Public donations exceed Bt 1 million for homeless father and daughter

Thaivisa News

Uttaradit: – As of yesterday, a video clip depicting the father and daughter crying and looking on their home burning down has attracted 145,798 Likes and 2,393 Shares.

The public donations deposited in a bank account opened for the two have surpassed 1 million baht.

The video clip was posted on Facebook’s YouLike page on Wednesday by Tambon Ngiewngam Municipality.

Police and local authorities went to investigate the fire at Tambon Ngiewngam, Uttaradit Mueang district.

They found Sumit Karinda, 51 and his daughter Sukanda Karinda hugged one another and cried watching the fire engulfing and burning down their home.

The municipal officials said the scene was tragic and that they posted the clip in order to call attention to the plight of Sumit and fourth grader Sukanda who were left homeless and destitute.

Sumit was between job and the shanty house was the only property the father and daughter had in possession.

The Uttaradit Social Development and Human Security Office checked into the welfare of the two.

Based on the office’s report, the shanty house was constructed by the provincial red cross team before donating to the two who were vagrants.

The fire made them homeless once again.

The office had sought and received the father’s permission to take his daughter into a shelter home for children. The father sought temporary shelter at a Buddhist temple.

The office and the provincial charity organisations handed out relief supplies plus 2,000 baht for emergency spending money.

The municipality opened the bank account under Sukanda’s name in order to start a pool of relief funds.

After the three-day circulation of the video clip in the social media, the public poured out donations to assist the two to get a new home and to kick-start a new life.

• Like 1

A nice story to read this Monday morning.

I am often called cynical but I for one do not care about the nationality of the people donating money, nor do I assume the relatives will come over with a begging bowl.

Good luck to them both (father and daughter)

• Like 2

"The municipality opened the bank account under Sukanda’s name in order to start a pool of relief funds."

Isn't that the daughter, the fourth grader?

Wouldn't it be better in the fathers name?

Perhaps she is less likely to object to individuals from the municipality (who have made themselves controlling trustees of the account) taking commissions for their services, than her father?

Edited by Enoon

It's a shame the OP didn't include the video clips that made them famous. It would be interesting to see how spectacular the fire is.

Well when I saw the photos I found it heart wrenching. Just think about it, everything they had in the world just gone. sad.png

post-566-0-36417200-1430165111_thumb.jpg