time to stop self describing as a flaung.... spelled the way they pronounce it

Their country, their ways. Don't like it you have a country you can go back to where you can engage all you want in this silliness.

Perhaps but speech between two non Orientals as mentioned in the OP its silly to use the f word in question.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I v' much suspect the arguments put forward by the people in favor of it's use, IRRESPECTIVE of its historical context, would be essentially the same put forward by people who used and justified the use of the word n--ger in the 1900's;

More like colored. Its not as strong as the big bad n.

Their country, their ways. Don't like it you have a country you can go back to where you can engage all you want in this silliness.

Mate ,come on,you forget the classic "pack yer bags" and "don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out",from the get out of here now brigade,member are you by any chance?

• Like 1

I v' much suspect the arguments put forward by the people in favor of it's use, IRRESPECTIVE of its historical context, would be essentially the same put forward by people who used and justified the use of the word n--ger in the 1900's;

More like colored. Its not as strong as the big bad n.

Note the word 'essential'

Switching this round a little - What would we call a group of Thai's when in Europe ?... I suspect these Thai's would be referred to as Asians.

Thus: IF in Thailand we White, Western Foreigners are referred to as 'Caucasians' would that feel offensive ? - Some have used the argument that the use of the word Farang as a grouping measure is dehumanising. Using this argument, any word used to group us would be dehumanising.

As much as I don't like its use, I don't see a better alternative than the Word Farang when used by Thai's as an innocent descriptor. However, when used out of place with negative connotations or tone, or when I am already known I would have objections. However, these objections would be true of any word with negative connotation or tone used in its [Farang].

More strongly on Topic: The use of the word 'Farang' by Foreigners when referring to White, Western Foreigners seems daft as they can readily use the word 'Westerner' or 'Foreigner' with intelligent context.

I've asked my Wife about this who says She uses the phrase Khun t̀āng chāti when people ask of her husband [Me]. Much in the similar way, when I am referring to my Wife in Thai I use the word 'P̣hrryā' which is more respectful than 'Mia'....

Thus, I can only conclude that the use of the Word Farang by Thai's who are close to us is lazy and / or disrespectful, there are more polite and respectful alternatives. Continued use of the Word 'Farang' by other Westerners is also lazy and self defeating, when used with other Thai's it perhaps shows a reduced level of self respect.

For me, it comes down to pure laziness. I use language as a tool and not as a statement. All these PC words have multiple syllables, they interrupt the flow of thought and speech, for example:

A-sian, non pc: chínk

Af-ro-A-mer-i-can, non pc: black

Cau-ca-sian, non pc: whi-tey

As a consequence, I use fa-rang instead of cau-ca-sian/ west-ern-for-eign-er, it's not even offensive, like my first 3 examples.

And my wife is mia, not panraya.

Keep it simple, dont think too much...

Edited by Chonburiram

I cant understand why people get bent out of shape over the F word.

Its simply the Thai word for white foreigner. Get over yourselves. If a Thai went to a western country what would you call them..probably something a lot worse.

Anyway nothin wrong with being a white. If i had a cream that what turn Asians white i would be a mutherfn millionaire farang and then i could give a fig (or guava) what they call me.

Personally i am more offended with the idiot farangs who use nonsensical tinglish. Come to Thailand and suddenly your speaking baby jibberish...have no proplem same same you speak i no like bah.gifrolleyes.gif

Again, read the OP.

That's interesting.

That's different.

It's about SELF describing!

It's not about what the Orientals might say.

All the Orientals in Thailand might call me a flaung but in my head, I am no such item.

That's THEIR trip.

Those Orientals.

You are NOT required to INTERNALIZE the weird RACIAL classifications of the local Orientals.

Sorted?

No I am not bothered if the Orientals call me a flaung.

But if other NON-Orientals do, I think they're pretty moronic.

Why do you do it?

Were you brainwashed at BKK by the Orientals?

Edited by Jingthing

Why shouldn't we do it?

To retain some self respect in my opinion.

If you're not a local Oriental why are you internalizing a FOREIGN racial classification system to describe yourself to others who are not local Orientals?

It's daft.

Do you think the local Orientals go to America and call each other Orientals?

Think About It.

Edited by Jingthing

I've enough self-respect to not get all worried about what harmless word people use to describe where I'm from.

What about yourself? I assume you are calling YOURSELF a flaung to others who you now also label flaungs? WHY?!?

Do you think because you live in Thailand you are now a local Oriental?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I've enough self-respect to not get all worried about what harmless word people use to describe where I'm from.

What about yourself? I assume you are calling YOURSELF a flaung to others who you now also label flaungs? WHY?!?

Because it's a handy word to use to describe my status.

Why shouldn't we do it?

To retain some self respect in my opinion.

If you're not a local Oriental why are you internalizing a FOREIGN racial classification system to describe yourself to others who are not local Orientals?

It's daft.

Do you think the local Orientals go to America and call each other Orientals?

Think About It.

You're weird.

That's rather an interesting response.

It's rather local Oriental-ness to accept the social hierarchy ... Oriental-land here is not very evolved from the FEUDAL system.

So it seems that living here you ARE buying into that.

Now I understand playing along (humoring them, wink wink nod nod, what me a FLAUNG?) with the local Orientals in their social delusions (not to make waves, waves are very bad here among the local Orientals); but it seems to me many have taken this way too far with INTERNALIZING the Oriental-ness and have perhaps gone too TROPO.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Absolutely.

It's really quite a handy term.

Be loud. Be proud. Many would love to be a farang. We are.

Yayyyyy.

It's rather local Oriental-ness to accept the social hierarchy ... Oriental-land here is not very evolved from the FEUDAL system.

Now I understand playing along with the local Orientals in their social delusions but it seems to me many have taken this way too far with INTERNALIZING and have perhaps gone too TROPO.

How DARE we be not be upset.

It's a disgrace.

It really is.

• Like 2

Now I understand playing along with the local Orientals in their social delusions but it seems to me many have taken this way too far with INTERNALIZING and have perhaps gone too TROPO.

You're reading way too much into this. It's simply a word that means foreigner of european ancestry. Which is exactly what I am. Nothing whatsoever to do with that nonsensical crap you're coming out with.

No. It's a local Oriental racial classification system and it does NOT represent any kind of truth. The local Oriental world view is so incredibly limited ... foreigners should know better than to buy into such ignorance.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

No. It's a local Oriental racial classification system and it does NOT represent any kind of truth. The local Oriental world view is so incredibly limited ... foreigners should know better than to buy into such ignorance.

Calm down, Dorothy.

Why are calling me Dorothy?

Calm down, Dorothy.

Why are calling me Dorothy?

It's pasa farang for Old farang complainer.

It rolls off the tongue easier.