Best condo building(s) for quality of life in Jomtien?

funlovinkid

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used a gray waffled panel product sold by HomeWorks and then covered it with drywall. Can't remember the product name.

Thanks...I have lived in many condos new and old including VT2 and had too replace the front doors to cut down the noise from the corridor

and have always been able to hear the neighbours even when they aren't being particularly noisy. In Anget condo I could hear the next door neighbours in the bathroom, not pleasant

Yes, the condo entrance doors at VT3 and VT5 are not good and they let in a lot of hall noise. I remember one entrance door I had was so bad I could see daylight through the cracks in the door molding! After probably a lot of complaints the VT company used a much better type door at VT7.

Yes, the condo entrance doors at VT3 and VT5 are not good and they let in a lot of hall noise. I remember one entrance door I had was so bad I could see daylight through the cracks in the door molding! After probably a lot of complaints the VT company used a much better type door at VT7.

So true. I know people who insulated their doors from the inside.

3) Check the title deeds! Been a mess at some of the condos

I appreciate your advice above, but can you please explain what you mean by "check the title deeds"? I don't understand why I would be doing that, how to do it, or what I would be looking for! Thanks for any feedback on this.

He's probably referring to the farang/Thai ratio.

Deeds (chanotes) are maintained by the Land Office so any irregularities in them are down to them. But the ratio certification is (bizarrely) down to the JPM and we all know how competent and honest they can be. Some buildings have recently had difficulties relating to incorrect ratio declarations.

"Quality of life" ...I belive if a condo is not energy efficient it is not comforttable :)

View Talay buildings have about 2m balcony making the rooms more energy efficient and comfortable. Direct sunlight does not come into the rooms untill about 4pm even the units face West in VT5C and D.

I have seen some new buidings with large windows in the bedroom with no balcony, Living room area may have a small balcony barely large enough to fit an A/C...must be hot in the afternoon if it is facing west.

I suggest you don't put all VTx condos in the same category. View Talay Residence 1-4 has much better quality than VTV 1-2 from what I've seen. It's important to check:

1) Building quality

2) Who is the juristic person, is it the real owners? VTR 1-2 have that, not sure about 3-4.

4) Who are your neighbors? From what I've seen it's a very different scene at VTV1-2 vs VTR 1-2.

Note: I don't own or have any economical interest in any condo anymore.

I appreciate your advice above, but can you please explain what you mean by "check the title deeds"? I don't understand why I would be doing that, how to do it, or what I would be looking for! biggrin.png Thanks for any feedback on this.

The title deed is called chonoot (spelling?), it's a large yellowish paper giving the address and measurements. The backside shows the owner history and any loans. For some condos the owner never got them, the developer hadn't paid the bank loan. Better use a lawyer.

I suggest you don't put all VTx condos in the same category. View Talay Residence 1-4 has much better quality than VTV 1-2 from what I've seen. It's important to check:

1) Building quality

2) Who is the juristic person, is it the real owners? VTR 1-2 have that, not sure about 3-4.

4) Who are your neighbors? From what I've seen it's a very different scene at VTV1-2 vs VTR 1-2.

I appreciate your advice above, but can you please explain what you mean by "check the title deeds"? I don't understand why I would be doing that, how to do it, or what I would be looking for! biggrin.png Thanks for any feedback on this.

The title deed is called chonoot (spelling?), it's a large yellowish paper giving the address and measurements. The backside shows the owner history and any loans. For some condos the owner never got them, the developer hadn't paid the bank loan. Better use a lawyer.

Thanks for that - the information is helpful, but I still don't understand. It sounds like you're making a suggestion for what to do if I'm interested in buying a condo, not renting. Am I correct?

Also, your original message suggests to "check the title deeds" (plural). Does this mean to ask the juristic for copies of all the titles in the building, or just the one for the condo in which I happen to be interested? I still don't understand what I'm looking for!

I happened to be riding my bicycle past View Talay Residence 5 last night (on Pratumnak Soi 6, I believe), and it looked almost entirely abandoned. So I was curious, and rode around the building - there didn't appear to be any security people present. There were 2-3 rooms with lights on, and maybe a total of 4 cars in the parking area. The building looks to be in good shape, and the same quality as the other VTR's.

No one has mentioned anything about VTR5 in this entire thread. What's the story with this one? Legal problems?

I've often wondered about View Talay Residence 5 on Pratamnak soi 6, too. I used to live at VT3 and would drive by it and it seems like it has sat mostly empty for years now. I think I counted only a few balconies with AC units.

I am well aware that there are larger studios and 1 bedrooms available at the View Talays--the front and back corner units are larger as are some units on the side on each floor. But, the majority are long box units of approx. 40-48 sqm. with balconies that are maybe a little too big in relation to the interior space. It's been awhile but if I remember correctly the original poster was looking for a rental for around 20,000 Baht a month so he would probably be looking at a regular studio unit in the newer View Talays but could maybe get a double unit one bedroom in VT1 or 2.

In the last month I have seen on the outside bulletin board of VT2a a studio for 10,000 and a 1 bedroom for 17,000 long term.

No one has mentioned anything about VTR5 in this entire thread. What's the story with this one? Legal problems?

I dont know why VTR5 is so empty either. There is no obvious reason that I have seen.

Thanks for that - the information is helpful, but I still don't understand. It sounds like you're making a suggestion for what to do if I'm interested in buying a condo, not renting. Am I correct?

Tenants do not need to bother about this, except in as much as it is good idea to check that you are actually renting from the person who owns the unit (or their agent), and not just someone who is pretending to own the unit.

Tenants certainly dont need to be concerned with quota ratios etc.

1) Building quality

Also, your original message suggests to "check the title deeds" (plural). Does this mean to ask the juristic for copies of all the titles in the building, or just the one for the condo in which I happen to be interested? I still don't understand what I'm looking for!

My apologies, I missed the rental part. In that case you don't need to check any title deeds. But you may want to check out who the juristic person is since they set the maintenance fee.

My apologies, I missed the rental part. In that case you don't need to check any title deeds. But you may want to check out who the juristic person is since they set the maintenance fee.

I think it's quite rare for tenants to pay the maintenance fee. I certainly never paid it when I was a tenant, nor do I know of any tenant who does.

How about your Electric bill at View Talay 2 ?

Was told 6 baht per unit. That seems pretty high for electricity.

40 baht per unit for water.

Looks like that could add 700 baht to my electric bill.

I only pay 25 baht for water.

i own a double condo in vt2b since 2000 and pay goverment rates

rick

• 5 months later...

I haven't seen any comments in this thread about Jomtien Plaza Condotel, or Jomtien Complex Condotel - two of the older, largest, and most central, buildings in the Jomtien beach area. There must be people out there who have lived (or do live) in one of these buildings.

Any observations about these?

^There has been a post about Jomtien Complex already .One nobody mentioned is JBC ,or Jomtien Beach Condominium .I used to own a unit there for several years .Well managed and having two large pools and covered parking ,as well as a Gym ,shops and restaurants .The beach is just across the road .There is a 7/11 right at the main Gate and baht busses pass by every 2 minutes or so .The only thing against it is the Balconys are small .For that reason i would recommend Baan Suan La Luna ,already mentioned .

• 1 year later...

I am living in a new condo complex here in Jomtien.  The condo itself is great with lots of room, modern appliances, great view of the pool etc.  The downside is that the sound insulation is woeful.  The walls are paper thin and the outside acoustics from the pool travelling up make the smallest sound from below reverberate all the way through the walls into the condo.  

Children are allowed to run wild in the pool and scream from 7am all the way to late evening.  Doting parents come here on holidays and don't give a damn except for their little offspring.  Zero respect for others.  

The fitness room on the rooftop section is great with all equipment you would expect but the downside is that you get clueless idiots who don't know how to use equipment lifting and slamming down the equipment.  Because of poor sound insulation you will be able to hear all the thumps even in your bed under pillows and earplugs if you are underneath the fitness room - even several floors below.  And it is the usual offenders - Russians and Thais who have never seen a gym before and don't know about gym etiquette or proper equipment use.  Just watching them use the machines makes you shake your head and you wonder why bother at all?  

Russian families also have a bad reputation here for being exceptionally noisy.  Expect loud conversations and slamming doors from the crack of dawn and into the evening. They will refuse to acknowledge you.  And this isn't just a one-off experience.  Politeness isn't in their vocabulary.  

Some Thai families that come here seem to think that throwing their kids in the pool at 7am and letting them scream at the top of their lungs is okay and everyone else should just wake up as well.  Again - zero respect here.  

There are also naughty kids that run amok and their brain dead parents don't do anything about them.  Had to stop a few from trying to destroy a pool chair and smash a window.  Some have also defecated in the pool as a joke.  

Also a huge issue is that many Russian investors refuse to pay for their yearly maintenance fees.  Here in this complex it is about 60% of owners pay which is actually not too bad compared to many other complexes left to ruin.  Of course this means that our emergency funds are about to be used and eventually the rest of the paying owners will cop an increase in fees - but eventually the place will degrade to such a lower standard that people will also refuse to pay and try to sell a sinking ship.  And then it will spiral into rapid degradation. 

I asked about why Russian investors don't pay maintenance?  There is a mindset from many of them, "I pay already so why I pay more?"  They seem to think that since they have already paid for the condo then that's all they have to pay.  And to enforce payment is not worth it - legal costs for each individual owner make it too expensive - especially in a complex like this with a total of more than 1000 condominiums.  The only avenue is to charge interest on the outstanding payments which can be taken from the subsequent sale of the condo.  But unfortunately many will just hang onto the condo refusing to sell it until the place basically falls apart and the place is demolished.  That way they get their 'money's worth' of use out of the place and walk away Scott free when the condo is no more.  

Look at the place.  If it is only a year or two old - are there still things not completed?  Are there things falling apart already?  You will notice in most new places that the building materials used are very cheap and poor quality and will look fantastic new, but after a few years under the very hot sun and torrential rain you will see cracks, render coming off, rust everywhere etc.  And throw in insufficient funds for repairs and it is a snowball effect of destruction.  

It all comes down to the types of residents you have near you, the quality of construction, amenities, and what you can tolerate.  I am my wits end here and cannot even open my balcony doors most of the time because of the shrieks coming from below from kids.  And I am at war with my Russian inbred neighbours who still slam doors and talk at the top of their lungs at 7am.  

Edited by aussienam
Spelling and added information

24 minutes ago, aussienam said:

I am living in a new condo complex here in Jomtien.  The condo itself is great with lots of room, modern appliances, great view of the pool etc.  The downside is that the sound insulation is woeful.  The walls are paper thin and the outside acoustics from the pool travelling up make the smallest sound from below reverberate all the way through the walls into the condo.  

Children are allowed to run wild in the pool and scream from 7am all the way to late evening.  Doting parents come here on holidays and don't give a damn except for their little offspring.  Zero respect for others.  

The fitness room on the rooftop section is great with all equipment you would expect but the downside is that you get clueless idiots who don't know how to use equipment lifting and slamming down the equipment.  Because of poor sound insulation you will be able to hear all the thumps even in your bed under pillows and earplugs if you are underneath the fitness room - even several floors below.  And it is the usual offenders - Russians and Thais who have never seen a gym before and don't know about gym etiquette or proper equipment use.  Just watching them use the machines makes you shake your head and you wonder why bother at all?  

Russian families also have a bad reputation here for being exceptionally noisy.  Expect loud conversations and slamming doors from the crack of dawn and into the evening. They will refuse to acknowledge you.  And this isn't just a one-off experience.  Politeness isn't in their vocabulary.  

Some Thai families that come here seem to think that throwing their kids in the pool at 7am and letting them scream at the top of their lungs is okay and everyone else should just wake up as well.  Again - zero respect here.  

There are also naughty kids that run amok and their brain dead parents don't do anything about them.  Had to stop a few from trying to destroy a pool chair and smash a window.  Some have also defecated in the pool as a joke.  

Also a huge issue is that many Russian investors refuse to pay for their yearly maintenance fees.  Here in this complex it is about 60% of owners pay which is actually not too bad compared to many other complexes left to ruin.  Of course this means that our emergency funds are about to be used and eventually the rest of the paying owners will cop an increase in fees - but eventually the place will degrade to such a lower standard that people will also refuse to pay and try to sell a sinking ship.  And then it will spiral into rapid degradation. 

I asked about why Russian investors don't pay maintenance?  There is a mindset from many of them, "I pay already so why I pay more?"  They seem to think that since they have already paid for the condo then that's all they have to pay.  And to enforce payment is not worth it - legal costs for each individual owner make it too expensive - especially in a complex like this with a total of more than 1000 condominiums.  The only avenue is to charge interest on the outstanding payments which can be taken from the subsequent sale of the condo.  But unfortunately many will just hang onto the condo refusing to sell it until the place basically falls apart and the place is demolished.  That way they get their 'money's worth' of use out of the place and walk away Scott free when the condo is no more.  

Look at the place.  If it is only a year or two old - are there still things not completed?  Are there things falling apart already?  You will notice in most new places that the building materials used are very cheap and poor quality and will look fantastic new, but after a few years under the very hot sun and torrential rain you will see cracks, render coming off, rust everywhere etc.  And throw in insufficient funds for repairs and it is a snowball effect of destruction.  

It all comes down to the types of residents you have near you, the quality of construction, amenities, and what you can tolerate.  I am my wits end here and cannot even open my balcony doors most of the time because of the shrieks coming from below from kids.  And I am at war with my Russian inbred neighbours who still slam doors and talk at the top of their lungs at 7am.  

Many of the issues you mention are things that you will get in any condo block, people have kids, slam doors etc. Your neighbors are only a brick wall away. Maybe a house would suit better.

As for the non payment of fees, most condo blocks will turn off water and electricity as a way of enforcing fee payment, possibly suggest that to your management. Also, a condo cant be sold unless the fees are up to date, the land office wants proof of payment.

Maybe get on the condo committee and try and get some rules put in place and enforced.

I've been renting a single for 6500 baht at Jomtien Beach Condo and couldn't be happier.  Close to the beach, quiet, great friendly staff and security,  has a couple exercise rooms, good pools and small shops, not to mention the 7-11's and Family Mart.

For more money I could do better but why, I'm happy here.  Couple of Farmer's Markets near by and plenty of beer bars, massage places and gentlemen's clubs close by also if that is what you like.

2 hours ago, aussienam said:

Zero respect for others.  

That's many Thais in a nutshell, I'm afraid. It also sums up many of the foreign people who visit the country.

I agree that Thai children are particularly badly behaved, and I find it extraordinary that they are left to their own devices in places like swimming pools. When we were deciding on pool rules signs in my building the Thai management company thought it OK that the English rules should say "no unaccompanied children" but that the Thai rules did not need to.

2 hours ago, aussienam said:

This is surprising in a building that is so new. As mentioned, it sounds like your management company and committee are simply not doing their job properly as there are legal and cheap methods of "encouraging" co-owners to pay up. Put the screws on them.