Dentists and crowns

rott

I had a filling done recently, she asked if I wanted a crown and I said yes. So I turned up today as requested (12 says later) and after nearly 90 minutes in the chair she tells me she has done a temporary crown and I need to come back in 10 says for the permanent one.

I was a bit stunned by this but as her English was deteriorating by the word I did not bother querying it.

I paid the 3,000 baht bill and asking what the charge would be for the next one, was told 4,500. baht.

Are they taking the .... or what? Anybody know what the normal practice and price would be?

Thats pretty close to the mark. I paid 5k about 8 years ago....last month broke a molar....thought I would for sure need another....made an appt. Dr said he could repair it and cost 900b. He said a crown would be a out 8500.

That is a very reasonable price - here in Bangkok believe I pay about 16k for high gold filled crowns (varies from about 10-16 depending on materials). It is normally a plastic temp crown placed on after getting impression for final - next visit the final will get installed - depending on how experienced as to how much alteration time is required in chair but should not be long. These do have a limited life - shortened if you fail to keep decay materials out of margin area - so all the more reason to take good care. Believe 10 years life is considered good; but am sure some never have issues.

Thank you both, good job I didn't start gobbing off then!! I was a bit taken aback by the word "temporary" after an uncomfortable hour and a half.

All is well then, roll on the fifteenth and get the job finished.

I had a crown glued back in today at Bumrungrad for 2,840. The service was very good. Although the waiting room was crowded, I was in the dentist's chair in ten minutes and out of the clinic in thirty. That's so much faster than in Tokyo where just the train to Kichijoji takes me ninety minutes each way. The treatment is free though. My next project will be to have a thtee-tooth bridge that Thantikit screwed up badly replaced. The dental work there was very slow and the dentist disappeared with me in the chair for long periods of time. The worst problem was that the maker of the bridges and crowns was very poor at his craft. The dentist sent them back once but on the second set tried to grind them to fit and installed them. Various dentists since have gradually ground down its size so that it fit OK for a while but now my gums have receded and I need a new bridge. I really like my dentist at Bumrungrad and will probably have it done there. It will cost me about 90,000 which is the same price I paid Thantakit eight years ago. Incidentally, although the dental care in Japan is free for me, I have to pay for the bridges and crowns since they can't be made in-house. I would advise being very cautious with Thantakit since my experiences there were very bad and it wasn't cheap!

I had a filling done recently, she asked if I wanted a crown and I said yes. So I turned up today as requested (12 says later) and after nearly 90 minutes in the chair she tells me she has done a temporary crown and I need to come back in 10 says for the permanent one.

I was a bit stunned by this but as her English was deteriorating by the word I did not bother querying it.

I paid the 3,000 baht bill and asking what the charge would be for the next one, was told 4,500. baht.

Are they taking the .... or what? Anybody know what the normal practice and price would be?

Rory, I had an old crown removed, and underneath it was all infected, so I had to gave a root canal, they did the root canal and put on a temporary crown, for ฿3,600, now am waiting for the permanent crown, since it is being done in a district hospital, I seem to have to wait a month between appointments.