DMH: One third of working-age faces depression

webfact

DMH: One third of working-age faces depression

BANGKOK, 30 April 2015 (NNT) - One third of working-age population is now facing depression, while stress management could help reduce the stress and increase happiness, says the DMH Director-General.

The Director-General of the Department of Mental Health (DMH) Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk has revealed the figures from World Health Organization’s survey on the working-age population globally. The figure shows that 1.9 billion people are at risk of facing problems from their work, 8 percent of which are facing stress from their jobs.

The information corresponds with the DMH Hotline 1323's statistics that showed 32.24 percent of the 47,780 total hotline users face stress and depression, most of which are in working-age. 24.02 percent of the working-age population have also faced mental illness.

The DMH Director-General has said that stress from work is a big factor that affects productivity, life quality, and the workplace environment. It can also leads to symptoms of mental illness.

He has said that the public should find proper way to manage their stress through finding balance, focus, communication, and being honest and kindness in order to create a healthy workplace environment and relationship with their coworkers.

These methods is from Buddhism and can easily be adapted to the Thai social context, and can help lead to happiness in society, the DMH Director-General has said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-30 footer_n.gif

He has said that the public should find proper way to manage their stress through finding balance, focus, communication, and being honest and kindness in order to create a healthy workplace environment and relationship with their coworkers.

If people like him hadn't dedicated their entire lives turning Thailand in to a factory staffed by unthinking clones (for his benefit) there would not be a problem.

But of course the problem was not created by him and his ilk, someone else did it didn't they (sarc)

My guess is that the stress is from fear in losing one's job when one is also drowning from debt repayments.

Your guess would be wrongtongue.png

Stress is from Facebook being down for few hours, slow internet to access facebook and fear of being caught playing on facebook during working hourslaugh.png

Edited by konying
  • Like 2

Providing a stress-free environment in the working place would help.

Faster Internet to access facebook? or better armchairs with pillows for better naps?

Or may be even less responsibility, better yet let the owners and management do the work, while stresses out workers take it easythumbsup.gif

• Like 1

right , i understand that the thai workers can be stressed . when i see the staff playing on their phone , on internet in the offices , joke together , speak together and don't look to the customers who need some help , their less professionalism , their less competance , i understand their stress as they know that ASEAN will be open soon .

"He has said that the public should find proper way to manage their stress through finding balance, focus, communication, and being honest and kindness in order to create a healthy workplace environment and relationship with their coworkers."

Since m,any positions here are paid for -- one buys one's status -- any worker that works hard, is innovative, and is a dynamic worker...

gets fired.

Upward mobility is a pipe dream here, and a cloud in the boss' coffee......

Ha Ha Ha,,,,,what a load of crap this is,,,, they just are scared of work/don't want to work,,,than they have no money ,,that is the real reason that they feel depressed,,,Quick fix,,, see Doctor,,,He say,go work ,.,.,.

Employment (or unemployment), financial stress , loss of homes, and general economic worries are hardly unique to Thailand. There's a fair amount of that going around in the EU and still in the US.

If people like him hadn't dedicated their entire lives turning Thailand in to a factory staffed by unthinking clones (for his benefit) there would not be a problem.

But of course the problem was not created by him and his ilk, someone else did it didn't they (sarc)

"turning Thailand in to a factory staffed by unthinking clones"

Probably a feeling shared by all those who have had to resort to one or two jobs at places like Walmart or McDonald's since the improvement in employment in places such the US is largely in that level of occupations ... however well qualified or experienced the person was before the Bush-Cheney recession or the slide in the EU or the downward spiral in commodity prices. Or in many cases those who have been unemployed for years on end have simply given up searching for work.

Edited by Suradit69

Nice, but mental health is still not officially recognized as an illness in Thailand and is therefore not covered by insurance companies. Feels good to have foreign health insurance doesn't it ?cool.png

I have never seen a stress free work environment. Would the author please tell me where that is?

The truth is that the more I progressed up the ladder of life the more stressful it got due to increasing risk and responsibility.

Who would have guessed that life wouldn't be stressful? Who entitled us to that? We probably put ourselves into most stressful situations via our own choices. Anyone who wants a stress free life is on the wrong planet.

Usual thai bashers are so busy dragging everything thai through the mud that they did not even notice that the figures given apply to the whole world and not to their small paradise that they hate so much.

Usual thai bashers are so busy dragging everything thai through the mud that they did not even notice that the figures given apply to the whole world and not to their small paradise that they hate so much.

......and maybe you didn't notice that the world figures correlate to those of Thailand.

"The information corresponds with the DMH Hotline 1323's statistics that showed 32.24 percent of the 47,780 total hotline users face stress and depression, most of which are in working-age. 24.02 percent of the working-age population have also faced mental illness".

Edited by KarenBravo

It's stressful to me employing Thai's to do jobs. When the builder (I use that term loosely!) was here building the new shed I lost the bottle 3 times! Twice they didn't turn up for work the next day cause I upset the poor darlings.

So don't give me the story their stressed....because they create the problem themselves with their slack attitude and shoddy work practices.

• Like 1

It's stressful to me employing Thai's to do jobs. When the builder (I use that term loosely!) was here building the new shed I lost the bottle 3 times! Twice they didn't turn up for work the next day cause I upset the poor darlings.

So don't give me the story their stressed....because they create the problem themselves with their slack attitude and shoddy work practices.

I've learned a lot over the years, the hard way, that losing the plot is totally counterproductive, especially in the Middle East.. there's a similar mindset in Thailand, maybe you just don't fully get into the "Thainess" thing 5555 ;)

I had a similar issue, charging for days they were not there, dragging the job out, I went with my wife to check on a Sala we were getting made for the monks at the local temple, my wife bless her didn't have the cojones to say anything to them, they were slow, 2 weeks late in finishing, wanted more cash for materials.. I sacked them all on the spot, told them to leave, and made sure the monks knew to stop them returning. Called in a family friend, offered him a fixed price to complete the build, he dropped the work he was doing, finished my job, sorted out a few issues, and said "call me first next time".

There's a moral to the story too, ask around first about the builders workmanship, due diligence mate ;)

I've learned a lot over the years, the hard way, that losing the plot is totally counterproductive, especially in the Middle East.. there's a similar mindset in Thailand, maybe you just don't fully get into the "Thainess" thing 5555 wink.png

I had a similar issue, charging for days they were not there, dragging the job out, I went with my wife to check on a Sala we were getting made for the monks at the local temple, my wife bless her didn't have the cojones to say anything to them, they were slow, 2 weeks late in finishing, wanted more cash for materials.. I sacked them all on the spot, told them to leave, and made sure the monks knew to stop them returning. Called in a family friend, offered him a fixed price to complete the build, he dropped the work he was doing, finished my job, sorted out a few issues, and said "call me first next time".

There's a moral to the story too, ask around first about the builders workmanship, due diligence mate wink.png

I don't agree.

When building my house, lots of problems. I acted greng jai and jai yen yen. Every time I did, it was me that got shafted.

Then I watched a Thai soap opera. Every single one had the hi-so wife yelling at the servants.

When I did the same, I started to get results.

The wonderful thing, is that as a farang, you have no "face" to lose.

Screw Thainess, You're not Thai. Complain if there is a problem.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1