Moped License / Insurance

chubby

Hello,

I don't have a moped or motorcycle, here in the USA,

but am wondering if it would be advisable, to obtain one, then obtain a AAA International Drivers License, before I permenantly move to Bangkok. ???

As I take motorcycle taxis, every day, and might like the freedom to take short trips around my soi, without having to use motorcycle taxis, etc

I understand the main reason to have a legal ?motorcycle license is in order to obtain some kind of moped/"motorsai" license; can someone advise on average costs for that in Bangkok? too. ...

Or if I were to rent a moped out in the country, and the have "insurance", last time I just deposited 3000Baht instead of my passport, but I suspect it is dodgy, if anything were to hit me. , etc.

with respect I did do a search, and the answers, are old and vague enough, that I can interactively ask any questions.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=499d6417936ee7d8347811cd1b63b8ae&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=moped license

the pinned item is irrelevant totally to my angle of questions , just a list of how to get a ?car and /or ?cycle license, list of documents; so does that mean , for example, to not bother with Westerner licenses, and just get a ?moped license in BKK, after arrival, because I've heard it differently, etc etc

sorry, if it appears redundant, (DELETED)

Thai DL checklist - pinned at the top of the page, has info according to Chonburi DLT

Or use the search function - top RH of this page

All been covered many times before

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Thais don't use the term moped, they are all motorcycles

And if there are no new posts on the subject that is probably because nothing has changed

Trust me, the eager beavers here at Thai Visa will immediately report anything new on any subject of interest to the community

You can ask all you want, just don't be surprised at the answers you get in an open forum

1. To obtain mocy endorsement in USA usually requires a training course.

Not a bad idea.

Has costs.

2. Int DL; translation of endorsed USA license.

Not a bad Idea.

You are legal to drive on that here for a month or 2.

You will be legal as soon as you step off the plane.
Has costs.

1 or 2 above will get you local DL without written or driving

test, maybe.
Regardless, in Thailand, one can get mocy DL pretty easy and cheap.

As per referenced threads.

Up to you.

What is a moped?

Has motor & pedals?

Sounds neat.

Not a bad idea.

Has costs.

Not a bad Idea.

Has costs.

test, maybe.

Up to you.

What is a moped?

Has motor & pedals?

Sounds neat.

What is a moped?

Has motor & pedals?

Yes. I haven't seen one since I was a boy. Pretty rubbish really, which is why they don't make them anymore.

a small motorcycle then , whatever, "Legal terms and definitions of low-powered cycles vary from state to state and may include "moped", "motorcycle", "motorized bicycle", "motorscooter", "scooter", "goped", "motor-driven cycle", and others. A moped's speed generally may not exceed 30 mph (48 km/h) on level ground, even if it is capable of going faster. In a few states this number is 20 or 25 mph (32 or 40 km/h), and in most states, the maximum engine capacity is 50 cc (3.1 cu in). However, Kansas ("Motorized Bicycle" K.S.A. 8-126, 8-1439a) allows up to 130 cc (7.9 cu in).[30]Some states (including California) require pedals, while others do not."

I'm asking if it would be easier to get a mocy license in USA 1st , vs. in Thailand :

are you trying to say a car /auto DL with an international DL permit, allows one to drive mocy/motorcycles and be insured in Thailand for 1-2 months ?

re: the pinned answers all I see is this "Thai DL Checklist.pdf 59.87KB

------

Photocopy of unexpired Driving License from your own country (if you have one) – you will need original to show to the LTO staff

SO DOES THAT MEAN THE UNEXPIRED DL IS SUPPOSED TO BE A MOCY DL FROM THE HOME COUNTRY ? ETC

Not a bad idea.

Has costs.

Not a bad Idea.

Has costs.

test, maybe.

Up to you.

What is a moped?

Has motor & pedals?

Sounds neat.

What is a moped?

Has motor & pedals?

Yes. I haven't seen one since I was a boy. Pretty rubbish really, which is why they don't make them anymore.

Edited by seedy
font

To answer your question in the op.

yes it would make the process easier in Thailand to have a full motorcycle licence, as well as a international permit, but the test is not that difficult in Thailand.

I'm asking if it would be easier to get a mocy license in USA 1st , vs. in Thailand :

are you trying to say a car /auto DL with an international DL permit, allows one to drive mocy/motorcycles and be insured in Thailand for 1-2 months ?

------

Photocopy of unexpired Driving License from your own country (if you have one) – you will need original to show to the LTO staff

SO DOES THAT MEAN THE UNEXPIRED DL IS SUPPOSED TO BE A MOCY DL FROM THE HOME COUNTRY ? ETC

I would assume/hope that the requirments to obtain a motorcycle licence are more stringent in the USA than in Thailand.

USA Car /auto licence is not accepted as a motorcycle licence in Thailand.

There are separate licences for car and motorcycle in Thailand.

If you have a USA motorcycle licence you can use this to "bypass" most of

( road rules theory test and practical test parts ) the testing when obtaining a motorcycle licence in Thailand.

If you dont have a USA motorcycle licence you will have to take the "full" motorcycle test

this will include colour blindness test, peripheral vision test,speed reaction test, a computer road rules theory test ( which they recently made harder to pass ) and an on the road ( track ) practical driving test.

depending upon what department of land transportation office (DLT ) you go to the "full" test can take at least 2 seperate maybe not consecutive days to complete.

------

I would assume/hope that the requirments to obtain a motorcycle licence are more stringent in the USA than in Thailand.

( road rules theory test and practical test parts ) the testing when obtaining a motorcycle licence in Thailand.

If you dont have a USA motorcycle licence you will have to take the "full" motorcycle test

this will include colour blindness test, peripheral vision test,speed reaction test, a computer road rules theory test ( which they recently made harder to pass ) and an on the road ( track ) practical driving test.

depending upon what department of land transportation office (DLT ) you go to the "full" test can take at least 2 seperate maybe not consecutive days to complete.

Even if you have a m'bike licence from home, a medical and eye test is still required, plus some minor tests at the licence place to test distance perception and reaction time etc. Also need proof of residence.

thanks , this gets me closer, to how to decide what to do, since I don't have a motorcycle in the US, I'll have to see, what's involved in obtaining a license, without have a bike..... if it's a possible 2 day hassle to get one in bangkok.

but, really I would also like to have things covered, if i were in the country and rented a bike,

------

this part of my question I misworded "I understand the main reason to have a legal ?motorcycle license is in order to obtain some kind of moped/"motorsai" license; can someone advise on average costs for that in Bangkok? too. ...

Or if I were to rent a moped out in the country, and the have "insurance", last time I just deposited 3000Baht instead of my passport, but I suspect it is dodgy, if anything were to hit me. , etc."

------

I had meant to ask what motorcycle insurance typically costs in bangkok, and/or could I use it to cover me while riding a motorcycle upcountry ,etc ....

thanks

------

USA motorcycle license valid for 30 days as a tourist.

After that a Thai license required.

Motorcycle rental agencies carry only the most basic coverage. You wreck it, you pay. Injure someone or cause property damage, you pay.

You can not buy additional coverage on a rental motorcycle to offset these costs.

Your travel medical coverage - if you have it - may cover your injuries while renting. Check with the insurance company to make sure.

Same here as everywhere else - if you are not a legally licensed driver/rider the insurance coverage is not valid.

ok, this is one of the 2 reasons, I'm wanting to be prepared, few weeks ago, I was driving 'round Chiang Mai, didn't even have my US Auto drivers license with me,

1) so, I guess some of the big bike places, DO carry decent insurance, but it would not be any good, unless one has a US motocycle license ?

2) I guess this doesn't apply to the small motocycle "moped" size places ? ( I've heard some shop might have better coverage than others ?)

If #1 is true, and whether I have a motorcycle license or not, the insurances on a rental motorcycle is not going to be any more valid or invalid, then I don't think I'll seek a local motorcycle license here.

I'd just wait and when and if I buy a small bike('motorcycle') in Bangkok, then I'll pursue, the local motorcycle license...

seems to me renting small bikes "motorcycles", has the potential to go really wrong, license or not?

PS: as an aside, If I an unlicensed driver, rented the bike, but then allowed my friend to drive it, while I was on the bike, I wonder if THAT would be covered by a typical travel insurance company.

Motorcycle rental agencies carry only the most basic coverage. You wreck it, you pay. Injure someone or cause property damage, you pay.

You can not buy additional coverage on a rental motorcycle to offset these costs.

Your travel medical coverage - if you have it - may cover your injuries while renting. Check with the insurance company to make sure.

Same here as everywhere else - if you are not a legally licensed driver/rider the insurance coverage is not valid.

ok, this is one of the 2 reasons, I'm wanting to be prepared, few weeks ago, I was driving 'round Chiang Mai, didn't even have my US Auto drivers license with me,

Ahh. The Thai way. You'll fit in.

1) so, I guess some of the big bike places, DO carry decent insurance, but it would not be any good, unless one has a US motocycle license ?

The insurance would likely require a valid motorcycle license: a) from home (1st 30-days) or B) Thailand

2) I guess this doesn't apply to the small motocycle "moped" size places ? ( I've heard some shop might have better coverage than others ?)

Gopeds by law require drivers license and insurance same same as big bike.

If #1 is true, and whether I have a motorcycle license or not, the insurances on a rental motorcycle is not going to be any more valid or invalid, then I don't think I'll seek a local motorcycle license here.

Your logic is impeccable; valid/invalid is a binary choice. So really no such thing as 'more valid or invalid.'

I'd just wait and when and if I buy a small bike('motorcycle') in Bangkok, then I'll pursue, the local motorcycle license...

One can rent a bike and pursue a local license with essentially the same risk.

seems to me renting small bikes "motorcycles", has the potential to go really wrong, license or not?

You get it!

Even fatally wrong.

PS: as an aside, If I an unlicensed driver, rented the bike, but then allowed my friend to drive it, while I was on the bike, I wonder if THAT would be covered by a typical travel insurance company.

Maybe, read the policy.

Insurance companies don't like to pay, unless they clearly 'have to.'

The way the policies are worded tend to favor the company.

Buyer beware.

Cool people just call 'em 'bikes.'

We'll know what you mean.

The police like to set up checkpoints around C M to check for driving licence, registration etc.

Anyone leaving passport as security for a rental is, IMO, a mug and deserves to be taken for everything they have, as does happen to many foolish tourists.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

ok thanks, but what does this mean

"I'd just wait and when and if I buy a small bike('motorcycle') in Bangkok, then I'll pursue, the local motorcycle license... One can rent a bike and pursue a local license with essentially the same risk."

am I correct, that the typical rental insurance, is so poor on a bike, that having a US bike license or even a Thai one, is not going to help much ; somehow I am doubting all these tourists renting bikes, have bike licenses or any sort , the rental place , i asked about CM checkpoints for helmets, they said mornings usually ....

It seems they no longer force one to handover a passport, the standard seems to me 3000Baht, instead , or the passport, my thai girl tried to do the rental w/o me, (hiding), and they want two pieces of Thai ID I think ......

Ahh. The Thai way. You'll fit in.

The insurance would likely require a valid motorcycle license: a) from home (1st 30-days) or cool.png Thailand

Gopeds by law require drivers license and insurance same same as big bike.

Your logic is impeccable; valid/invalid is a binary choice. So really no such thing as 'more valid or invalid.'

One can rent a bike and pursue a local license with essentially the same risk.

You get it!

Even fatally wrong.

Maybe, read the policy.

Insurance companies don't like to pay, unless they clearly 'have to.'

The way the policies are worded tend to favor the company.

Buyer beware.

Cool people just call 'em 'bikes.'

We'll know what you mean.

• 7 months later...

if i have a O-A retirement visa, and am staying month to month in a condo.

which way is recommend of the two, as easiest to obtain? or am I am to obtain this, if I will be in BKK for 3 months only?

"5. Original Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration or your Embassy"

I don't have a Moc'y USA license, just an automobile.

so, i guess i need to take a course or written and practical test ??

i suppose they have an english version ? or which land office is advisable or a company to hire for a course?

i'll be staying in bkk, sukhumwit

, do they provide a "motocycle" for the test , like a harley or somethign?

Edited by seedy

I don't have a Moc'y USA license, just an automobile.

so, i guess i need to take a course or written and practical test ??

i suppose they have an english version ? or which land office is advisable or a company to hire for a course?

i'll be staying in bkk, sukhumwit

, do they provide a "motocycle" for the test , like a harley or somethign?

Check the pinned topic at the start of the forum - Thai DL Checklist

i am planning on just small motobikes, not big ones, i've actually ridden a harley a few times, but just want the license for upcountry, and/or soi riding, not even on sukhumwit

the pinned topic again, is sufficiently vague, please Dont point me at it further, appreciated , thanks

Seems you have never ridden a motorcycle? Best to get some time on one in your home country before just jumping on one over here.

I think it's best for you to go on a training course / pass for license, when you get here. Using an accepted school does away with the need for a separate test and costs only a few thousand baht.

Obtaining a licence before you arrive will serve little purpose because it will only be valid here for 30 days. An international license is valid for maximum one year. If you intend to stay longer .. It's worthless.

Forget any comparison to insurance between Thailand and your home country. insurance here is normally very basic but full / all risk insurance can be purchased under certain circumstances. You can arrange that with the dealer that you buy the m/c from, you will need the m/c before starting the driver training. Expect to pay around ฿ 50,000 for the m/c, 3,000 for training / licence, 5,000 for all risk insurance (all approx).

thanks bill,

can you recommend a course in bangkok, maybe one, where i could borrow a small bike for the actual test ?

i'll probably leave the insurance and buying a bike till i'm possibly fulltime in thailand, but want to go ahead and get a bike license during my 3 months in bangkok this trip.

if i can get the adequate proof of residency, which is what i don't know, i've read hugh leong, say the wanted his wife Tabien /house permit ; which i would not have , etc

I think it's best for you to go on a training course / pass for license, when you get here. Using an accepted school does away with the need for a separate test and costs only a few thousand baht.
Obtaining a licence before you arrive will serve little purpose because it will only be valid here for 30 days. An international license is valid for maximum one year. If you intend to stay longer .. It's worthless.
Forget any comparison to insurance between Thailand and your home country. insurance here is normally very basic but full / all risk insurance can be purchased under certain circumstances. You can arrange that with the dealer that you buy the m/c from, you will need the m/c before starting the driver training. Expect to pay around ฿ 50,000 for the m/c, 3,000 for training / licence, 5,000 for all risk insurance (all approx).