Australian supermarket shuts website in Anzac Day furor

webfact

Australian supermarket shuts website in Veterans' Day furor
ROD McGUIRK, Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia's biggest supermarket chain on Wednesday apologized and pulled down a website that has been widely criticized of commercializing the centenary of the country's Veterans' Day.

Woolworths, which brands itself as "The Fresh Food People," launched the website "Fresh in Our Memories" late Tuesday to commemorate ANZAC Day on April 25.

ANZAC stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, which was part of a disastrous British-led ground invasion of Turkey's Gallipoli peninsula on April 25, 1915. The anniversary of the start of the nine-month campaign by the multinational British Empire force in World War I has become a major national day for both Australians and New Zealanders.

Woolworths invited customers to upload photographs of veterans on the website. The images were displayed with the slogan "Fresh in Our Memories," the Woolworths logo and "Lest We Forget. ANZAC 1915 - 2015." The campaign immediately drew strong criticism on social media.

Veterans Affairs Minister Michael Ronaldson on Wednesday described the site as an ad. He said he contacted Woolworths as soon as he became aware of the campaign and "asked them to end it."

Under the Protection of Word "ANZAC" Act 1920, permission for its commercial use must be granted by the government, he said.

"The Australian community quite rightly expects that the word 'ANZAC' is not trivialized or used inappropriately and as minister for veterans affairs, I am responsible for ensuring that any use of the word 'ANZAC' does not provide commercial benefit to an organization," Ronaldson said in a statement.

Woolworths confirmed that the site had been taken down and apologized.

"The site was developed to give our staff and customers a place to put their stories to mark the Centenary of ANZAC," the company said in a statement. "We regret that our branding on the picture generator has caused offense. This was clearly never our intention.".

The 1920 legislation carries a maximum 12-month prison sentence and fines of 50,000 Australian dollars ($38,000) for a corporation and AU$10,000 ($7,600) for an individual.

Ronaldson said he had accepted Woolworths' explanation that it did not know permission was needed to use the word. Because the company quickly closed the site, Ronaldson said he did not believe it should be prosecuted.

"I hope that the events of last night are a salutary reminder to everyone that this is a very, very special word for all Australians," he said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-16

The countries "Veterans Day"

How bloody insulting it's called "ANZAC DAY" Who wrote this, an American? Aussies and Kiwis are very proud of the name and trying to Americanise it with the term Veterans Day is totally disrespectful to those that proudly called themselves ANZACS.

How bloody insulting it's called "ANZAC DAY" Who wrote this, an American? Aussies and Kiwis are very proud of the name and trying to Americanise it with the term Veterans Day is totally disrespectful to those that proudly called themselves ANZACS.

The controversy was about using Anzac, not not using it. Read the article.

The controversy was about using Anzac, not not using it. Read the article.
I am refering to the term Veterans Day in the article which is wrong and insulting it is ANZAC DAY, I am an ex serviceman and the use of the term Veteran in place of ANZAC by the journalist is insulting

Those Aussie supermarkets and other big business have lost the their marbles and the plot

long time ago, nowadays, it's all about profits, and more profits and bugger you if you stand

in their way, case in point where in the last Islam's Ramadan month, they have banners all

over the supermarkets with the holiday greetings and other diatribe for the Muslim communities.

They didn't do the same for other religions, that have bigger communities in Australia, but s

somehow they saw fit to go on a big Ramadan fasting month..... and yes, guess who goes

mostly to fight with ISIS? Australia's Muslims...

It would have been easy for the journalist(s) and editor(s) to explain that ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.

And according to Wikipedia "Anzac Day /ˈænzæk/ is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served.", and "Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first campaign that led to major casualties for Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War."

I agree with most of the earlier posts, Woolies insulted the ANZAC tradition and all ANZACs.

When you get as big and powerful as Woolworths you don't give a rats about who you insult but obviously this was going to hurt their profits and end in possible legal action. Nothing less than an affront to every Australian and New Zealander, we should all boycott Woolworths for many reasons but this is the perfect reason. Another reason I left Australia, no accountability, ethics or morals........unless you get caught out then you make up excuses.

Rod McGuirk appears to be an Australian journalist based in Canberra.

As an ex-digger I have no issue with the article's use of Veterans Day in this context. It was aimed at an international audience, many of whom would not have understood the term ANZAC. Thanks to this article many more people are now enlightened.

A well-written article and shame on Wollies for trying to cash-in.

I will be marching in Brisbane on the 25th.

(Medical Corps Vietnam)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am glad I got to read this post Since I came to Thailand I have read here on Thia visa reference to ANZAC but never knew what it meant I finally know what it stands for.

The words ANZAC / ANZAC DAY and how it relates to WW1 now explained by other posters.

Perhaps worth adding that this very special day now also remembers the sacrifices Australians have made in all other conflicts that Australians have participated in since WW1.

(Vietnam veteran)

Those Aussie supermarkets and other big business have lost the their marbles and the plot

long time ago, nowadays, it's all about profits, and more profits and bugger you if you stand

in their way, case in point where in the last Islam's Ramadan month, they have banners all

over the supermarkets with the holiday greetings and other diatribe for the Muslim communities.

They didn't do the same for other religions, that have bigger communities in Australia, but s

somehow they saw fit to go on a big Ramadan fasting month..... and yes, guess who goes

Woolworths Australia had signs in 236 out of 872 stores stating Happy Ramadan, they have similar messaging for other religious holidays for non Muslims. Easter and Xmas messaging to promote spending is heavily advertised throughout the Australian media / retail environment.

"Woolworths was running a campaign to celebrate Ramadan in supermarkets that have a high concentration of customers who observe the celebration. 'We'd done this for a number of years as we do for other festivals including Diwali, Lunar New Year, Passover among others,' he said. 'The number of stores participating this year is slightly higher than last year"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2671625/Shoppers-angered-Happy-Ramadan-signs-Woolworths-claiming-supermarket-promotes-terrorism.html

On the other matter you have posted mis-information. A few days ago it was claimed by Oz Govt it has so far identified around 100 Australian Muslims with IS, with to date 20 killed in Iraq and Syria. Whilst one is too many, the 100 represent a small minority of the total who have travelled to join IS from other Western countries.

Edited by simple1

You must have missed the, admittedly very small, Xmas & Easter decorations & promotions.

As an ex-digger I have no issue with the article's use of Veterans Day in this context. It was aimed at an international audience, many of whom would not have understood the term ANZAC. Thanks to this article many more people are now enlightened.

A well-written article and shame on Wollies for trying to cash-in.

I will be marching in Brisbane on the 25th.

(Medical Corps Vietnam)

The author chose the use the American expression Veteran's Day, Given the actual content and context of the article he could and should have been more sensitive.

Well done Australia for enacting such legislation in 1920. Not sure Woolworth's ignorance of the law excuse flies. Looks like a straightforward advertising campaign thought up to cash in on the centenary and enhance the brand.

If no prosecution then a sizable donation to appropriate military charity would be in order.

Who are the "clowns" that Woolworths engage to write this sort of advertising? And who is the Woolworths clown that gave the okay to it? He/she should be fired for incompetence!

Ignorance of the law may be the reason BUT it is NOT AN EXCUSE.

Edited by lvr181

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Who are the "clowns" that Woolworths engage to write this sort of advertising? And who is the Woolworths clown that gave the okay to it? He/she should be fired for incompetence!

Ignorance of the law may be the reason BUT it is NOT AN EXCUSE.

The retail industry in all countries is highly dynamic and nowadays you need to be clever to just maintain market share let alone build it further.

So it seems to me that a giant organization like Woolworths would have a contracted high performance professional marketing agency building their marketing startegies or they would have a similar highly professional in-house department.

In either case they should be highly knowledgeable about all the laws and regulations they need to be careful of.

We didn't know is totally unacceptable.

I was Store Manager for Woolworths in Australia a few years ago. Their sole interest is in satisfying their shareholders, and hence maximising profit. To hell with their staff and customers.

Woolworths should have been penalised for this thoughtless cash-grab to the full extent of the law. Seems corruption is alive and well, though kept underground, in the land of Oz.

It has been ANZAC Day for decades. Every year it is a national day of pride and remembrance. Nothing Americanized about it. Facts people, facts.

You can take it up with Associated Press. The date line is Canberra and the author does quite a bit of writing about issues concerning Australia.

I just reread the article and from the outset it is insulting to each and every Australian worth his salt.

"Australia's biggest supermarket chain on Wednesday apologized and pulled down a website that has been widely criticized of commercializing the centenary of the country's Veterans' Day."

Our country does not have a Veterans' Day. (perhaps if it were not capitalized it would refer to a day for veterans.) thumbsup.gif

We do have a Vietnam Veterans' Day. A simple google search shows this.

I suppose the real question here is does this author have any respect for Australian returned servicemen or not. I doubt very much if he has ever heard a whistling in the wind.

1915....relevant today...how?

get over it

And why is it not relevant? I guess you are a person who has never fought for anyones' freedoms? Many gave their lives so that idiots like you have the freedom to make your obnoxious comments bah.gif

So I would suggest you get over it and get a real life.

And, yes, I am an ex serviceman and proud of it.

It has been ANZAC Day for decades. Every year it is a national day of pride and remembrance. Nothing Americanized about it. Facts people, facts.
You definately never, ever served in the Australian military, refering to the most sacred day in Australian history by the American name of Veterans Day instead of its real name of ANZAC DAY is a huge insult to the ANZACS, thier families and thier memories. It is also a great insult to all past and serving Australian/New Zealand military men an women. My Great Grandfather landed on Gallipoli at 22 years of age he was not a VETERAN he was an ANZAC.

The article is clearly for an INTERNATIONAL audience who may not be familiar with ANZAC.

The controversy is the actual news event, not AP style books.

If i do not reconise a term i can always Google it. So they cannot they.

Mr Magoo missing the now traditional three month lead up to Christmas. Bet he missed all the hot cross buns last week as well.

1915....relevant today...how?

get over it

And why is it not relevant? I guess you are a person who has never fought for anyones' freedoms? Many gave their lives so that idiots like you have the freedom to make your obnoxious comments bah.gif

So I would suggest you get over it and get a real life.

And, yes, I am an ex serviceman and proud of it.

I would be quite interested to know how killing Turkish people protected even one Australian person's freedom in the 2nd decade of the 20th Century.

Cultural icon or sacred cow. Looking at the hysterical comments of a few in response to this issue leads me to believe that a cultural icon has now become distorted. Those who are loudest on this issue have no claim to a larger share of the ANZAC tradition than any other Australian or New Zealander, irrespective of whether they served or not. It is part of our shared heritage. It has been given to us by those who came before us. No one person has the moral right to require anyone to feel a certain way about this tradition. Each person will respond to the tradition in their own way. This includes Vietnamese Australians. This includes war veterans. This includes Muslim Australians. Everyone.

I will not bore people with my own connections to the ANZAC tradition nor what it meant to me growing up as an Australian. I certainly would not attempt to dictate to anyone they way in which they should respond to the tradition. It seems to me that if our cultural icons are now being claimed by the lunatic fringe to promote some cultural stereotype and create division in society and hatred towards minorities, then it has become a sacred cow, ripe for slaughter.

Nobody need to prove their patriotism on this issue. Every town in Australia, large and small has a war memorial. Most of us have participated in dawn services and marches on ANZAC Day at some part of our lives. We all share in this tradition and nobody gets to tell anyone else how to interpret the tradition.

An emotive subject for sure, I experianced ANZAC day on a trip to Oz in 2006 (I never knew about it before then - Im a Pom) when it was explained to me i thought what a great way to remember the fallen heroes and pay Respect to people and the old Diggers who gave their all. I was honoured to be there and see this day.

My own Grandad landed in Gallipoli as part of the 19th Division, British Mediterrainian Expiditionary Force, he was 21, The Kings Border Regt, 4 weeks later he was unconsious and badly wounded when they pulled him out of the ground after a shell expoloded on their positions, he was lucky, he was sent via Egypt Alexandria, Hospital, then Malta Hospital then back to UK kept in Naval Hospital about 6 months he was then classed as unfit for war service Kings Regulation XVI, the rest of his mates who did survive the Hell he escaped then ended up in Flanders shortly after and a lot of the poor blokes perished there. Bloody God forsaken Wars? If he had not survived I would not be writing this.

Also was impressed with the live telecast service from Turkey and the script from Mustapha Kamal (Ataturk) relating to the fallen being looked after in the Bosom of Mother Turkey and for their mothers to not weep as they will be looked after as if thier own.

Lest we forget!

Darn right.

Big Kev would have been spitting BBq sauce over it.

bigkev4.jpg?w=610