Advantages to having a Type "O" Marriage Visa?

I guess I should sharpen the question a little bit.

Is there anything I can do with a Marriage visa that a tourist or someone on a retirement visa can't do?

Is the entrance to temples or national parks the same.

You would think that if you marry a Thai you would get some perks you do in other countries but perhaps not in Thailand.

"perks" ? Thai immigration is not a frequent flyer program, if you want them pay from Bt 1M to buy a Thai Elite visa.

What you call "marriage visa" is actually an extension of stay. It allows to stay in Thailand for one year provided you can show Bt 400,000 In thai bank account for three months, or Bt 40,000 monthly income. You can apply for a a work permit. Nothing else.

.... ฿ 400,000 In Thai bank account for TWO months, ....

• Like 2

I was on retirement visa but the IMM.advised me to change it to marriage visa because it can then lead to residency after three years (residency is basicaly worthless also but there may be changes in future).

I think you need to have worked in Thailand for three years (or at least paid taxes for three years) before you can apply for residency. So yes, having a marriage extension of stay (which allows working in Thailand with a work permit) would be better than having a retirement extension of stay (which does not allow working). As far as I understand it you cannot apply for residency while on a retirement extension of stay. But merely having the marriage extension of stay wouldn't be enough, you would actually have to obtain a work permit and work for three years in order to apply for residency.

This is an excellent guide to the residency process: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

You can get a work permit without being on a marriage visa or even married.

I have bank accounts and online banking and I am on a retirement visa.

I think I will change this to a marriage visa this year though.

The only way I can see this effecting me is the bank balance requirements.

I was on retirement visa but the IMM.advised me to change it to marriage visa because it can then lead to residency after three years (residency is basicaly worthless also but there may be changes in future).

I think you need to have worked in Thailand for three years (or at least paid taxes for three years) before you can apply for residency. So yes, having a marriage extension of stay (which allows working in Thailand with a work permit) would be better than having a retirement extension of stay (which does not allow working). As far as I understand it you cannot apply for residency while on a retirement extension of stay. But merely having the marriage extension of stay wouldn't be enough, you would actually have to obtain a work permit and work for three years in order to apply for residency.

This is an excellent guide to the residency process: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

You don't need to have worked to apply for a residency, I asked at the immigration office and the said after getting an extension based on the non 'O' for 3 consecutive years you can apply, off course it is always their decision to grant residency or not

"You can get a work permit without being on a marriage visa or even married."

What the poster was saying was that if you are on an extension based on marriage your extension isn't cancelled when your work permit is. If you are on an extension of stay with a work permit and a job, then when you stop working you need to leave the country on the same day. Which you don't if you are on a marriage extension.

In short OP, there is no real benefit from one type of extension over another. Retirement extensions prohibit work so that is a limitation so that is why some opt for marriage extension even though they qualify for retirement.

Any non immigrant visa with extension and a local driver's license will give local price to most state parks. The same restrictions for type of work you are allowed to do, or what you are allowed to own apply to all.

There really isn't any major benefit for marriage extensions while applying for residency either.

You don't need to have worked to apply for a residency, I asked at the immigration office and the said after getting an extension based on the non 'O' for 3 consecutive years you can apply, off course it is always their decision to grant residency or not

I will never happen unless your are working. Even being supported by your wife will not be accepted although it is in the regulations.

See this this list of required documents. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/residence_th_sponser_en.pdf

• Like 1

whistling.gif You can Not get a multi entry one year VISA when you marry a Thai.

VISAs are not issued in Thailand at immigration.

If you are in Thailand and want to get married to a Thai you apply for an extension of your existing visa based on marriage to a Thai. This extension requires you to have either 400K Baht funds in a Thai bank, or the amount of 40K Baht income monthly.

Quite often your local immigration will change your current visa to a Non O visa to give you the extension to that Non O based on your marriage to a Thai.

One of the advantages of getting such an extension (often mistakenly called a marriage visa) is that with such a marriage extension/visa you can get a job and get a work permit to legally work in Thailand.

Being married to a Thai does not automatically help you gain residence in Thailand or become a permanent resident.

It can be an advantage if you do get a work permit to work in Thailand and pay Thai taxes on your income for 3 years, but it is not the marriage to a Thai, it is the 3 years of working and paying Thai taxes on your income that counts toward residence.

That can be an advantage if you want residence in Thailand.

Also it is often true that being married to a Thai and having that marriage extension can be a big help toward getting a Thai drivers license or opening a bank account.

And of course if you marry a Thai, and get that extension you do not to be 50 years old or more as you do for a retirement extension.

The disadvantage, as someone mentioned, is that if you are on an extension for marriage then if you are divorced or your Thai partner dies, your extension of stay in Thailand ends.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font Forum rule 1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

After looking into it further, I stand corrected. You are right and I am wrong: residency does not specifically require that you have been working for at least 3 years before you apply.

However...

when applying for residency you do have to indicate what category you are applying under. The category indicates why you think it would benefit Thailand to have you as a permanent resident. There are the following categories: Investment, Employment, Humanitarian (supporting a Thai family), Expert, and Extra circumstances on a case-by-case basis (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/26122546_regulation_notice_en.pdf).

So it's easy to see your pathway to residency if you are an investor, are employed, or support a Thai family (Humanitarian). If none of the preceding categories apply to you then you are left with the more difficult category of Expert. I can imagine many ways of demonstrating your expertise but if you are not also employed in some way in Thailand, it might be very difficult to demonstrate the tangible benefit of your expertise to Thailand.

Finally, the catch-all category of "Extra circumstances on a case-by-case basis" represents, in my opinion, a very up-hill battle to show that you are of great benefit to Thailand, because you aren't an investor, you don't work, you don't support a Thai family, and you aren't an expert.

So, unless you are an investor, employed, or support a Thai family, I suspect you're going to find it difficult to prove you would be an asset to Thailand as a permanent resident.

I guess I should sharpen the question a little bit.

Is there anything I can do with a Marriage visa that a tourist or someone on a retirement visa can't do?

Is the entrance to temples or national parks the same.

You would think that if you marry a Thai you would get some perks you do in other countries but perhaps not in Thailand.

"Is there anything I can do with a Marriage visa "

You need to sharpen your question even more. There is no marriage visa. You're asking about an extension of stay which permits you to remain in Thailand but is not a visa that would allow you to exit and re-enter Thailand.

You can start out with a non-imm O and get it based on being married, but stays of one year and annual renewal of them are granted using extensions of stay, not visas.

Edited by Suradit69

I think the OP was asking about a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage not an extension of stay?

Not based on what he stated. He couldn't stay continuously for one year without doing border runs.

You can stay for 1 year and have to renew every year.
Edited by Suradit69

You get a Non O based on marriage visa one time .

Then if you continue to meet the qualifications, you can get an extension of stay on that visa every year.

This is how it has worked for me.

You do not get a new visa every year and you are not required to leave the country, or do border runs.

I have not left Thailand for over four years...no problem.

There really aren't any advantages other than not having to exit every 90 days.

I pay the same as a Thai when visiting a park, but that's by showing a driving license. Being married doesn't come into it.

Kind of sucks, but being married in the eyes of Thailand means nothing!

Am I correct in saying that if you hold a multi non-immigrant O visa (married to a Thai), and when that visa has expired, you cannot get a further multi non-O visa from say Laos, you have to apply for an extension?

Incorrect. As long as you qualify the Thai consult in Savannahketh will issue another O-visa based on marriage. There are numerous individuals doing this.

Am I correct in saying that if you hold a multi non-immigrant O visa (married to a Thai), and when that visa has expired, you cannot get a further multi non-O visa from say Laos, you have to apply for an extension?

Not correct.

There are many people that have been getting multiple entry non-o visas for years back to back.

• Like 1