time to stop self describing as a flaung.... spelled the way they pronounce it

I agree.

But remember, the apologists NEED to believe it's a term of affection.

PS

I refuse to sit with anyone (Thai or foreigner) who uses it.

Until they've had someone call them up on it, and move to another table, they'll carry on.

you won't sit with me? that breaks my heart laugh.png

I would have trouble not mentioning the war.

(Anyway wouldn't you be calling everyone Auslander?)

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Serious for a moment. I too do not like the word, but don't go around remonstrating about it - I guess because over time you become inured to it. If I need to refer to foreigners, I use the word "foreigner". Most Thais (IME, but you should test this yourself) understand that word. And if they don't, I introduce them to it - :). Bottom line - chill, protect your blood pressure and only use the word "foreigner". (It's worked with my colleagues, btw. Although with a couple of them, with whom I have a long and close working relationship, we use "farang" when joking or horsing around - no problem for me.)

• Like 1

I use the following words and phrases: Asian, black, Middle Eastern, Scandinavian, sort of Italian looking, Russian looking, Latin, Indian....a westerner (which is pretty much the exact definition of "farang").

Would you prefer if they called you westerner? Is it bad that they say it in their own language?

Sorry, but maybe they don't know you name or that you are from America.

Also, i will sometimes say gays, Christians, Muslims, Atheists, scientists, nerds.....it helps talking about the topic of discussion. Other wise, it gets pretty difficult talking about something if you don't use the name.

I think you are over sensitive.

I do agree that Thais are pretty racist and discriminatory, by nature. They simply don't see anything wrong in it.

I think racism is bad, but the word farang itself doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

people that use it fully realising that people object to it /find it offensive, personally i put it in the same bracket as calling an afro american a n--g-r , what would you call them? clever? stupid, bit of a <deleted> or just plain ignorant,? me i'de be nice and go the last,

Catorgorising someone by the color of their skin,.as i believe by its definition farang doas, is racist not sensitive or 'thai' just plain racist. and using it ' because they do aint an excuse its just ignorant.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or is 'white' racist too?

Don't know if it is racist but I would be offended if they call me white.

I spend hours under the sun to get brown and also spend a lot of money to buy sun care products and have somebody to call me white?w00t.gif

He/she will definitely be in trouble.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's not a racist term. If you want, you can decide that you think the word means something different, but don't expect the rest of us to stop using it just because you're wrong.

Simply referring to someone's race is not racist, by the way.

We can agree on that for sure.

I wonder when people will stop categorizing each other by race, since scientifically (biologically) there is no such thing.

Edited by Water Buffalo

It's bad enough that the Orientals in Thailand use it.

European descent individuals and all other foreigners in Thailand should not fall into the trap of buying into Thailand's very peculiar racial classifications.

Can't change them but no need to approve by following their lead on that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

couldn't care less if i am being treated well, i find actions much more pejorative than words.

given the multiplicity of spellings the OP attributes to the word i reckon its quite clear his understanding of spoken thai is quite limited.

• Like 1