Soi Dog regrets Wat Suan Kaew's refusal to renew MoU

webfact

Soi Dog regrets Wat Suan Kaew's refusal to renew MoU
The Nation

30258506-01_big.jpg
New dog shelter after Soi Dog stepped in to help Wat Suan Kaew.

BANGKOK: -- Soi Dog Foundation, Thailand's leading animal welfare charity, has expressed regret that Wat Suan Kaew has refused to renew a memorandum of understanding with the foundation, prompting its on-going works to help dogs and cats at the temple to be terminated.

Martin Turner, Soi Dog's marketing manager, said the temple did not give any reason for declining to sign a new MoU when the previous agreement expired in March.

John Dalley, co-founder and vice president of Soi Dog, said in a press statement that Soi Doi has spent Bt3.4 million to carry out renovation work to improve the living conditions of the cats and dogs at temple.

"As a result of Soi Dog's work, the conditions at the shelter today are far better than they were one year ago. While hundreds of cats and dogs formerly lived in small cages, none now live in such conditions. Cats have been separated from dogs, and now live in large purpose-built cat houses. Furthermore, moving dogs into their new runs has substantially decreased the number of animals who live in the large open area in the middle of the shelter, which has reduced dog fights and the spread of disease," the statement said.

"However, major improvements still need to be made, and the shelter remains highly under-staffed, with just two people looking after more than 1,000 animals. Wat Suan Kaew terminated its agreement with Soi Dog for continued works at the facility in March. Soi Dog remains open to renewing the memorandum of understanding, and is hopeful that in the future an agreement can be reached for works to continue so as to further improve the conditions at the shelter, and further enhance the quality of life of the animals housed there."

The animal shelter at Wat Suan Kaew was built in 2003 in response to a government plan to cull street dogs and cats in advance of the Asia-Pacific Cooperation summit in Bangkok that year. The government was persuaded to allow the temple to house the street dogs and cats at the Wat Suan Kaew shelter. Unfortunately what followed was the systematic dumping of pet dogs and cats by owners who no longer wanted them. Very soon, a shelter designed for 400 animals was housing more than 1,000 dogs and 500 cats. Living conditions deteriorated, and the condition of the actual buildings deteriorated as well, exacerbated by damage caused during the 2011 Bangkok floods.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Soi-Dog-regrets-Wat-Suan-Kaews-refusal-to-renew-Mo-30258506.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-22

• Like 1

Does that mean all money spend on the shelter in the temple is now lost, because they cant work there anymore. Would be stupid of the Soi Dog foundation not to see something like that coming. Acquiring some own land and shelter would have been better now they (if my assumption is correct) squandered money of the people who donated money.

• Like 2

well well well , special interpretation of the boudhism here . anyway , where is the problem with those millions dogs in the streets everywhere in thailand ? oh , they like dogs to much but are not ready to spend some bath to take care them , never clean never give taperate and for sure not pay for sterilisation . beter to let them <deleted> everywhere and give born to pupies 2 times a year , so funny pupies dog no ?? about the kennel , i go take a look , it's crazy , dogs are so dirty , have sick skin , not to much room to sleep , and thousand stay together . and stay so much outside of the kennel . hold them in a kennel just for that , beter to kill them . and first sterilise the femelle everywhere in thailand please .

they bit when you drive motorbike , they stole in the garbages and put shit everywhere on the roads , most of them sick are full of pest . it's crazy . to much dogs is to much .

• Like 2

Yet another piece of one sided "journalism". I would have thought that even a trainee hack would seek a quote or opinion from the "other side" or insert "the temple when contacted had no comment..." or a quote.

For all we know the temple may have bona fide issues with the terms of the MOU.

• Like 2

I am sure the Soi Dog foundation does excellent work under difficult circumstances. Spaying and

neutering dogs and cats should be promoted by the government. Not a charity I personally support

but I know many do. I am sure they will continue to do good work despite not having an MOU.

The only way to even start to get on top of the dog problem is mass culling, spaying is too expensive and impractical on hundreds of thousands of dogs, killing is the answer. Before anyone gets the hankies out hundreds of thousands of animals are killed for meat, they don't even shit in your street, bark, are a traffic hazzard or spread disease. Spaying a dog then letting it loose again is just tinkering with the problem, not a solution.

The only way to even start to get on top of the dog problem is mass culling, spaying is too expensive and impractical on hundreds of thousands of dogs, killing is the answer. Before anyone gets the hankies out hundreds of thousands of animals are killed for meat, they don't even shit in your street, bark, are a traffic hazzard or spread disease. Spaying a dog then letting it loose again is just tinkering with the problem, not a solution.

And yes the hundred of thousands of animals that are killed for food in our day & age is what is even more sickening in the way they are kept and killed. USA id about to cull over 5 million chickens because of yet another Bird Flu Epidemic.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/21/iowa-bird-flu-outbreak/26113911/

And I am sure that the conditions in this wonderful place are glorious and give us the best of the best eggs and chickens to eat... Pfff!

Because of avian influenza, the state's $2 billion commercial egg-laying industry has been on high alert this spring. Iowa, the nation's largest egg producer, has about 50 million hens and supplies nearly 1 in every 5 eggs consumed in the United States.

Can you picture the above ??? And what you are eating everyday ? And you are concerned about Soi Dogs ...

So no! they don't shit in our streets, bark, are a traffic hazzard or spread disease....

Don't spread disease huh?? Guess you kinda live in the dark.... I have never contacted any disease from any of the very many dogs I have saved but from eggs, chickens, beef , pork etc from these humongous disgusting farms I have had many malaises / food poisoning / stomach issues ... Oye! Anyway ....

it's the soi dogs that need terminating not the understanding

Yet another great human on our planet.... and part of the ones who need to be terminated .... sick.gif

I am against animal cruelty and have not eaten meat or fish for over 40 years. However, I am not a sentimentalist, where there is a problem ie rats, snakes and cockroaches they need to be killed. Soi dogs are no better than vermin and a very few being spayed is unfortunately not the answer at all.

Agreed - rabies is a big problem here too.

• Like 2

it's the soi dogs that need terminating not the understanding

Yet another great human on our planet.... and part of the ones who need to be terminated .... sick.gif

... and part of the ones who need to be terminated

And your statement makes you different from dragonfly94, how? Only difference is you want to terminate humans. You suck.

• Like 1

Good, abandon the project all together and start taking care of humans. When all children are fed and dressed and healthy you can move on to grown men and women and after that, if you have money and resources and energy left, by all means start pampering flea ridden vermin.

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 2