Bali nine: AFP 'know they did wrong': Lawyer

webfact

Bali nine: AFP 'know they did wrong': Lawyer
Kristian Silva
Brisbane Times journalist

BRISBANE: -- The Brisbane lawyer who asked the Australian Federal Police to stop Bali Nine member Scott Rush travelling to Indonesia has dismissed a police explanation that the drug smugglers could not be intercepted by local authorities.

AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin said on Monday that the authority was not in a position to arrest any of the Bali Nine before their ill-fated trip in 2005.

"At the time we were working with a very incomplete picture. We didn't know everybody involved, we didn't know all the plans, or even what the illicit commodity was likely to be," he said.

However Bob Myers, who was asked by Scott Rush's father to prevent his son leaving the country, said there was evidence this was not true.

"They deliberately brought the Indonesians into it. They knew the imposition of the death penalty was likely and that was a consequence that they accepted," Mr Myers said.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/bali-nine-afp-know-they-did-wrong-lawyer-20150504-1na6yl.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2015-05-04

"They deliberately brought the Indonesians into it. They knew the imposition of the death penalty was likely and that was a consequence that they accepted," Mr Myers said.

Er, yes.

So?

Er, yes.

So?

So why did they complain so much when their citizens got the death penalty ? If they wanted to prevent them from getting the death penalty they should have arrested them on Australian soil. What the Australian government have done is to divert the attention away from their failings by attacking Indonesia and placing the blame on them.

So what are the idiots saying,,,,Is it the AFP's fault that the stupid bastards were importing drugs into Indonesia?? Come on get real, get a grip on reality.Don't blame someone else for their stupidity..

The AFP could have let them import the drugs back to Australia. Had Rush picked up in a "random" customs check at the airport and followed the other couriers to their drops and ended up with the lot and the drugs off the streets.

I wonder what happened to the confiscated drugs in Bali?

So what are the idiots saying,,,,Is it the AFP's fault that the stupid bastards were importing drugs into Indonesia?? Come on get real, get a grip on reality.Don't blame someone else for their stupidity..

They were taking drugs out of Indonesia. The AFP would have waited and caught them in Australia. It is the AFP who informed the Indonesians Police that the so called Bali nine were taking drugs out of Indonesia.They knew this very well and why didn't they wait to catch them when they landed in Australia from Indonesia??? They knew about the dead penalty in Indonesia and decided to sell the Bali-nine to the Indonesian Police. So it is their fault and Australia did not need to compain so much.

Has anybody done the sums -

First - to calculate what the 2 executed would have received in Dollars if the Heroine was delivered, then divide by 2 to calculate what their lives were worth. Was it worth the risk?

Second - to calculate what 8+ kilos of Heroin would be broken down to for sale on the streets of Australia and how many users would have died or suffered as a result of those sales.

What is that saying "Do the Crime - Do the Time"

Edited by GR8fun in LOS

They were taking drugs out of Indonesia. The AFP would have waited and caught them in Australia. It is the AFP who informed the Indonesians Police that the so called Bali nine were taking drugs out of Indonesia.They knew this very well and why didn't they wait to catch them when they landed in Australia from Indonesia??? They knew about the dead penalty in Indonesia and decided to sell the Bali-nine to the Indonesian Police. So it is their fault and Australia did not need to compain so much.

Thats bullshit, the feds done the right thing, the 9 had the drugs in there possession in indonesia so indonesia law rules, if theyd got back to oz who knows maybe the shit would be on the streets, so bad luck 9, only got them selves to blame, so stop with bleeding hearts....

The AFP did not know the full situation when they advised Indonesian authorities. They only knew about 4 of the Bali 9 through the purchase of airline tickets. 5 were not known to be part of the syndicate.

This lawyer is full of it and now trying to cover his backside. The AFP already had 4 on the radar and travel notices had been issued but as they had no details and none of the persons had been known to have committed a crime, they could not arrest them or stop them from travelling.

It wasn't until the Indonesian poilice put surveillance on them that the details and the players became known.

They took the risk, they knew the risk, they suffered through their own greed and stupidity and now the lawyer is trying make himself feel better by blaming others.

Its a disgrace that they and the others were shot. I hope their deaths pave the way for serious changes to sentencing for drug mules. Cartel capos rightly deserve harsh sentences but those taking enormous risks for a paltry slice of the pie simply don't merit a bullet imo

I'm going to take a very unpopular view right now..

Should these "angels" have not been caught, would they now be the same reformed characters that 10 years on death row created? Obviously not - they'd still be at their old game.

I don't agree with the death penalty and I think life in jail (mixed with a bit of hard labour) serves the same deterrent effect, maybe throw in the rattan cane for good measure,

If I ended up in Bangkwang for whatever reason - I'd probably end up teaching english too - would that excuse the heinous crime I may have commited?

Er, yes.

So?

So why did they complain so much when their citizens got the death penalty ? If they wanted to prevent them from getting the death penalty they should have arrested them on Australian soil. What the Australian government have done is to divert the attention away from their failings by attacking Indonesia and placing the blame on them.

The blame can only be by the Bali nine

I'm going to take a very unpopular view right now..

Should these "angels" have not been caught, would they now be the same reformed characters that 10 years on death row created? Obviously not - they'd still be at their old game.

I don't agree with the death penalty and I think life in jail (mixed with a bit of hard labour) serves the same deterrent effect, maybe throw in the rattan cane for good measure,

If I ended up in Bangkwang for whatever reason - I'd probably end up teaching english too - would that excuse the heinous crime I may have commited?

As an aside - the drowning man will clutch at a straw. coffee1.gif

And I think I probably would also. Doesn't excuse the crime but I would sure want to try to get out of the punishment!

Its a disgrace that they and the others were shot. I hope their deaths pave the way for serious changes to sentencing for drug mules.

Cartel capos rightly deserve harsh sentences but those taking enormous risks for a paltry slice of the pie simply don't merit a bullet imo

FYI The two executed were the organisers of heroin importation into Oz, not mules and were connected to a Burma based heroin trafficking syndicate.

At the moment there is around 1000 deaths p.a. in Oz for those using illegal narcotics

Executing people, no matter the crime, is state sanctioned murder.

There is no place in a civilized society for taking the life of another.

This is a shameful act; it cannot be justified.

The people who were executed also knew what they were doing and had by all accounts done it before. They got what they deserved. Only explanation for the lawyers argument is that he must support drugs.

When you go into Indonesia it is clear as to what the penalty is for drug smuggling. These people ignored it and paid the price.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Laws are to protect the majority not the crack heads. Get a life

the drug smuggling idiots got the punishment as set forth by law

...whats all the b1tching about?

9 less drug smugglers in the world...thats a good thing right?

kind of a no brainer

just like drug smuggling...

Yet another critic without a viable alternative coffee1.gif

Thats bullshit, the feds done the right thing, the 9 had the drugs in there possession in indonesia so indonesia law rules, if theyd got back to oz who knows maybe the shit would be on the streets, so bad luck 9, only got them selves to blame, so stop with bleeding hearts....

Rubbish. Australian authorities are compelled to protect its citizens from the death penalty. Regardless of the crime. Thats why the govt lobbied hard for them.

The AFP should not have alerted the Indonesians. Very easy to arrest them upon their return.

The AFP knows it was wrong, the Aus govt knows it was wrong. That is why a new policy will soon be implemented to ensure the AFP does not do this again.

Governments have been incarcerating and executing drug users and dealers for decades and still can't figure out the 'drug problem'. Guaranteed it will be legalized at some point just like marijuana is now slowly being legalized. The sale of drugs is a commercial transaction and if so, economics explains that without demand there would be no supply. Therefor just execute the users.

Rubbish. Australian authorities are compelled to protect its citizens from the death penalty. Regardless of the crime. Thats why the govt lobbied hard for them.

The AFP should not have alerted the Indonesians. Very easy to arrest them upon their return.

The AFP knows it was wrong, the Aus govt knows it was wrong. That is why a new policy will soon be implemented to ensure the AFP does not do this again.

Really? Why did the "bleeding hearts" representatives, the Labor Government not change the policy of the Howard Government? Perhaps the Labor Party agreed with the LNP? coffee1.gif

I thought our Governments role was to ensure the "rights" of the accused, in a foreign country, are met?

Is it okay for Australia to try and interfere with the sovereign rights of another nation regarding crime and criminals? Would we tolerate another country doing the same to us? whistling.gif

I think not.

Total rubbish. Of course it can be justified.

It's the Indonesian law. They broke it. So the law was enforced.

Edited by nottocus

No genius, that's not what they are saying....what they are saying is, the brutal execution of two of their citizens could have been avoided if the AFP had not informed the corrupt Indonesia police. I'd say a fair bit of responsibility for that outcome rests on the AFP. And they weren't importing anything into Indonesia... Who's the "idiot" now?

Total rubbish. Of course it can be justified.

It's the Indonesian law. They broke it. So the law was enforced.

So on that logic, all ISIS's executions can be "justified" because it's Sharia law (God's law of the land). They broke it so the law was enforced. You've totally missed Dr. Robert's point and shown yourself to be a callous simpleton, unable to think past blurting..."it's the law!" "do the crime do the time" and other such nonsense...go back to reading page 3 of The Sun clever trousers.