Rotisserie Chicken.... where to find

PETDCAT

O.K. so I familiar with the SP 5 Star places around town and the semi famous one over by Wat Pharsing. I am looking for non chain store chicken in the old city. I know on the road to Doi Saket they have some on the roadside but I am looking for Old City or fairly close. MY Thai partners says there is no word for

Rotisserie in Thai. They only have Gai Yan. She is usually right about stuff like this but I am always skeptical. I had a favorite place that rubbed it down with lemon grass and herbs but alas He stopped and now just sells grilled fish. Any suggestions, except cook my own, would be appreciated.

Thanks

I suppose that you're aware that family owned SP is not a chain, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the ubiquitous 5 Star franchises, right?

If you've actually tried the rotisserie chicken at SP's new(ish) location on the south side of Wat Phra Singh and found it lacking, then.... I guess I can't help you. That's the best by far that I've had in Thailand, so if you find something that you prefer, I hope you'll remember to come back to this thread to let us all know where it is!

I like SP and I like 5 Star, but I know there is another famous place not far from Gecko Garden. However, I've never been able to find it. There is another one on Kumpang Din Road almost at Loi Kroh Road with really good Issan-style BBQ chicken wings , sticky rice and somtam. There is always someone grilling chicken and pork on the street right in front. It is one of my favorite places.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I like SP but their birds seem to be much smaller than 5 star and higher in price. It seems many 5 star places are deep-frying now which is something I try to avoid,although I like their rotisserie. Ulysses maybe the one you are thinking about near Gekkos is a deep fry place that opens at about 10:00 pm till 3:00 or so.

I've seen on one of those signs next to one of those "rotisserie chicken" carts the words "gai dtuu yang." "Gai yang" is normally barbequed chicken although "yang" also can also mean "roasted." I have two dictionaries on my computer that also refer to "rotisserie" as "dtuu yang" which makes sense as the "dtuu" word generically means "cabinet." But, given I believe the word "rotisserie" necessarily implies in English that whatever you're cooking is spinning on a spit or some contraption, there probably isn't a perfect Thai equivalent for the word.

In any event, I've seen many of these rotisserie chicken things (large moveable carts?) around town. I can only pinpoint one in my memory at the moment - it's at Tanin Market - as I've purchased some of that before.

Just for refence, I think 5-star chicken is pretty bad

The best bbq chicken is imo to be found at Warorot market. There's a woman that has been selling it there for at least 10 years, and it's great.

If entering Warorot market from the Chang Moi side, into the right hand soi before the road along the river, just go straight for about a 100m. There will then be a soi on your right hand side with various food stalls on the left side of the soi. This woman is at one of the first stalls and you will usually see the steam rising from her bbq. She only seems to get going around 11 or so, and I guess quits at around 16-17.

Edited by Awk

Tesco is consistently good, both the seasoning and the quality of the chook used but I think you have to buy the whole thing (chopped for you on request). Very nice cold in sandwiches the following day; as long as you have a fridge it isn't a problem.

Around the corner from the Green Palace Hotel, next to DayLi bar, is an open air chicken grilling shop. The smoke drifts out onto the road (fan assisted), the whole sizzling chicken, split in half, is skewered on two chopsticks and rested on the metal screen above the hot embers. Lovely and u can pick your own bird. Chopped up, served with papaya salad and sticky rice...yum. I don't find any added flavors, like herbs or garlic. Just the bar-b-qed bird. Open only for lunch and not on sunday (go to church). Fair price at 150 all in.

Not sure if that is what u want, but it's what i go for when the need for a chicken dinner comes my way.

Around the corner from the Green Palace Hotel, next to DayLi bar, is an open air chicken grilling shop. The smoke drifts out onto the road (fan assisted), the whole sizzling chicken, split in half, is skewered on two chopsticks and rested on the metal screen above the hot embers. Lovely and u can pick your own bird. Chopped up, served with papaya salad and sticky rice...yum. I don't find any added flavors, like herbs or garlic. Just the bar-b-qed bird. Open only for lunch and not on sunday (go to church). Fair price at 150 all in.

Not sure if that is what u want, but it's what i go for when the need for a chicken dinner comes my way.

Yup.....most definitely my favorite barbequed (over coal) chicken & somtam place in town. Name of the place is Wichian Gai Yang, Wichian being from a district area of Phetchabun Province from where the owner hails. For two of us - two servings of one-half chicken, two somtams, one sticky rice, one water, and one cola - the bill totals 240 baht. And both the chicken and somtam are really delicious.

Even though it's not a small place, it sometimes is difficult to find a table if you get there after about 12:20PM or so. Best to get there before noon. Chingmai's directions above are correct although, put another way, the place is on the north side of Soi 11, Nimman, about 150 yards due west of Sirimangkalajarn.

Edit: Since I brunch with friends on Sundays, I didn't know it was closed then; however, its regular day to be closed is Monday.

Edited by CMBob

Yup.....most definitely my favorite barbequed (over coal) chicken & somtam place in town. Name of the place is Wichian Gai Yang, Wichian being from a district area of Phetchabun Province from where the owner hails. For two of us - two servings of one-half chicken, two somtams, one sticky rice, one water, and one cola - the bill totals 240 baht. And both the chicken and somtam are really delicious.

Even though it's not a small place, it sometimes is difficult to find a table if you get there after about 12:20PM or so. Best to get there before noon. Chingmai's directions above are correct although, put another way, the place is on the north side of Soi 11, Nimman, about 150 yards due west of Sirimangkalajarn.

Edit: Since I brunch with friends on Sundays, I didn't know it was closed then; however, its regular day to be closed is Monday.

Great place, been there for 8 years that I know of.

Best rotisserie chicken that I've had in CM is actually out in Mae Ram, which isnt far from Mae Rim. Head to the X Centre but go past it. Its opposite a petrol/service station and on the left. Very moist chicken with a bbq smoke flavour. They also so a mean (GREAT) somtam. Sure its a ways outta town but it's worth the trip.

Great place, been there for 8 years that I know of.

I concur. My favourite kai yang in all of CM by miles. Great Tom Sap, Sup Nor Mai, Larb, som tam too.

I think the little succulent chickens are a breed from Wichian. Maybe the owners are too. There are a few Wichian Kai Yang places around CM but this one is my favourite by far.

Edited by sandmonster

There is no good rotisserie chicken here ala Boston Market here. The chicken sucks. Gai yang is all there is and it ain't much. The fried chicken in the market also sucks. Five star is cheap and small and that why Thai visaites like it. To do chicken dinner with 2 sides and corn bread

And not the size of a pigeon one would have to get 160 baht. Too pricey for this crowd!!

I saw the documentary about the guy that opened a gai yang place in Portland Oregon called Pok Pok, he learned and coppied from some guy in CM to do gai yang in a vertical rotisery style that i have never seen...... anyone know where this chicken is?

I saw the documentary about the guy that opened a gai yang place in Portland Oregon called Pok Pok, he learned and coppied from some guy in CM to do gai yang in a vertical rotisery style that i have never seen...... anyone know where this chicken is?

That would be SP Chicken, as mentioned above. It's currently located on Samlan Rd. Soi 1, behind the south wall of Wat Phra Singh.

Here: https://goo.gl/maps/wjcjr

They're in the shop on the corner that used to house the "P.S. Snooker Club". Open evenings only, as far as I know.

Mr. chow actually knows a lot about food and restaurants, but I don't remember BBQ chicken being any better in USA, than here. BBQ pork ribs are WAY better in America though.

many folks do the backyard BBQ, I would split a whole bird, put in a rack and slow cook over a wood fire adding green fruitwood twigs for smoke flavor.... drinking craft brewed IPA as it dripped and sizeled on the fire....another rack had onion, pepppers, tomato, squash and eggplant grilling..... oh yea.

Add Tuesday to the list of days they are closed. I had an appointment around the corner today and decided to go there for lunch as I hadn't been in a year or so. They were closed.sad.png

Mr. chow actually knows a lot about food and restaurants, but I don't remember BBQ chicken being any better in USA, than here. BBQ pork ribs are WAY better in America though.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but re BBQ pork ribs, Sunnee's (Soi 2 Thapae Road, beside veerachai court) does a special BBQ pork ribs on a Monday, after 1pm.

Quite simply the best I have ever tasted, by some distance.

It is not impossible to make good ribs here. The Escape had pretty good ones 10 or 15 years ago, but they were the best I've ever had in Thailand.

The Soi 1 Bar and Restaurant gave them a try a few months ago and they were nice and tender - which is REALLY important. He is British and not familiar with the real deal, but he is a good cook and his version has real possibilities, if he keeps working on them a little bit. I am a big fan of the Duke's, but not the ribs. To me, they taste like regular pork with BBQ sauce, but they do not fall of the bone, which is what I'm looking for.

I was in Boston last summer and ended up camping outside this place every morning for the Fancy....

if someone in Chiang Mai could do sandwiches like theirs I'd be camped out there too.....

http://www.mikeandpattys.com/

Sadly most of the attempts at farang food in Thailand suck the big one, and I don't think it's just the lack of ingredients.

The best rotisserie chicken I have had I Chiang Mai is a place on the northern end of the moat.

Go to the end of Moon Muang, turn left and about 100 metres down is the chicken shop. It is a few buildings before a large, wide fronted helmet shop.

Pretty sure that would be SP.

They do have a word for rotiesserie chicken. It's ไก่หมุน - gai moon

There's a place that does a pretty good rotiesserie chicken behind the market near the huay kaew rd / canal road intersection. Chickens are black pepper marinated and they're a lot bigger than the SP chickens.

Edited by FaxFlora

The best rotisserie chicken I have had I Chiang Mai is a place on the northern end of the moat.

Go to the end of Moon Muang, turn left and about 100 metres down is the chicken shop. It is a few buildings before a large, wide fronted helmet shop.

It sounds as though you're talking about SP Chicken's original location, where they did business for thirty-six years before relocating to the Wat Phra Singh neighborhood in May of 2013

This place?: https://goo.gl/maps/0zpUu.

re

It sounds as though you're talking about SP Chicken's original location, where they did business for thirty-six years before relocating to the Wat Phra Singh neighborhood in May of 2013

i think landtrouts right :)

heres the old sp chicken shop on 1 may 13 !

dave2

post-42592-0-51545200-1429706758_thumb.j