Thai man arrested with 26 migrant workers in his car

webfact

Thai man arrested with 26 migrant workers in his car
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- HIGHWAY Police early yesterday morning rounded up 26 migrant workers packed into an SUV in Kanchanaburi's Phanom Tuan district and arrested the Thai driver.

Following a tip-off, police near the Ban Pu Namron border checkpoint tried to search the suspicious SUV at 5am but it failed to stop, so they gave chase until the driver pulled over and ran for it. Police found nine women and 17 men - all undocumented - crammed into the vehicle designed to carry up to 10 passengers.

They managed to catch the driver, identified as Somkuan Sida, 42, who claimed to have been paid Bt500 to take the workers to Tha Maka district.

Somkuan was charged with aiding, hiding or harbouring migrants who illegally entered the country and his SUV was impounded.

The workers were sent to Muang Police Station for processing and repatriation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-man-arrested-with-26-migrant-workers-in-his-c-30259052.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-30

Police found nine women and 17 men - all undocumented - crammed into the vehicle designed to carry up to 10 passengers.

The number of passengers is nothing compared to the local vans that transport students back and forth to schools daily. I don't even want to get started ranting about the song taews that are so loaded that school kids are literally hanging off the back of the vehicle. Of course they are ignored by the police.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All let in through Phu Nam Ron no doubt. There were hundreds of Burmese coming through there when I did my out-in.

I thought they stopped border runs.

I have a year non immigrant O , have go out-in every 90 days

Edited by ExPratt

Police found nine women and 17 men - all undocumented - crammed into the vehicle designed to carry up to 10 passengers.

The number of passengers is nothing compared to the local vans that transport students back and forth to schools daily. I don't even want to get started ranting about the song taews that are so loaded that school kids are literally hanging off the back of the vehicle. Of course they are ignored by the police.

What about the dozen or more that are sat aloft the van, and like to walk around changing positions.?

So; without the 'tip off' they would not have noticed that many people in a car as being suspicious ? You don't need to be the sharpest pencil in the box to realise that this is a regular flow passing through thanks to money changing hands at the so called 'Border Control'.

The Guinness Book of World Records should be informed about this.

Surely, 26 people in an SUV ( pickup truck ) has to be a world record

If it was at Aranyaprathet they would have got 30 inside.. and into Thailand !!

SUV licensed to carry 10???

What's the chances the report has got the terminology all wrong ?

Would the licence for 10 mean it was a van / people carrier ? I have an old pickup and it cannot be classified as an SUV which is full cab.

We've all seen pickups dangerously overloaded with people in the back, the suspension well down and the exhaust etc giving off sparks at every bump.

So over loaded that the front wheels are barely in touch with the ground. How many kids have fallen off the back of these I wonder.