time to stop self describing as a flaung.... spelled the way they pronounce it

The irony of a farang complaining about the way the Thai media refer to his people on a website where the Thais are routinely belittled and abused is delicious.

Not all of us are "Uncle Tom's"

One of the big problems of racism, is that some people are happy to accept it.

You may class yourself as "not human" and you may be happy for Thais to class you as "not human".

(I might even agree with them in this one case for you)

But I'm not happy to be classed in that was.

Ask yourself, can you be proud to be a Farang or do you need to hang your head in shame?

All those Farang word haters reveal more about themselves than they would voluntary confess...

That doesn't make any sense.

I just don't identify with the word.

I could live in a country where they classify me as an Orangutan ... I wouldn't be proud or ashamed ... just think the natives are silly billies.

Ask yourself, can you be proud to be a Farang or do you need to hang your head in shame?

All those Farang word haters reveal more about themselves than they would voluntary confess...

Flawed argument - I'm sure many Black people in the USA are proud of their history, heritage, roots etc and are proud be to be Black, Afro Caribbean, Nigro, however, there are words which may be deemed sensitive, some highly derogatory... some can be used within closed circles others more openly, some words can only be used with pride by Blacks when referring to Blacks, a white guy using the same word would be chastised...

Thus pride in who we are has nothing to do with the word used to reference us by others.

• Like 1

You want to remove a word from the language because of the potential that it might be used against you?

How very Orwellian.

It's not actually a word in the English language, if you are an English speaker you shouldn't use it when speaking in English.

(Unless you are happy to use pidgin English in everyday life)

Thai speakers using it would be a different topic. This topic is about English speakers.

You want to remove a word from the language because of the potential that it might be used against you?

How very Orwellian.

It's not actually a word in the English language, if you are an English speaker you shouldn't use it when speaking in English.

Thai speakers using it would be a different topic. This topic is about English speakers.

I live in Thailand. Why wouldn't I use Thai words?

• Like 2

'Not human'?

What are you gibbering on about?

You don't speak Thai?

You never listen to Thai speakers?

Very rude to address anyone in Thai without the appropriate human honorific added in front of their name

Khun SoiBiker, Nong SoiBiker, Pee Soibiker all acceptable.

But again this is a topic about English language not pidgin English.

How very Orwellian.

I live in Thailand. Why wouldn't I use Thai words?

You're just a troll, farang is good enough for you.

Soi biker has been presenting reasonable debate...

We can't always agree. Debate allows us to understand those who feel differently.

Instead your 'Troll' call lacks intelligence in an otherwise interesting and polite debate.

Add something of benefit to the topic rather than daft name calling.

• Like 1

I think if people in your family keep referring to you as a farang you have a reason to be peeved cos they're not recognising you as a member of the family but if it's used generally, ie why do farangs like sunbathing? or to point someone out-Who ordered the dish? - ' the farang over there' compared to the other Asian looking customers, then it's simply identification.

Incidentally if we're going to play the PC game, I really think we have to expand on calling Costas 'beige'- how about 'Grecian beige' to allow for both respect as to ancient origins-Afro-Americans' for example, and for clearer identification, ie there are a lot of 'beiges'on TV but few' Grecian beiges'.

But Bannork,my fil hates me, i am the <deleted> falang,he does not stop to to think it is i who keeps him in his very comfortable retirement,but what can you really expect from an uneducated peasant,the rest of the family are fine,but i guess you have to give the old people,their view,he hates me from some racial idea,because i am not Thai,but one only has to look back and see this was rife in our own society,not too long ago,anyway hopefully the man traps with the poison punji stakes,will get him soon[only joking].

It isn't about "all" the ways it is used,

It is that it is used as a tool of separation and is intentionally used in dehumanizing foreigners when they are victim's of crimes or accidents involving Thais and a possible reason why the courts and police will always blame the foreigners in these incidents and extort, rob or otherwise intimidate

Because there is not enough respect

This is about self respect and a tiny answer to a bigger set of problems that many posters on Thai visa just drone on about

This is one small thing that can be done to help the greater society of which you all wish to be a part of, and if you have kids this is an issue for them in school and in life with the thais

• Like 1

You can call yourself what you like.

I'm a farang, and I don't have a problem using the word to describe myself.

To me then you are a farang , when I am speaking Thai. It describes a foreigner who does not speak Thai, does not eat Thai food, does not have Thai friends, lives in Farang ghettos and does not dress like Thais do.

To a Thai you are foreign thus a Farang. I do not like being called a farang because I am not any of the above. Fortunately I am seldom called a farang. When I first came here a long time ago I never heard the word used. It sounds really stupid except when you are conversing in Thai. Do you call your self Orang Puteh (white man) in Malaysia? and so on.

Oh. This is really great!

The good and worthy "farangs" graduate to not being "farangs" as they imagine they become magical faux Orientals, but the bad "farangs" stay as "farangs" -- argued by someone who promotes the term.

Anyway, the OP is really about what foreigners here say about each other, to each other and also to the Orientals, and NOT what the Orientals in Thailand say!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

To me then you are a farang , when I am speaking Thai. It describes a foreigner who does not speak Thai, does not eat Thai food, does not have Thai friends, lives in Farang ghettos and does not dress like Thais do.

To a Thai you are foreign thus a Farang. I do not like being called a farang because I am not any of the above. Fortunately I am seldom called a farang. When I first came here a long time ago I never heard the word used. It sounds really stupid except when you are conversing in Thai. Do you call your self Orang Puteh (white man) in Malaysia? and so on.

That's utterly ridiculous. I speak Thai - badly, admittedly. I eat mostly Thai food. I live in Bangkok, home to several million Thai people, some of whom I am friends with. I haven't noticed them dressing any differently to me - maybe they wear tribal dress around your way?

However, I'm still a farang. Because it doesn't mean any of that, outside of your rather weird interpretation.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"It describes a foreigner who does not speak Thai, does not eat Thai food, does not have Thai friends, lives in Farang ghettos and does not dress like Thais do."

Yeah, in that case, you are Farang-Laos.

And if you are a Thai (mixed race) kid, you are either Farang Noi, or Leuk Krung, depending on whether you look more western or Thai, respectively.

I suspect you are one of these westerners who converse with a Thai using the word farang with an unpleasant tone of voice and often talks about "them" in a disrespectful manner, as though you are not one of them.

I don't know about Malay, but in Indonesian (virtually the same language), they call us bule, and they use it just like the Thais use farang. Also, westerners in Indonesia will refer to themselves as bule, sometimes.

Also, what does it mean to "dress like a Thai"? I would love to see a picture of you in your attire.

Edited by ChrisB87

I always get a perverse pleasure in calling a Thai a Falung when they are in Australia . A lot don't understand the irony , or the humour, but a lot also think about it and have a chuckle .

I always get a perverse pleasure in calling a Thai a Falung when they are in Australia . A lot don't understand the irony , or the humour, but a lot also think about it and have a chuckle .

That doesn't really make sense, though, as it doesn't simply mean 'foreigner'.

That doesn't really make sense, though, as it doesn't simply mean 'foreigner'.

Foreigner in Thai is "Khun t̀āng chāti"..... But I don't ever recall hearing that phrase used by Thai's...

Switching this round a little - What would we call a group of Thai's when in Europe ?... I suspect these Thai's would be referred to as Asians.

Thus: IF in Thailand we White, Western Foreigners are referred to as 'Caucasians' would that feel offensive ? - Some have used the argument that the use of the word Farang as a grouping measure is dehumanising. Using this argument, any word used to group us would be dehumanising.

As much as I don't like its use, I don't see a better alternative than the Word Farang when used by Thai's as an innocent descriptor. However, when used out of place with negative connotations or tone, or when I am already known I would have objections. However, these objections would be true of any word with negative connotation or tone used in its [Farang].

More strongly on Topic: The use of the word 'Farang' by Foreigners when referring to White, Western Foreigners seems daft as they can readily use the word 'Westerner' or 'Foreigner' with intelligent context.

I've asked my Wife about this who says She uses the phrase Khun t̀āng chāti when people ask of her husband [Me]. Much in the similar way, when I am referring to my Wife in Thai I use the word 'P̣hrryā' which is more respectful than 'Mia'....

Thus, I can only conclude that the use of the Word Farang by Thai's who are close to us is lazy and / or disrespectful, there are more polite and respectful alternatives. Continued use of the Word 'Farang' by other Westerners is also lazy and self defeating, when used with other Thai's it perhaps shows a reduced level of self respect.

• Like 1

It occurs to me that too many Westerners are OK with being all lumped together in a one syllable word that sounds like someone is spitting up a lugie

But it's OK to refer to all Thais as if they were all indistinguishable when ranting about something that upset you involving a single individual Thai?

If we were ranting about Asians you would be right.

But Thai doesn't cover all Asian people, whereas farang does cover all white folk.

One of the major problems in this forum is the apologists continually moving the goal posts, and not being called up on it.

I've asked my Wife about this who says She uses the phrase Khun t̀āng chāti when people ask of her husband [Me]. Much in the similar way, when I am referring to my Wife in Thai I use the word 'P̣hrryā' which is more respectful than 'Mia'....

Thus, I can only conclude that the use of the Word Farang by Thai's who are close to us is lazy and / or disrespectful, there are more polite and respectful alternatives. Continued use of the Word 'Farang' by other Westerners is also lazy and self defeating, when used with other Thai's it perhaps shows a reduced level of self respect.

Are you saying your wife doesn't know what country you come from?

When anyone asks my wife about me, she says English.

That's utterly ridiculous. I speak Thai - badly, admittedly. I eat mostly Thai food. I live in Bangkok, home to several million Thai people, some of whom I am friends with. I haven't noticed them dressing any differently to me - maybe they wear tribal dress around your way?

However, I'm still a farang. Because it doesn't mean any of that, outside of your rather weird interpretation.

Strangely enough i agree with Soi biker here,is gamini ,one of these westerners that think they are more Thai than the thai's,they may not call him Falang to his face but they sure would if he was not around,frankly to me people like this are delusional,and an embarrasment,Gamini is a falang and always will be no matter how hard he tries to be Thai.

I v' much suspect the arguments put forward by the people in favor of it's use, IRRESPECTIVE of its historical context, would be essentially the same put forward by people who used and justified the use of the word n--ger in the 1900's;