2nd year ED visa - problems entering at Suvarnabhumi?

I live in Chiang Mai and I'm coming up on the end of my first year of ED visa + extensions. To do another year the same way, I'll need to go to Vientiane to get a 90 day ED visa, return, and take up the usual process of 90 day extensions at immigration here in Chiang Mai.

Plan is to fly to and from Vientiane via Suvarnabhumi. What quizzes and interrogations, if any, am I likely to face at Immigration at the airport when re-entering Thailand? Would especially like to hear from others who are Chiang Mai based who have done this.

Please keep in mind when responding

I've read the numerous stories about getting tested for ED extensions at various immigration offices. I'm not looking for info about this.

I am only looking for info on the re-entry experience at Suvarnabhumi after already having done a year on ED visa + extensions. Hope to hear some recent stories.

There was one French guy who reported here that he was quizzed and refused entry but he was in BKK airport and not sure what year he was in, or if it was a new visa sorry.

Edited by Kitsune

There was one French guy who reported here that he was quizzed and refused entry but he was in BKK airport and not sure what year he was in, or if it was a new visa sorry.

He had a re-entry permit not a visa.

There has been a lot of confusion caused by calling extensions visas and then saying they had a ED visa when they had a re-entry permit.

I did a re enty on my second year and was asked about 10 questions in thai and told to read a few things. It wasnt very hard. Im going to start my 4th year advanced thai class this year. Jomtien immigration realise that most ed visas are bullshit so just charge the extra 3100 baht and u r good to go. The officer even gave me a big smile when i got my passport back. No waiting. Almost like a nice hotel service.

thanks, crickets.

that seems to track what people are saying that you only get tested if you take a trip out of the country during the course.

anyone else?

I think they test the multiple entries because they can escape quizzed extensions.

The ones with single entry will be dealt with when extending.

He had a re-entry permit not a visa.

There has been a lot of confusion caused by calling extensions visas and then saying they had a ED visa when they had a re-entry permit.

Why would leaving the country on a 2nd year ED visa tmake them quiz you again when re-entering the country at the airport? You already getting quizzed at Immigration for a 90 day extension, fly out then they quiz you again. Seems way over the top....

i left for a month a they dont want people doing that during there year if learning. There not stupid. 80% of people on ed visas are working.

If someone was working, they wouldn't leave the country for a month or two. Surely the people who are working don't have the cash to stop working or for tickets to fly out & back in whistling.gif