dooms day!

While one lot enjoys the other whines...

Human beings are so.

Right across the border.

Get a life. saai.gif

Right across the border.

You don't have to be Muslim to live in a decent society.