Traffic on Thepprasit today?

Guderian

At lunch time I wanted to go from Thepprasit Soi 8 up to Sukhumvit but the traffic was pretty much stationary. I could see this wasn't just a local, temporary mess at the usual Soi 5/6/7/8 cluster <deleted> but the traffic was jammed as far as I could see on the east bound side both towards SUkhumvit and back towards Jomtien. Very little coming the other way though. I gave it 10 minutes in which I did about 50 yards and then gave up, did a u-turn and went home. My handyman said that it was because the King is in town, but that didn't seem likely as I don't think HM travels much these days given his health. So I assume he meant some other member of the Royal Family.

Later on I was talking to a friend by the swimming pool and he said he'd driven along Sukhumvit in the morning and there were lots of police around and rows of tables and chairs beside the road as if for people to have a meal or a party, so we do seem to have had an important person visit our humble town this afternoon.

Does anyone know who it was that came, are there any photos or news reports?

Looked like there was a "Party" Tent setup on Sukhumvit, really early this morning (about 8am), with lots of people and

police directing traffic around it.

I thought it was a wedding, or some other event ... didn't look like any Royals where coming through, as the sois past

that tent didn't have any police ....

luudee

I use it 4 times every day and most of the time the reason for traffic jam is a few double parked idiots or a few idiots pulling out from the market or small soi blocking the road.

You are guaranteed to have someone double park any any given time of the day, really pisses me off and not a single cop insight

• Like 2

The worsening traffic situation in Pattaya was one of the main reasons I left, it's a total disaster!!

I just had to spend 4 days there again unfortunately and could not wait to leave, it will only continue to get worse!!

• Like 2

The worsening traffic situation in Pattaya was one of the main reasons I left, it's a total disaster!!

I just had to spend 4 days there again unfortunately and could not wait to leave, it will only continue to get worse!!

Unfortunately, this is true for most cities here. Growing population, more cars, etc....

• Like 2

Unfortunately, this is true for most cities here. Growing population, more cars, etc....

The traffic never bothers me, but that's because I'm not adding to the problem and riding a scooter instead. I don't understand how people can drive cars around this town. I haven't missed having a car in 10 years here.

• Like 1

The traffic never bothers me, but that's because I'm not adding to the problem and riding a scooter instead. I don't understand how people can drive cars around this town. I haven't missed having a car in 10 years here.

Err.... because people have families and don't want to go 4 or 5 up on a bike like Thai's do. Because they don't want to get wet or hot. Because they have a boot full of groceries or other things they need to transport. Because they may live on the "dark side" or north/south of Pattaya and a car is a safer option. Because they need and use cars to conduct their business. Because.... Oh, why bother to try to explain...

• Like 1

" it will only continue to get worse!!"thumbsup.gif

Is there a Thai word equivalent to extrapolation?giggle.gif

Err.... because people have families and don't want to go 4 or 5 up on a bike like Thai's do. Because they don't want to get wet or hot. Because they have a boot full of groceries or other things they need to transport. Because they may live on the "dark side" or north/south of Pattaya and a car is a safer option. Because they need and use cars to conduct their business. Because.... Oh, why bother to try to explain...

I apologize - I'm sorry, I should have added a footnote that my comments only apply to people living West of Sukhumvit in the central area of Pattaya.

I should also have added a footnote that my comments mainly apply to retired expats. I'm sorry to hear that you need a car here.

I didn't even consider people living far away with huge families and business needs.

I believe most of Pattaya traffic problems is NOT due to higher number of cars, but due to increasing number of selfish people, police inaction and silliest road barriers.

Look at major intersections like Pattaya Tai and Sukhumvit, 2 lanes clearly marked to turn right while 3 lanes clearly marked to go straight, yet without a fail 24 hours per day, some selfish idiot would take up 3rd lane to turn right(that lane is suppose to go straight), as a result you have traffic jam, Police box is right there, however officer on duty is either asleep or too busy washing his car

Some barriers, again take Pattaya Tai, half way down, left and right turns to Soi Korpai, instead of installing lights or a roundabout, they put in barriers, so you can not turn. Great idea, only people could not care less and clog up traffic making uturns to turn into Soi Korpai. Again never any action from Police.

Those making uturn are actually considerate of others, many just cross into oncoming traffic, flashing lights and beeping and expect oncoming traffic to stop, so they can drive to make a turn.

Then the busses, besides the obvious, they usually park where ever they feel like it and hardly ever proper parallel parking, but rather pull in with "arse" sticking out and just leave it there.

Buses also feel the need to use smaller sois to avoid traffic, so not only turning into one or from one creates a chaos but driving through one adds even more problems.

Mayor and police instead of having meetings on how redirect the traffic, should concentrate on enforcing traffic laws, that alone i believe would cut traffic jams into half.

You then also have a problem when accident occurs. In most countries, people involved pull aside to clear the road and then deal with it. In Thailand, they freeze and wait for insurance guy to come out, which can take 1 or 2 hours, while cars are left in the middle of the road or intersection.

The fact that it has created a huge traffic jam, does not bother anyone involved, including the police

Expect this for the next 3/4 years because of idiotic road works that will not do any good, as the authorities were told by qualified people in the planning stages, but the money has to go into somebodies pockets. Here's another prediction the so called tunnel will flood during heavy rains,why,let's wait and see???? Best buy a boat lol

I apologize - I'm sorry, I should have added a footnote that my comments only apply to people living West of Sukhumvit in the central area of Pattaya.

I should also have added a footnote that my comments mainly apply to retired expats. I'm sorry to hear that you need a car here.

I didn't even consider people living far away with huge families and business needs.

not only that, but since I had a motorcycle crash a while ago on South Pattaya road I feel very reluctant taking the bike much further than the 7/11 on the corner. And before the questions come, it was midday, I was stone sober and another guy caused the accident.