Four hospitalised as celebratory fireworks explode into crowd of cyclers, pedestrians

Lite Beer

Four hospitalised as celebratory fireworks explode into crowd of cyclers, pedestrians
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Chinese-marked fireworks intended for celebration to mark the start of a 23 kilometre cycling night fest last night instead malfunctioned, exploding into a crowd of cyclists and onlookers at Lime Light plaza, sending four to hospital.

It is understood that the injured requiring medical attention included one female and three males, who were rushed to Bangkok Hospital Phuket, and were all responsive as of last night. The incident happened at about 7pm during the climax of the launch ceremony for the 23km Plukpanya Night Ride, organised for dozens of cyclists and their supporters.

Cycling in Phuket is rapidly growing in popularity despite the lack of cycling-friendly roads and pathways, nevermind safety forthought in celebration planning for activities in densely occupied or populated areas.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/four-hospitalised-as-celebratory-fireworks-explode-into-crowd-of-cyclers-pedestrians-52138.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-03

Yellow journalism masquerading as news. The last paragraph has no place in a proper news article. The editors need to go back to Journalism 101. Thanks for another negative example I can use in my university classes.

Yellow journalism masquerading as news. The last paragraph has no place in a proper news article. The editors need to go back to Journalism 101. Thanks for another negative example I can use in my university classes.

I can differenciate between just the facts and an opinion, the last sentence that you object to so strongly is an observation and a refreshing bit of cultural reflection. There is no longer any "proper" journalism .

Made in China still has a questionable reputation all the way from Istanbul to Bangkok.

Always loved fireworks, but stopped buying them a few years ago, two accidents (people lightly injured) was enough for me.

On one occasion a large peace exploded on the ground instead of taking off, which caused an area of over one rai to be covered in dense white smoke which made your eyes water.

New Years Eve time in Europe, Dutch and Germans flock to Belgium where the laws are laxer, to buy the dodgy stuff.

What a load of rubbish you have just written.

Do you know who the author is and have you looked at any other articles that he may have written?

Here is a clue for you.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/listing-author.php?listing_author=Eakkapop%20Thongtub

Yours is actually the negative example that you should use in your university classes.

It is actually called research before you post.

It isn't hard, even I can do it.

Regardless whether or not the final paragraph should be included in the article, it's hard to disagree with its content.

I agree. The author, if he/she wants to be taken seriously as a journalist, definitely needs to brush up on their grammar and vocabulary skills. The word 'cycler' has got nothing to do with this news item.

It is actually called research before you post! facepalm.gif

I hope all the injured recover soon.

Edited by Chainsaw

I can differenciate between just the facts and an opinion, the last sentence that you object to so strongly is an observation and a refreshing bit of cultural reflection. There is no longer any "proper" journalism .

The writer of the article needs to learn that there is reporting and there is comment, and you do not mix the two. Comment is usually provided by editors or columnists, not run-of-the-mill reporters. I speak as a journalist.

Journalism is a dying craft, but "proper" journalism does still exist, particularly in the West. It is one of the basic rules of journalism that a reporter should report on events, but not comment upon them. The sub-editor who edited this story, assuming there was one, should have known this and amended or deleted the comment.

Unfortunately, with so many publishers prepared to save on labour costs by recruiting untrained or poorly-trained staff, journalistic standards will continue to plummet - and an increasingly poorly-educated (and, it seems, largely indifferent) public will not know the difference.

I agree. The author, if he/she wants to be taken seriously as a journalist, definitely needs to brush up on their grammar and vocabulary skills. The word 'cycler' has got nothing to do with this news item.

I think you will find that the original report was done in Thai which is the authors native language and the easiest for him to use. After that he had it translated into English and tidied up, whether he did it himself or not I don't know. After that it should have been edited and proof read by one of the Nations editors before it was posted.

I wonder if you could write that same article in English and with your obvious superior skills in reading and writing in the Thai languge would it have come out in perfect Thai with not one error in grammar or vocabulary.

Having read many posts on TVF over the years I have seen many errors in the standard of English English by quite a few posters, myself included, and though I do reread my posts before I hit enter sometime a few sneak by me.

I try not to point out the errors of spelling, diction, comprehension and grammar in others posts because I am not a grammar Nazi and I know I make enough mistakes of my own. These are errors in my native language and I certainly wouldn't attempt it in another language.

I think you will find that the original report was done in Thai which is the authors native language and the easiest for him to use. After that he had it translated into English and tidied up, whether he did it himself or not I don't know. After that it should have been edited and proof read by one of the Nations editors before it was posted.

I wonder if you could write that same article in English and with your obvious superior skills in reading and writing in the Thai languge would it have come out in perfect Thai with not one error in grammar or vocabulary.

Having read many posts on TVF over the years I have seen many errors in the standard of English English by quite a few posters, myself included, and though I do reread my posts before I hit enter sometime a few sneak by me.

I try not to point out the errors of spelling, diction, comprehension and grammar in others posts because I am not a grammar Nazi and I know I make enough mistakes of my own. These are errors in my native language and I certainly wouldn't attempt it in another language.

I don't pretend to have any skills in reading and writing in Thai, I don't know where you got such an idea.

I assume the person who wrote the original article is being paid as a journalist to write articles in English. If so, there is no excuse for not having the article proof read and he certainly shouldn't be adding his own comments.

BTW You missed an 'a' out of the word 'language'.(Sorry but my grammar nazi urges got the better of me!) tongue.png

Cycling in Phuket is rapidly growing in popularity despite the lack of cycling-friendly roads and pathways, nevermind safety forthought in celebration planning for activities in densely occupied or populated areas.

It is amazing anyone is brave enough to ride a bicycle in this country. I tip my hat to those brave souls.

I don't pretend to have any skills in reading and writing in Thai, I don't know where you got such an idea.

I assume the person who wrote the original article is being paid as a journalist to write articles in English. If so, there is no excuse for not having the article proof read and he certainly shouldn't be adding his own comments.

BTW You missed an 'a' out of the word 'language'.(Sorry but my grammar nazi urges got the better of me!) tongue.png

My apologies for the missing letter. Here is the missing letter a.

I found it lying on my keyboard on the middle row next to the Caps Lock looking innocent as if it had nothing to do with hiding from me.

Actually I didn't miss the letter out but as it said in my posts I do read them before I post and usually afterwards too. My problem is my fingers don't always know how to spell and my backup eyesight checks fail too.

I counted the spelling errors I made in this reply and corrected the 6 I could find.

Have a good day.