'Mentally ill' Indonesian worker beheaded in Saudi Arabia

webfact

'Mentally ill' Indonesian worker beheaded in Saudi Arabia

JAKARTA: -- An Indonesian female worker was executed in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday after being on a death row for over 15 years for killing her boss, The Jakarta Globe reported.

The Indonesian government, saying it has done its utmost to prevent the execution of a possibly mentally ill Siti Zaenab bnti Buhri Rupa, regrets the fact that the decapitation went ahead on Tuesday, without her family being notified in advance.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir said that Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi had asked the family of the killed woman to forgive the Indonesian worker, and a press release on the ministry’s website said that President Joko Widodo as well as his predecessors Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and Abdurrahman Wahid had sent letters to the Saudi king to request clemency.

In Saudi Arabia, a death sentence can be commuted if the family of the victim forgives his or her murderer.

Amnesty International said in a press release that Siti Zaenab was reported to have stabbed her employer 18 times after allegedly being mistreated by the employer’s son. She “confessed” to the act during interrogation, but reports suggest “police suspected that she suffered from mental illness at the time,” Amnesty said.

Amnesty says Saudi Arabia ranks among the top five executioners in the world, having executed at least 60 people so far this year, most of them by beheading. The country carried out 90 executions last year.

Joko’s government itself has come under fire in recent months for resuming executions of drug convicts on death row, most of them foreign nationals.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mentally-ill-indonesian-worker-beheaded-in-saudi-arabia

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-16

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As far as compassion is concerned I'm afraid Muslim countries walk hand in hand

If it's not been loped off.sad.png

I do find it strange that Widodo asked for clemency, when he refuses to do the same

You can almost guarantee this poor woman was certainly physically, if not sexually, abused to the point of losing her mind.

It is sadly common in this part of the world - there are no labour laws protecting housemaids, and they are frequently overworked, starved, beaten and sexually abused.

If they get paid, they are lucky.

Slightly different to a bunch of Aussies willfully breaking the laws of Indonesia by smuggling drugs, don't you think?

Yes it's different, she murdered a guy in cold blood, the drug smugglers didn't kill anyone.

Convicted murderers often use sob stories that they are victims.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

I do find it strange that Widodo asked for clemency, when he refuses to do the same

You can almost guarantee this poor woman was certainly physically, if not sexually, abused to the point of losing her mind.

It is sadly common in this part of the world - there are no labour laws protecting housemaids, and they are frequently overworked, starved, beaten and sexually abused.

Slightly different to a bunch of Aussies willfully breaking the laws of Indonesia by smuggling drugs, don't you think?

Yes it's different, she murdered a guy in cold blood, the drug smugglers didn't kill anyone.

They may not have killed anyone directly however the drugs they smuggled in, more than once, probably did.

And aren't they using a sob story as well?

• Like 2

It is true that drug smugglers contribute to the deaths of many. With this reasoning, shouldn't those who sell alcohol and tobacco products be guilty of causing far more deaths than illegal drugs. What about those that sell sugar, animal products and other unhealthy products, should they be executed as well?<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They may not have killed anyone directly however the drugs they smuggled in, more than once, probably did.

• Like 2

STRAPPER1,

While you are at it, why don't you add knives and cutlery. Used to kill people. So let's execute all the manufacturers of these products...

Give it a thought before you post....

Some products do have some merit.... Alcool, as an example, I do enjoy a bottle of beer before my dinner.... It does have some merit. Of course some do choose to take alcool to kill themselves and others. It does not take away its merit. A little bit of sweet in chocolate, does have some merit. And of course some people choose to eat until it destroys them. Does not take away the merit of the food itself.

But I agree with you on one point, cigarette, nicotine, no merit in there. Made to get one hooked on a real bad drug that will eventually kill.

STRAPPER1,

While you are at it, why don't you add knives and cutlery. Used to kill people. So let's execute all the manufacturers of these products...

Give it a thought before you post....

Some products do have some merit.... Alcool, as an example, I do enjoy a bottle of beer before my dinner.... It does have some merit. Of course some do choose to take alcool to kill themselves and others. It does not take away its merit. A little bit of sweet in chocolate, does have some merit. And of course some people choose to eat until it destroys them. Does not take away the merit of the food itself.

But I agree with you on one point, cigarette, nicotine, no merit in there. Made to get one hooked on a real bad drug that will eventually kill.

I didn't mean to be take literally. Never meant to execute anyone. You made a good point about knives. I was just trying to make a point, that many people who are executed for drug offenses are really no worse than your average every day penny ante criminal. What makes them so different. There but for the grace of god go I.

well, they're all a bit middle east of normal.

my only interest in this was due to me ex-missus, a filo, claimed she raped by her Bahraini boss. This was before my time frame with her, and I forgive him now w00t.gif , especially the part where she blamed him, and stabbed him with the scissors.

I'd now even offer him a beer and risk beheading...

well, they're all a bit middle east of normal.

my only interest in this was due to me ex-missus, a filo, claimed she raped by her Bahraini boss. This was before my time frame with her, and I forgive him now w00t.gif , especially the part where she blamed him, and stabbed him with the scissors.

I'd now even offer him a beer and risk beheading...

I wouldn't be at all surprised. I know of a Filipina housemaid in Bahrain who was raped by a Bahraini taxi driver.

The first thing the police asked was "Was she a virgin?", and the investigation went downhill from there.

If you think farang are second class citizens in Thailand, try being a non-Arab in an Arab country, especially the GCC.

Third world nationals are simply considered fodder to do with as they please.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

Using your logic, the knife company that supplied this Indo maid with her stabbing knife should be guilty along with the murderer. And those Aussie drug smugglers are not using a sob story, they admitted everything, they are just saying that drug crimes should get death penalty.

Do you have any evidence of this? You can't guarantee anything based on urban myth, bigoted bias and loose journalism.

There have been cases of maids and servants being mistreated in many countries, including rapes and murders. But as a % of those employed in such work it is not high enough to prevent scores of girls moving to other countries to take up posts.

Quite frankly, having been in several countries in the Middle East you do see them being treated as servants in public, which doesn't sit too well with Westerners anymore. But, that's how it was in the West for those "in service" not so long ago.

The Philippine's government are particularly good at looking after their nationals. Most women working as maids and servants are safe, do get paid, do get the required holidays, days off and air tickets home. The down side is low pay, long hours, treated like servants in public (I've regularly seen people eating in restaurants put their maids on a different table and make them fetch a KFC/McDonald's type meal which they can only eat after feeding their employers kids; or people flying in business class but putting their kids and maids in economy - and then try and bring the kids into business and hope no one says anything).

Don't know the in and outs of this case so can't comment. But any commuting of the death sentence is reliant on the family of the victim. It is to them appeals for mercy should be addressed.

can't expect any Shi'ite to offer clemency to a Sunni'...

to the Shi'ite, a mentally impaired person is but an animal not worth saving

Saudi Arabia is very much majority Sunni, and the royal family definitely are.

Exactly. They didn't kill anything one. Just moved an illegal substance internationally.

If you follow your argument you have to be consistent and also blame tobacco and alcohol companies for deaths

A very un-thought out comment: Just moved an illegal substance. Regardless of the morals and the health risks, in most countries, (except perhaps the Islamic countries), there is nothing illegal about cigarettes or alcohol. Furthermore, in those countries, even the teetotalers and non smokers are quite happy for taxes to be paid on those items, which benefit everyone.

So drug smugglers do not contribute to untold deaths every year, including children??

What planet are you on?

Asks for clemency for a murderer, but wont show any for drug couriers. Screw joko

no execute the drug couriers, the maid killed one person but drug couriers contribute to the deaths of many

people.

Any idea how many people get killed by legal companys distributing alcohol? Execute them as well?