What role do you feel that the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers should be playing?

simon43

Poll - What role do you feel that the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers should be playing:  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All that is needed, is that the police has a list of resident foreigners who can be called if there is a need for an interpreter. For instance a French speaker whose English is also good, could help a lot easing communication problems, even if he doesn't speak much Thai. I am certain a lot of people would be willing to help out.

There is a scheme whereby police stations have contacts available who speak foreign language. My own wife, Thai, can be called upon for English translation if a foreign national is at the local police station.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I would be a TVF, I'd ask Farangs:

What promises did you make before you came here?

Why do you think you should get everything for free here?

What do you think would happen to you in your country if you'd behave like this?

Guess there's enough Thais to do the job.

A lot of good people volunteer themselves.

The issue as I see it is that many foreigners in Thailand think only inside their own box. They don't see the help that these volunteers wish to offer, instead their negative outlook only sees the ego trip they would be on, seeking power etc... thus they transfer their own inadequacies, experiences (or lack thereof) and opinions on to others...

A number of the long term foreigners in Thailand are social misfits, those with a screwed up moral compass - its is these foreigners who are often the most 'negatively' outspoken. Thus, most of the comments against the Tourist Police Volunteers are negative and perhaps manipulate the thoughts of a number of others.

Add into this the bad press as a result of a small minority of 'wrong uns' who've become TVP and the Image is not exactly wholesome.

Thus: The foreign public in general is missing a vital level respect preventing the Tourist Police Volunteers from doing their jobs well.

I therefore voted 'Solely to offer help and assistance' simply because from conception the system and potential issues was ill thought out. In an ideal world they could be afforded the powers to do a better job in tourist areas.

Never had any dealings with any police in Thailand until I had a foreign police volunteer break into my room and threaten me. I think the point you are missing is that many of us or our friends have had dealings with them which is what we base our opinions of them on.

They should stop providing a fig-leaf for the laziness and incompetence of the actual police, and it seems to attract the worst sort of 'Fear my Badge of Authority' sociopaths.

If they really want to make a difference they will go around collecting evidence of police malfeasance and idiocy and bung it up onto facebook - not scamper around trying to be pencil monitor for the day while hoping to get that coveted prefect's badge.

They are like those repulsive muscular little Christians that Hughes lionised in Tom Brown's Schooldays!

Here is a bit of an acid test.

When a person says, "Would you like help with that?" and you reply "No thank you." That should be the end of it.

If that person continues to INSIST that they are there to help and pushed themselves on you, then that raises a red flag.

If that person gets upset and then uses their authority to FORCE upon you their "HELP" ... that is a problem.

Since we, the Foreigners here on Thai Visa are simply saying "No thank you" ... it raises some concern of the genuine motivation when these "I do not get off on being a cop, I am just trying to help" volunteers do not take "No thank you" for the answer.

... so again .. with some enthusiasm .. what part of "No thank you" ... don't you get? Now take off the badge, put on some normal clothes, and get a life.

A lot of good people volunteer themselves.

The issue as I see it is that many foreigners in Thailand think only inside their own box. They don't see the help that these volunteers wish to offer, instead their negative outlook only sees the ego trip they would be on, seeking power etc... thus they transfer their own inadequacies, experiences (or lack thereof) and opinions on to others...

A number of the long term foreigners in Thailand are social misfits, those with a screwed up moral compass - its is these foreigners who are often the most 'negatively' outspoken. Thus, most of the comments against the Tourist Police Volunteers are negative and perhaps manipulate the thoughts of a number of others.

Add into this the bad press as a result of a small minority of 'wrong uns' who've become TVP and the Image is not exactly wholesome.

Thus: The foreign public in general is missing a vital level respect preventing the Tourist Police Volunteers from doing their jobs well.

I therefore voted 'Solely to offer help and assistance' simply because from conception the system and potential issues was ill thought out. In an ideal world they could be afforded the powers to do a better job in tourist areas.

Wow! What planet did you come from? Are you saying that the expats here who are happily married, devoted to their spouses, like to take care of themselves and do not appreciate officious intermeddlers are all a bunch of narrow minded social misfits with screwed up moral compasses? Wow, thanks for that.

You REALLY need to get out more.

If I check the poll votes, about 90% of voters either want the police volunteers to only be involved with 'assistance' matters (translation, information etc), or don't want them to be involved with anything ==> not exist.

I know from experience over the years that the majority of visiting foreign tourists do support the efforts of the volunteers, (perhaps because they are only aware of the concept of volunteers, and don't have direct experience of dealing with them).

But the low opinion of expats about some individual volunteers or some types of work that they are involved in suggests to me that there are definite problems with the recruitment process and ongoing assessment/training programme.

And in that vein, I won't bother flagging up this poll result to my Thai police bosses because it will be ignored by them... :)

If I check the poll votes, about 90% of voters either want the police volunteers to only be involved with 'assistance' matters (translation, information etc), or don't want them to be involved with anything ==> not exist.

I know from experience over the years that the majority of visiting foreign tourists do support the efforts of the volunteers, (perhaps because they are only aware of the concept of volunteers, and don't have direct experience of dealing with them).

But the low opinion of expats about some individual volunteers or some types of work that they are involved in suggests to me that there are definite problems with the recruitment process and ongoing assessment/training programme.

And in that vein, I won't bother flagging up this poll result to my Thai police bosses because it will be ignored by them... smile.png

Don't forget that the expats are confusing tourist police volunteers with police volunteers. That coupled with the standard negativity here, I think the result is quite positive for tourist police volunteers.

And in that vein, I won't bother flagging up this poll result to my Thai police bosses because it will be ignored by them... smile.png

"But the low opinion of expats about some individual volunteers or some types of work that they are involved in suggests to me that there are definite problems" - yes, it appears TPV's are viewed in the same category as jet-ski operators, tuk-tuk drivers, corrupt officials and Thai mafia. biggrin.png

Don't forget that the expats are confusing tourist police volunteers with police volunteers. That coupled with the standard negativity here, I think the result is quite positive for tourist police volunteers.

You make a valid point here.

That there is a difference between tourist police volunteers and police volunteers.

I think it would be useful if you could please clarify what the distinctions are.

Where they can be found, how we can recognise them, and whether or not they are requested by the authorities to check, uphold and enforce Thai laws.

I would also be grateful if someone could please confirm, which of these two volunteer services are actively checking and enforcing motor bike licences and road tax, at the Chalong Hyack roundabout.

You make a valid point here.

That there is a difference between tourist police volunteers and police volunteers.

I think it would be useful if you could please clarify what the distinctions are.

Where they can be found, how we can recognise them, and whether or not they are requested by the authorities to check, uphold and enforce Thai laws.

I would also be grateful if someone could please confirm, which of these two volunteer services are actively checking and enforcing motor bike licences and road tax, at the Chalong Hyack roundabout.

Those are police volunteers, although I think there is only one at the moment so that would be the police volunteer. And they (he) is by law allowed to do that.

There is often a big police road block just as you leave Jomtien at the entrance to Pattaya Park soi, its a total block, Thai motorcycle cops at the u-turns to stop runners

At the head of the road block is a Farang cop deciding who gets stopped and who goes though, not just Farangs also Thais he was stopping, so those that say they have no power are wrong, you cannot refuse this guy he certainly had a lot of power in this situation

There is often a big police road block just as you leave Jomtien at the entrance to Pattaya Park soi, its a total block, Thai motorcycle cops at the u-turns to stop runners

At the head of the road block is a Farang cop deciding who gets stopped and who goes though, not just Farangs also Thais he was stopping, so those that say they have no power are wrong, you cannot refuse this guy he certainly had a lot of power in this situation

I can't say for sure since I'm not in Pattaya, but most likely he is a police volunteer, not tourist police volunteer.

put it on the other foot

is there ANY other country that has VOLUNTEER TOURIST POLICE from another country?

None, I have ever visited an many of them have a lot more tourists than Thailand.

So why do we need/want them here?

AS far as the misfit volunteers at immigration, ( last time i was there listed to the old guy give totally wrong info to a tourist)

Plus when i wanted to move my extension & reentry to my new passport he told me i had the wrong form an i just ignored him an the thai Immigration official took it.

things worked much better for me, before they showed up

Retirement extension/Re entry permit never more than 30 minutes in and out

Edited by phuketrichard

give them a life jacket, and they can be full-time assigned to 'road'test those jetskis, before, and again after, a customer rides them.

Then, limit their Law Enforcement to just deal with the results of a beach-mafia hit...

is there ANY other country that has VOLUNTEER TOURIST POLICE from another country?

I know many other tourist destinations have TP teams, but whether or not they recruit from 'expats' is difficult for me to locate information on Google. AFAIK, the UK allows foreign nationals to work as volunteer police officers in certain roles.

A more fundamental question is 'why do foreign volunteer teams exist in Thailand?', (and I'm including all the different flavours of volunteer ==> immigration volunteers, FPVs in Pattaya etc).

AFAIK, the stated reason is because many Thai police officers cannot speak English (or another foreign language), and so they asked expats to volunteer to help out.

For Phuket, I know that the government funding allocation for the police is based on the voting register, so the amount of available funds to recruit new police officers is not enough when considering all the foreign tourists and Thais who come from other provinces to work here and remain on their home tabian bahn.

Quite how the need for language assistance developed into foreigners sporting tasers and handcuffs is not clear.

My own opinion is... (nope, scrub that, I better not say what my own opinion is...). But it has a lot to do with some Thai people being too lazy to do their own jobs :)

Please define "foreign"

Thai police (and many civil Thais) usually speak English better than most continental Europeans. Quite a few Germans have problems even to speak their own language..

Please define "volunteer"

Does it mean that don't get paid, just get a uniform so they feel a bit powerful?

Would be a perfect dress for some wannabe Nazis.

There are some German ex policemen here in Pattaya who got expelled from their job. Occasionally they start shouting "Heil Hitler", and I guess they miss their former authority very much. They think I'm one of them because I happen to have a German passport.

Be rest-assured that I will never obey any Nazi authority.

There are quite a few multilingual Thai ladies in Pattaya Beach, and I would have no problem to show my documents to one of them. But if a Nazi comes up on me, it would only be more work for regular Thai police - to avoid the killing of this Nazi.

Edited by micmichd

Please define "foreign"

Thai police (and many civil Thais) usually speak English better than most continental Europeans. Quite a few Germans have problems even to speak their own language..

Please define "volunteer"

Does it mean that don't get paid, just get a uniform so they feel a bit powerful?

Would be a perfect dress for some wannabe Nazis.

Thai police speaking usually better English then Europeans?

Thai police speaking usually better English then Europeans?

Better than most French and Germans at least.

I doubt that.

In any case, how well do the Thai police speak French and German? Remember that for many foreign tourists, English is not their first language, hence the need for volunteers who can speak languages other than only English.

Edited by simon43

Remember there's dozens of different languages in Europe.

Should Thai Police come up with whole Babylon every time?

Quite a few Thai ladies speak German or English (or other languages) though, they learned them from Farang customers, boyfriends or husbands.

Quite a few Thai ladies speak German or English (or other languages) though, they learned them from Farang customers, boyfriends or husbands.

Off-course a lot of girls can speak English,

What is your name?

Where do you come from?

You handsome man.

Where do you stay?

Buy me a drink?

I go with you?

etc etc etc

But i don't think that we are looking for this kind of translation service.

Sorry, I know quite a few bar girls that speak good English and know much about Thai laws and regulations.

Are you suggesting that if a foreign tourist needs urgent assistance, that they contact the nearest bar-girl?

The Thai Tourist Police do lack multilingual skills, and that is one sector of assistance that foreign volunteers can involve themselves in.

The problem - IMHO - is that there is no acceptable 'universal standard' of assessment, training and improvement program that all volunteers have to follow, regardless of their location. Right now, the 'Quality of Service' that a tourist gets is hugely dependent upon the attitude/training of the individual volunteer.

Edited by simon43