Mayweather takes his US$100 million check and runs

webfact

Mayweather takes his $100 million check and runs
By TIM DAHLBERG

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The check was for $100 million, a payday so mind boggling that Floyd Mayweather Jr. couldn't help but show it to a few reporters when the night was done.

"No pictures, though," Mayweather said, sliding the check out of an envelope. "Don't want any pictures of it."

The check will soon be cashed, adding to the millions Mayweather already has stashed in his bank accounts. It was actually just a down payment for his night's work, which could total more than $200 million by the time pay-per-view sales are tallied up.

The richest fight ever wasn't the best fight ever, but that wasn't entirely Mayweather's fault. He did what he usually does Saturday night against Manny Pacquiao in a win that cemented his legacy as the best of his generation, even if he didn't win any new fans doing it.

Still, the fight will be a tough act to follow if only because of the staggering money it brought in. Hard to imagine Mayweather fighting for a paltry $30 million or $40 million after a night he made history with the richest single payday any athlete of any sport has made.

He says he'll fight once more in September, then hang up the gloves. Mayweather says it's time to enjoy the fruits of his labor from a sport that has consumed his life since he was a kid throwing punches in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

"I don't really think I'll miss the sport," Mayweather said. "I don't even watch boxing. At one particular time I loved the sport of boxing. I wanted to go to every fight and wanted to be at every boxing event. But I just lost the love for the sport."

Before a well-heeled crowd of 16,507 that cheered every time Pacquiao threw a punch, Mayweather dominated late once again to pull out a decision win that seemed closer in the ring than it did on the scorecards. Pacquiao even thought he won, though punch stats showed Mayweather landing far more punches and even throwing more than the usually frenetic Filipino.

Pacquiao would blame a shoulder injury suffered in training last month for not being able to throw more right hands. His handlers would blame Nevada boxing officials for not allowing him a shot to numb the shoulder just before the fight, though the excuse rang hollow.

"I cannot use a lot of my right hand but the fight was still good," Pacquiao said. "What we wanted to do we couldn't do because of my shoulder. But he's fast, he's a good boxer. Give the credit to him. He won tonight."

Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, said his fighter would like a rematch, but there is little chance of that. Not with Pacquiao's shoulder injury, and certainly not after the perfect financial storm of a fight that cannot be replicated.

Pacquiao likely made $100 million himself for the fight that packed the MGM Grand arena with celebrities, sports stars and people paying as much as $40,000 for ringside seats. The bout was delayed for about a half hour because pay-per-view sales were overwhelming cable and satellite systems, a good omen for the paydays of both fighters.

But while Pacquiao was the crowd favorite, Mayweather was the masterful boxer. He may not have ended the career of the remarkable career of the Filipino who once sold doughnuts on the streets to survive, but it's doubtful Pacquiao can continue as a big pay-per-view much longer.

"I did my best, but my best wasn't good enough," Pacquiao said. "I fought a good fight."

Mayweather fought a good fight, too, even if it wasn't the crowd pleasing affair fans wanted. He used his reach advantage to land jab after jab, and was so elusive that Pacquiao was only able to land one of every five punches he threw, including only 18 of 193 right jabs.

It was another great defensive performance from a fighter who knows just what he has to do to win. Mayweather remained unbeaten in 48 fights in a career that has now stretched 19 years.

"I knew I had him from round one," Mayweather said. "I went out there and felt him out. I wanted to see certain moves. Everything is a calculated move. I'm 10 steps ahead of any other fighter."

If Mayweather is serious about hanging up the gloves after one more fight, he'll go into the history books as the best of his generation — and certainly the richest. Because he doesn't take chances and turns fights into chess matches, though, he's not going to be mentioned on any short list of all-time greats even while he insists he's the best ever.

Mayweather says he plans to give up all three welterweight titles he holds so other fighters have a chance at them. That will also make it easier for him to choose an opponent for a September fight that he says will be his last.

But there will be pressure to continue. Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0 could be broken with two more fights, and the MGM is building an arena on the Las Vegas Strip that Mayweather could open next spring if he keeps fighting.

"I'm only human, I contradict myself," Mayweather said, leaving open the possibility of more fights. "I'm not perfect."

He wasn't against Pacquiao. But he was good enough to pocket his $100 million check in boxing's richest fight.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-04

Racist remark and response removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

It was a lackluster fight at best. It was quite noticible that when the fight had ended and the opononts were still in the ring, one acted like a neandrathol and one acted like a gentleman.

Boxing is called " noble art "; last night, Mayweather won with " looser art ", running away all the times ; not a great boxer, sure ! 48 victories don't prove he is a great fighter , a great defender, ok , that's all !

there is a manner to win, a manner to loose ; not everybody have " class "

About boxing; what people really want is a return to the Roman coliseum shows. Tridents, spears, etc., and a fight to the death. Would have a guaranteed good show.

I thing that the IRS is standing there when the check in handed out, similar to winning the lottery where you only walk (or run) away with about 50% of your winnings.

Disgraceful boxing from Mayweather but brilliant dodging, ducking and weaving, he's just a glamorous street brawler with a lot of money. On the other hand Pacquiao proved who the real professional was hands down, congratulations to Pacquiao for a great display of real boxing, discipline and good sportsmanship.

Watched the fight.

Not qualified to criticize the points score.

But clearly seen that Filipino demonstrated high class technique, aggression and spirit.

American boxer demonstrated very good evasion skills except when he didn't.

The result was quite predictable - an American, a champ and a black against a Filipino. No dice.

The good news is - both guys got their (very good) money. Good luck to both.

Edited by ABCer

The reality is, Manny did not bring his A game to the fight. The only way he was ever going to beat Floyd was to fight the fight of his life. He barely showed up. His level of aggression was minimal, and Floyd was just too fast for him. I am a fan of Manny, but I think he is washed up. Finished. Too slow. Not enough gas left in his tank. He should retire. Floyd just fought like Floyd. That is what he does. He is not a pretty fighter nor an entertaining fighter. But, he wins. He wins ugly, but he wins.

Edited by spidermike007

one of the reasons for this much touted fight was to put boxing back on the sports screens and bring back the crowds of paying customers

I think it did the opposit

those that paid must have been disappointed as it was not exciting, lots of hugging, lots of back stepping, and all American as it could get -

thank you Thailand for making it free to air

UFC / MMA is now the sport that is making traditional boxing dead - Maywhether is probably the final nail.

As much as I hate Mayweather, he still won the fight fair and square, not an exciting fight or even "fight of the century"! Heck I even think that Mayweather and Pacquiao probably delayed the fight for the past couple of years on purpose to make it "fight of the century" and pull in more money. Either way, glad that it was free in Thailand, I would be annoyed to have payed $100 to watch that fight in the US.

Pacquiao may have looked more aggressive, but truth is he missed many of his punches. He is still a winner in many people's books no matter what.

how many fur lined, spinning hub capped Escalades does one man need ! I watched the fight and thought it was a terrible show considering the money.

Maybe he will split the check with the poor people of Nepal. How much are the fighters donating to this worthy cause?

Balance, on 04 May 2015 - 09:06, said:

About boxing; what people really want is a return to the Roman coliseum shows. Tridents, spears, etc., and a fight to the death. Would have a guaranteed good show.

I thing that the IRS is standing there when the check in handed out, similar to winning the lottery where you only walk (or run) away with about 50% of your winnings.

Yes the fans of this sport pay to see BLOOD or at least somebody beaten with brain damage...

It is hard to understand complaints about the fight. Mayweather proved why he is the number 1 welterweight in the world by outpunching, outlanding and outfoxing Pacquiao. From the complaints I read, it sounds as if viewers wanted to see Mayweather get beat up in order to win the fightviolin.gif If that had happened, then Mayweather would be just like many other boxers - instead of the master of the science.

the fight was boring

$100 million for that stupid fight

UFC is 100x more entertaining

did anyone enjoy 12x the same thai publicity after every round ?

sure i will buy none of that crap

Edited by maidee

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Results: Punch Stats Prove Scorecards Were Right
By Briggs Seekins , Featured Columnist May 3, 2015
"On Saturday night in Las Vegas, Floyd Mayweather Jr. showed that he is one of the great defensive fighters of all time, as he completely neutralized the best offensive fighter of his generation, Manny Pacquiao. Judge Dave Moretti scored the fight 118-110 for Mayweather, while judges Glenn Feldman and Burt Clements scored it 116-112.
Pacquiao certainly had his moments in the fight, but in the end, it wasn't remotely close. Mayweather's ability to control the range and tempo of the fight kept Pacquiao far out of position to attack for the vast majority of the bout.
Mayweather was his usual sharpshooter self during the fight, making Pacquiao pay for trying to close range with his sneaky right hand. But the big surprise of the fight had to be that Mayweather not only landed at a higher percentage than Pacquiao but also threw more total punches."

Mayweather made it look easy to the uninitiated because he's just that good. Pacman worked and flailed to no avail, and Money just moved easily and picked him off repeatedly until it was no real contest.

Money threw the most punches and had the highest percentage of scoring hits and the most total scoring hits, but unless someone understands his brilliance it might have seemed that he was loafing. Pacman may have appeared to work the hardest and flail the most but it was because he was desperately over matched and his flailing did no good.

The fact that Money had the most scoring hits, the highest percentage of scoring hits, and threw the most punches is to the shock of people who don't watch boxing much. Pacman's effort was a desperate illusion.

Money may be the best defensive fighter of all time and surely of a generation. He's so good he made it look easy as he evaded the desperate Pacman who is probably the best offensive fighter of a generation.

This was an offensive fighter against a defensive fighter and although some might criticize Money for being on the defense, that's his game. That's how he won.

I really enjoyed the fight because of the precision of Money. When he can win a fight like that and make it look easy when he was the underdog to the bookies, he shows just how great he really is. History will treat him very well as he retires undefeated.