Do You Live In A Thai Village Full Time

macb

Well as you guys no my wife is about to have our baby:

She has been and told me a story about a lass in the village who was also pregnant>

She went into Huairat Hospital to have her baby, because this is the 30 bht hospital they left her in labour for two days, she was unable to have the baby naturally and they could not perform

ceasarian there so they then sent her two Burriram who carried it out.

She is okay now but leaving her in labour for 2 days. What an eye opener.

sorry, cant seem to PM ?? cant find the button so:

there is a lot of leeway for giving birth and due date; mothers dont always know exactly when they last menstruated so they guess and the doctor works it out by a little card schedule like we use for goats-- bred on this day, due on that day , type thing; then, the doc goes by size and developmental age (fetus is 2 months old but only month and half developmentally); the closer u come to the due date, the harder it is for the doc to pinpoint the birth due date and growth slows down... weight and developmental age are usually the deciding factors...

also, fetal heart rate, head position and growth; for instance, my last child, her head was smaller then usual and she stopped developing, two weeks before the due day; we ahd decided on a c section and that night i went in to labour (involving fetal stress etc), alls well that ends well, but the docs at the very good hospital (israel wiht its high birth rate have very good maternity/obs. wards) didnt respond appropriately at first when i arrived (rusty colour waters, etc) so I STOOD ON MY RIGHTS AND CAME ARMED WITH KNOWLEGE (AND AN OBSTINATE , NOW EX, HUSBAND). she was also born 2.6 kilo and now she is a big healthy active child .

YOU MUST BE INFORMED YOURSELF. DONT RELY ON A DOCTOR. use the net find out early warning signs, etc and be prepared. i was and i saved my daughter's life; if i had waited she would ahve died before birth.

point being it could happen anywhere, any country, the more knowlege u have, the better prepared u will be for emergencies/out of control situation. a doctor is only a person who studied a bit more then u.

(just delivered my first stuck goat kid yesterday afternoon. did it using an internet tutorial!!!! that i had printed out for just this purpose. although i had never had a stuck kid before, i had read a lot about it and had all the equipment ready just in case. and it worked!!! so birthing is very much on my mind lately. )

good luck, be prepared, dont worry too much, trust your wifes' instincts. if she feels something isnt right, then check it out.

bina

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got so behind with reading some of these threads;

Well there seems to be this tradition about shaving the babies head for the first month I was told then its changed to first year.

Well I have told the wife what I think, but however to meet the tradition halfway I said if you must then she can have head shaved once but no more.

I asked why do they shave heads, the answer seems to be babies dont need hair at that age mmmmmmmm. My reply was load of b......s . I can understand in a normal Thia home where they are not to fussy in the village about cleanliness and the kids get nits etc in there hair.

nits come to your hair regardless macb; ask some other board members.... as my three kids can vouch also. thats why primary schools ask to keep girls hair short over the ears also or as here, always in a braid or tied back. not that that really helps, some kids just get lice more easily then others. no connection to cleanliness macb. i spend 30 minutes a day de licing my 13 yr old since she was about 1 yrs old. very very thick long blond hair. and she's a clean freak.

i'll tell u something, i noticed that some babies shed their hair at a certain age, or lose it more... maybe thats why? to prevent hairs from lying around so they can be used for 'darker' purposes? (im not joking some cultures do that stuff and believe etc). also, some babies get this scaly skin thing on their heads like excema, and some get very sweaty with so much hair (my daughter was in the very hairy fuzzy baby category), so maybe thats the reason why they used to do it and it just became ritualized?

bina

just speculating, now going ot research it.

some arab and morroccan jewish people i know shave their girls heads as babies as they say it makes the hair grow in thicker and stronger...

nits come to your hair regardless macb; ask some other board members.... as my three kids can vouch also. thats why primary schools ask to keep girls hair short over the ears also or as here, always in a braid or tied back. not that that really helps, some kids just get lice more easily then others. no connection to cleanliness macb. i spend 30 minutes a day de licing my 13 yr old since she was about 1 yrs old. very very thick long blond hair. and she's a clean freak.

i'll tell u something, i noticed that some babies shed their hair at a certain age, or lose it more... maybe thats why? to prevent hairs from lying around so they can be used for 'darker' purposes? (im not joking some cultures do that stuff and believe etc). also, some babies get this scaly skin thing on their heads like excema, and some get very sweaty with so much hair (my daughter was in the very hairy fuzzy baby category), so maybe thats the reason why they used to do it and it just became ritualized?

bina

just speculating, now going ot research it.

some arab and morroccan jewish people i know shave their girls heads as babies as they say it makes the hair grow in thicker and stronger...

Bina read my Topic on Kmher beliefs I certainly have that to deal with as well in the village.

As for shaven head my baby looks like a Falang ie white as you can see, she is going to look stupid with no hair. I have to make my wifes mother understand that this is not a 100% Thai baby its mine as well if I dont let them know my likes and dislikes they will take over I know.

Do you live in Thai village full time, what does a typical day hold for you.

What time does you day start, what time do you sleep, what does your wife do in a typical day.

macb

PLEASE READ MY BLOGG ABOAT ISAN AND SUNG SANG TODAY

JANNE

Hi all

It's about time you painted the outside Thai kitchen says the boss lady, the natural concrete look is beginning to look tatty not too mention the cheap Charlie image!

A nice cream or magnolia should do the job she says.

Now I am not that keen on painting so I am desperately trying to think of a way out of this predicament, but must admit it could do with a lick of paint. :D Time to put on my thinking cap.

In a flash of genius I know, lets convert it into a Khmer Temple after my recent visit to Angkor Wat I have a wealth of knowledge about decrepit buildings, however, when it comes to being artistic I am sorely challenged :o

This calls for a visit to Mr Mitt our local restaurateur who also happens to be a dab hand with the emulsion brush! He can see this as away to get out of the kitchen for a day or two and jumps at the opportunity although I can see he is somewhat sceptical of my brilliant idea.

Well 2 days later and it is looking just like the real thing (well a Hollywood film set version anyway) So much so that I am thinking of opening it to tourists, farangs 20 baht, Thais 100 baht, I'll get my own back for this double pricing lark :D The fact that it is really a kitchen will be quiet handy for flogging somtam to the punters!!!

So coach parties by appointment only please.....what do you think?

God I love Thailand

TBWG :D

post-24662-1170752458_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all

It's about time you painted the outside Thai kitchen says the boss lady, the natural concrete look is beginning to look tatty not too mention the cheap Charlie image!

Now I am not that keen on painting so I am desperately trying to think of a way out of this predicament, but must admit it could do with a lick of paint. :D Time to put on my thinking cap.

In a flash of genius I know, lets convert it into a Khmer Temple after my recent visit to Angkor Wat I have a wealth of knowledge about decrepit buildings, however, when it comes to being artistic I am sorely challenged :o

This calls for a visit to Mr Mitt our local restaurateur who also happens to be a dab hand with the emulsion brush! He can see this as away to get out of the kitchen for a day or two and jumps at the opportunity although I can see he is somewhat sceptical of my brilliant idea.

Well 2 days later and it is looking just like the real thing (well a Hollywood film set version anyway) So much so that I am thinking of opening it to tourists, farangs 20 baht, Thais 100 baht, I'll get my own back for this double pricing lark :D The fact that it is really a kitchen will be quiet handy for flogging somtam to the punters!!!

God I love Thailand

Wonderful going to call you Alice now :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well whats going on in our village now the rice season has finished:

Well folks are having Fill delivered to raise there land for one reason or another and also for building new houses.

Some bores have been emptied and the fish taken out before someone else takes them.

General repairs to houses, some fiields levelled and ploughed already.

I think our last rain was in November, the next rains wont be until May June, then its rice sowing time again.

Well yesterday I was awoken about 5-30 am with a load banging: It near my time to get up anyway and banging is not unusual sometimes as folks start doing there projects early:

Whether it be building a new house or knocking one down, now that leads me to my bit of village News.

The banging I heard was a local guy knocking the walls out of his house (The walls being made of corrugated iron.

I asked the wife what he was doing. She informed me that he weants to leave his wife and live with his Mum, the house was supplied by his Mum (who keeps bailing out of his financial predicaments). He wants to take the house with him !!!!!!!

But then the banging stopped and not seen him since, so wait and see his wife is still about waiting and the walls are still missing

---------------------------------------------------------

The other goings on is we have a school in Huairat (Senior School) and men from the villages are taking it in turn to do Security at night in case of Arson, as it has been seen on the News about schools being burnt down.

Well is the start of a New soap opera mmmmmmmmmm

Edited by macb

Just a warning about Tockay. I am always interested in the wildlife and after spotting a great looking lizard, I told my wife. She looked horrified and warned me that they can grab you by the throat and not let go until lightening strikes. Dont say that i didnt warn you :o

Just a warning about Tockay. I am always interested in the wildlife and after spotting a great looking lizard, I told my wife. She looked horrified and warned me that they can grab you by the throat and not let go until lightening strikes. Dont say that i didnt warn you :D

Thanks for the warning andylee

Your concern is appreciated. :D Bearing in mind the lack of rain i'll just have to convince everyone it's a new fashion in neckties until the next thunderstorm. :o

Just a warning about Tockay. I am always interested in the wildlife and after spotting a great looking lizard, I told my wife. She looked horrified and warned me that they can grab you by the throat and not let go until lightening strikes. Dont say that i didnt warn you :D

Thanks for the warning andylee

Your concern is appreciated. :D Bearing in mind the lack of rain i'll just have to convince everyone it's a new fashion in neckties until the next thunderstorm. :o

Aren't old wives tales wonderful....... I also heard that it takes three men to pull them off mmmmmmmmmm okay. They stick to things because they have tiny suction pads on the bottom of there feet or Velcro one or the other

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

The Honda Phantom is due for its first service. Now in the UK when I put the car in for a service I always give it a thorough going over so that it is gleaming like new. The theory being that if they think it is well looked after then they will take more care.

Whether or not it works I don't know but it makes me happy!! rolleyes.gif

So this calls for a visit to the cleaners and an investment of 50 baht to get the Honda sparkling like new (if only it were so cheap in the UK!!!)

Now the boss lady seeing what time it is 11.30ish decides to invite herself along to supervise. I should of realised that she was not in the least interested in seeing a bike cleaned but more interested in getting out of cooking lunch.

Anyway, after ordering everyone about at the cleaners and putting the fear of Buddha into all the employees lest any bit remain unpolished, she announces that a restaurant is conveniently situated next door and we can have a bite to eat whilst the minions are polishing the chrome! whistling.gif

So far so good.. I tuck into a Pad Thai and a bottle of Leo whilst the boss lady visits every table to talk to some relative or other ( she seems to be related to everybody in Satuk!!!) Hunger eventually gets the better of her and she settles down to eat what looks like a pink jellyfish negotiating an ice pack!!

However, things are looking up it's lunchtime at the local girls school and a gaggle of attractive teenage girls have arrived for lunch.I decide to just sit there and look cool!

Next thing I know i'm flat on my back in a pool of blood looking at the ceiling!!! Those bloody plastic chairs! the rear legs had decided to part company with the rest of the chair and deposit me on the floor, all the attractive teenage schoolgirls are now looking pityingly at the stupid farang who has been ceremoniously deposited on his arse in the middle of the restaurant. Oh dear! not the impression I had hoped to make!!

Pool of blood is a bit of an exaggeration but I have been left with a nasty gash on the elbow and nobody seems in the least concerned. Lucky us men just take these setbacks in our stride. Being serious for a minute I was very lucky as I came extremely close to going bum first through the glass sliding door. Now that would have been a problem!! whistling.gif

But as True Brit I just gritted my teeth and said it didn't hurt, paid the bill (no charge for the chair) and collected a sparkling honda, went home and wallowed in self pity.

God I love Thailand

TBWG wai.gif

PS ... Watch those plastic seats have since heard lots of horror stories and by no stretch of the imagination am I overweight.

Hi all

God I love Thailand

Fantastic !! .......I'll have two orders of the som tam, kao niow, nam prik mangda and a piece of grilled chicken please :D

Hi All

The Honda Phantom is due for its first service. Now in the UK when I put the car in for a service I always give it a thorough going over so that it is gleaming like new. The theory being that if they think it is well looked after then they will take more care.

Whether or not it works I don't know but it makes me happy!! rolleyes.gif

So this calls for a visit to the cleaners and an investment of 50 baht to get the Honda sparkling like new (if only it were so cheap in the UK!!!)

Now the boss lady seeing what time it is 11.30ish decides to invite herself along to supervise. I should of realised that she was not in the least interested in seeing a bike cleaned but more interested in getting out of cooking lunch.

Anyway, after ordering everyone about at the cleaners and putting the fear of Buddha into all the employees lest any bit remain unpolished, she announces that a restaurant is conveniently situated next door and we can have a bite to eat whilst the minions are polishing the chrome! whistling.gif

So far so good.. I tuck into a Pad Thai and a bottle of Leo whilst the boss lady visits every table to talk to some relative or other ( she seems to be related to everybody in Satuk!!!) Hunger eventually gets the better of her and she settles down to eat what looks like a pink jellyfish negotiating an ice pack!!

However, things are looking up it's lunchtime at the local girls school and a gaggle of attractive teenage girls have arrived for lunch.I decide to just sit there and look cool!

Next thing I know i'm flat on my back in a pool of blood looking at the ceiling!!! Those bloody plastic chairs! the rear legs had decided to part company with the rest of the chair and deposit me on the floor, all the attractive teenage schoolgirls are now looking pityingly at the stupid farang who has been ceremoniously deposited on his arse in the middle of the restaurant. Oh dear! not the impression I had hoped to make!!

Pool of blood is a bit of an exaggeration but I have been left with a nasty gash on the elbow and nobody seems in the least concerned. Lucky us men just take these setbacks in our stride. Being serious for a minute I was very lucky as I came extremely close to going bum first through the glass sliding door. Now that would have been a problem!! whistling.gif

But as True Brit I just gritted my teeth and said it didn't hurt, paid the bill (no charge for the chair) and collected a sparkling honda, went home and wallowed in self pity.

God I love Thailand

TBWG wai.gif

PS ... Watch those plastic seats have since heard lots of horror stories and by no stretch of the imagination am I overweight.

Well yes TBWG has qualified for the True Brit Award, as I saw him next day at Raybans abode, well if I travelled 75 clicks to see Ray and TBWG then I dont know how many clicks TBWG covered the very next day after his plastic Surgery (Theres a pun there somewhere).

'Phantom of the Boonies' this guy is now: Elbow bandaged but shrugging it off, and yes I can confirm not overweight.

Nice to see you again and Rayban, your welcome my place anytime as you know.

I am glad to hear that Toby the takay is alive and doing well. But since TBWG is something like a couple of hundred kilometres from here, how did Toby travel so far in three months?

Our house seems to be a populer stopover point for these little travellers.

We have had Lucky (Luk-Khee, Luk-Khee), Hitler (It-Ler, It-Ler), Toby (Tow-Bee, Tow-Bee), and Martin (Mar-Tin, Mar-tin), to name just four among many.

Actually, Mar-tin came twice, and was so convincing that each time I thought it was She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and answered. Felt like a right prat when all was revealed!

I am glad to hear that Toby the takay is alive and doing well. But since TBWG is something like a couple of hundred kilometres from here, how did Toby travel so far in three months?

Our house seems to be a populer stopover point for these little travellers.

We have had Lucky (Luk-Khee, Luk-Khee), Hitler (It-Ler, It-Ler), Toby (Tow-Bee, Tow-Bee), and Martin (Mar-Tin, Mar-tin), to name just four among many.

Actually, Mar-tin came twice, and was so convincing that each time I thought it was She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and answered. Felt like a right prat when all was revealed!

Hi Martin

Would appear Toby is quite the traveller, next time I see him I'll have to check his visa!!! :o

Judging by the amount of racket he is making at the moment I think he is feeling rather amorous :D

Just seen this in the Issan drought posting!

TOPTUAN is absolutely correct: chameleons are hunted routinely, regardless of the weather conditions. So is the tookay.

So Toby ought to pipe down unless he wants a bamboo stick up his nether regions and a close encounter with the BBQ!!!

Edited by TBWG

Well mac, Thadd and others, this thread has had me engrossed for the last 2 hours.

Having met both of you, one in blackpool, one in Palace de Huirat and Phetchabun :D

I think as others have commented that this is a great read, having had a few beers right now.....Maybe I will post some of my experiences another day.

:o

Cheers from South Yorkshire :D

Things must be getting bad around these parts as the news of another suicide came in....

a cow or rather calf strangled itself overnite :D whilst tethered to a tree.

Sadly the person in charge got drunk, passed out and forgot all about his herd.

Still the silver lining is I am having a very tender Beef Massaman with pineapple, potato and peanuts

tonite for dinner. :o

Speaking of going in the Fill in my sister-in-laws village some guy went frogging at night, but died whilst looking for frogs they found his body next day (With both his eyes missing) Now that has started another Isan belief.

Well one-eyed john I will get the Barbie going you bring the Steaks round :o

Well mac, Thadd and others, this thread has had me engrossed for the last 2 hours.

Having met both of you, one in blackpool, one in Palace de Huirat and Phetchabun :D

I think as others have commented that this is a great read, having had a few beers right now.....Maybe I will post some of my experiences another day.

Blackpool ..... wow...... must have been the TUK Christmas bash about four years ago!!!

C'mon..... give us a clue? :D

Blackpool ..... wow...... must have been the TUK Christmas bash about four years ago!!!

C'mon..... give us a clue? :D

Well..... Gonna start building my own pad in Phetchabun soon, got a truck there already, Infact I went to macs house in the Truck, along with his best mate from Skegness.

Oh and I have a missus named Mot, :D

Well I knew who Monkeypants was but dint want to spoil the who is this tease hahaha:

Look forward to seeing you and mott next month mate, will be doing a BBQ.

Will send you an email mate