International drivers permit and vehicle insurance

Lefty

International permit required together with your normal licence but plays no part in vehicle insurance. First three months in country and you can use your home licence after that you need a Thai Licence.

When I bought my first new car here (about 7 years ago) it came with 1st class insurance. Within a couple of months I had a motorbike crash into the passenger door so I had to call the insurance, and the police attended also. I had heard that insurance was not valid unless you had a Thai drivers licence, I asked the insurance guy about this when he arrived and he said it did not make any difference to that insurance company, the company was Viriyah who are one of the biggest in Thailand.

Over the years we have had to make 4 claims, one of then was for when dogs scratched the car trying to get to a cat that was on the roof, they really badly scratched every panel except roof and hood. I expected a problem with the insurance because the car was parked off the road at the time, but as on the other occasions the insurance quickly dealt with it and it was repaired to the highest standard.

Overall my experience with car insurance companies in Thailand has been very good.

My UK drivers licence has always been good in Thailand, I do have a Thai one but I have never been asked for it as I always show my UK one. I have never needed a IDP in Thailand, or indeed any other country except japan.

This is only something I've recently read on the Gov.co.uk web site ,

The paper counterpart for the UK driving licence is to be phased out this June or

July , only the photo ID part will remain , I don't know if it will affect us expats in Thailand,

When I bought my first new car here (about 7 years ago) it came with 1st class insurance. Within a couple of months I had a motorbike crash into the passenger door so I had to call the insurance, and the police attended also. I had heard that insurance was not valid unless you had a Thai drivers licence, I asked the insurance guy about this when he arrived and he said it did not make any difference to that insurance company, the company was Viriyah who are one of the biggest in Thailand.

Over the years we have had to make 4 claims, one of then was for when dogs scratched the car trying to get to a cat that was on the roof, they really badly scratched every panel except roof and hood. I expected a problem with the insurance because the car was parked off the road at the time, but as on the other occasions the insurance quickly dealt with it and it was repaired to the highest standard.

Overall my experience with car insurance companies in Thailand has been very good.

My UK drivers licence has always been good in Thailand, I do have a Thai one but I have never been asked for it as I always show my UK one. I have never needed a IDP in Thailand, or indeed any other country except japan.

The paper counterpart for the UK driving licence is to be phased out this June or

July , only the photo ID part will remain , I don't know if it will affect us expats in Thailand,

I wouldn't think that this should have any impact on us UK expats in Thailand. The main purpose of the counterpart was to record traffic offences and the accumulated penalty points. Now that every police officer in the land has almost instant access to central records which stores all that info, it has now become redundant.

A point worth mentioning though. Most folks know that a UK licence is valid until they reach 70 years of age. But beware, the photo ID licence is only valid for 10 years, then it must be replaced, using a new photo. Many people have been caught out by that. So check your expiry dates folks.

I also concur with the above comments regarding IDPs. I've driven in numerous countries and never, have I needed one.

Edited by Moonlover

It cannot have any effect on us here in Thailand, the licence is valid without the counterpart, it's only the UK that ever asks for the counterpart.

Nice story.

The question was about legally valid, and legally a Thai DL is required when living here.

International permit required together with your normal licence but plays no part in vehicle insurance. First three months in country and you can use your home licence after that you need a Thai Licence.

Second and third part are correct, but idp is not required(with a few provisions). Edited by stevenl

Since you're required to have a Thai DL this will not affect expats for driving in Thailand.

Sorry to change tack a little on insurance but i have lived here and owned a vehicle for the past 5 years,have blue book Thai licence etc and now would like to do a driving tour of surrounding countries in same ie Malaysia, Cambodia, Lao ,etc would appreciate info on border crossings etc ie do i have to get special plates /insurance etc at borders before or after reaching same, all contributions gratefully accepted, . M H