Phuket police to enforce ban on bikes in new underpass

webfact

Half the people I know have bikes registered at friends addresses, X GFs or addresses from a few moves back etc so will any tickets for this (or speeding say) get flagged up when you come to Tax and insure when due?

I have had my bike 6 years now, is registered at a mates house (as at time thats where I was) I have never bothered changing it, and just do my Tax & Insurance every year no probs...? If anything came through post for the bike (NIP) then it would get binned so unless they flag it up when yearly tax is due how they gonna enforce it by CCTV/ANPR Cams??

Edited by Lokie

So a vehicle which was not road legal in the first place makes an illegal u-turn inside a tunnel and the reaction is to ban two wheelers? Doesn't compute. Why not ban all red vehicles instead?

So a vehicle which was not road legal in the first place makes an illegal u-turn inside a tunnel and the reaction is to ban two wheelers? Doesn't compute. Why not ban all red vehicles instead?

No, ban for motorbikes was already announced way, way before that.

Half the people I know have bikes registered at friends addresses, X GFs or addresses from a few moves back etc so will any tickets for this (or speeding say) get flagged up when you come to Tax and insure when due?

I have had my bike 6 years now, is registered at a mates house (as at time thats where I was) I have never bothered changing it, and just do my Tax & Insurance every year no probs...? If anything came through post for the bike (NIP) then it would get binned so unless they flag it up when yearly tax is due how they gonna enforce it by CCTV/ANPR Cams??

Yes, yearly renewal not possible until fines are paid, same as was announced for cars.

Thainess is to ignore traffic laws unless police are visibly present.

The only time I can confirm this happening is police pulling bikes, where most will insta u-turn and drive against traffic to get away again...that is if they see the control station thingy.

Other than that? Hell no. Heck, I don't even have any qualms passing any of them at "high speed" aka where I know I shouldn't be driving as fast as I am in certain areas (regardless of there not being speed signs...common sense and so, I know about that thing), and Thais don't have any qualms to pass 3s red lights and all that mad stuff they do right infront of them...what they gonna do, enforce the law? lol

An enforcement I'd like to see is to get rid of those police dudes who stand on intersections and stuff and wave cars around where the traffic light is doing a good job already (good job as in there being safe turns for every direction and not dual direction clusterf's). I haven't yet seen a single police who can not manage to screw up decent flowing traffic to back up into pointlessness. Yet, 1km further away, where help is indeed needed, nobody is present rolleyes.gif

These are times when I wish I could fluently speak thai, have too much time on my hand and want to experience their education/training/whatever first hand in school and at the job...chances are I could fill an amazing thick book in less than a week.

Though in all honesty...what is the point with all those, eh watcha call 'em....isles(?) between the roads just aboud everywhere? There ought to be more than just keeping them from u-turning every possible centimeter of the way only....anybody? For all I could say, those things are one of the biggest reasons why there are so many opposite traffic drivers around, for I am annoyed to drive almost 1km just to be _able_ to u-turn instead of having a proper infrastructure at hand....but I what would I know compared to those high paid , highly qualified intellectuals who get to execute their amazing plans.

They're banned because they allow bikes to bypass the intersection, where the BIB operate their daily extortion racket. Period.

Never seen any bib there fining people. Extortion would be something different anyway.

Me too. I could name several hot spots where the BIB have regular traffic blitzes and pull over a lot of bikes for an hour or two each time - but the Central intersection ain't one of them.

Besides, with TheKnave's logic, they could simply move their 'daily extortion racket' to either end of the tunnel.

My apologies, guys. I know nothing specific about that intersection. However, having ridden my bike all over Thailand, and encountered many flyovers as well as tunnels, I have observed the police use the intersections under/over these bypasses as their hunting ground, pulling over as many bikes as they can without blocking both lanes, and taking bribes all morning long.

I don't agree that they could just do it at the end of the tunnel, because there are usually two lanes between the footpath and the tunnel entrance/exit.

If anyone can offer a good reason why motorcycles shouldn't be allowed to use tunnels and flyovers, I'm all ears (eyes).

Finally, if you don't think the police extort money from motorcyclists, you don't get out much, I'll wager.

They're banned because they allow bikes to bypass the intersection, where the BIB operate their daily extortion racket. Period.

Never seen any bib there fining people. Extortion would be something different anyway.

Me too. I could name several hot spots where the BIB have regular traffic blitzes and pull over a lot of bikes for an hour or two each time - but the Central intersection ain't one of them.

Besides, with TheKnave's logic, they could simply move their 'daily extortion racket' to either end of the tunnel.

My apologies, guys. I know nothing specific about that intersection. However, having ridden my bike all over Thailand, and encountered many flyovers as well as tunnels, I have observed the police use the intersections under/over these bypasses as their hunting ground, pulling over as many bikes as they can without blocking both lanes, and taking bribes all morning long.

I don't agree that they could just do it at the end of the tunnel, because there are usually two lanes between the footpath and the tunnel entrance/exit.

If anyone can offer a good reason why motorcycles shouldn't be allowed to use tunnels and flyovers, I'm all ears (eyes).

Finally, if you don't think the police extort money from motorcyclists, you don't get out much, I'll wager.

Since the thread and comment is about this intersection, your post only confuses. That intersection is not one of their hunting grounds. And without knowing that tunnel you have decided they can't do that at the end of the tunnel because of the 'two lanes between the footpath and tunnel entrance/exit. Better look at the tunnel before reaching a conclusion like that.

And no, you obviously don't know much about Phuket traffic stops, no bribes, just payment and receipt on the spot.