Thailand confident to win export quota of 200,000 tons of rice to the Philippines

webfact

Thailand confident to win export quota of 200,000 tons of rice to the Philippines

BANGKOK, 6 May 2015 (NNT) - The Thai government is confident that it will be able to win a Philippine tender to sell about 200-300 thousand tons of rice, despite the presence of its strong contender, Vietnam.

Permanent Secretary for Commerce Chutima Boonyaprapatsorn said the auction is due in 2 weeks, and Thailand still has an edge over its competitors as Thai rice price remains relatively the same as those of other countries.

Apart from the rice deal with the Philippines, she said that Minister of Commerce Gen. Chatchai Sarikalya and his entourage would visit China this week to discuss details of the railway construction project and sign an MoU framework for a two-million-ton rice deal with China. If all goes as planned, Thailand is obligated to deliver the rice to China within 2 years.

The Minister would also talk with the Chinese authorities regarding the delivery of the remaining 600,000 tons of rice under the existing deal. Thailand will seek to speed up the delivery process as a way to improve local rice prices.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-06 footer_n.gif

This government is forever talking about what it's confident it can do, what it will do, but rarely what it has successfully done.

They should just keep quiet unless they do something positive, and then report it.

That's like me saying I'm confident I can win the 1500 meter race in the Olympics. I can say it all I want, but unless I actually do it, I'm just beating my gums. Same with Thailand.

As for Thai rice being "relatively the same as those of other countries", he might want check some stats, as rice from Vietnam is much less expensive per ton than Thai rice.

"Thailand still has an edge over its competitors as Thai rice price remains relatively the same as those of other countries."

Interesting concept on what a competitive edge is.

So, if they lose, what will they blame it on now?

...or will we never hear about it anyway?

"Thailand still has an edge over its competitors as Thai rice price remains relatively the same as those of other countries."

How does selling rice at the same market price as competitors give Thais a competitive edge? Like-kind rice sells for MARKET PRICE regardless of what country produces it.

The problem for Thai rice farmers is that their NET PROFIT is the lowest in the ASEAN region because their PRODUCTION COSTS are the highest among other rice growing countries in the ASEAN region. That's why Thai rice farmers must get HIGHER THAN MARKET PRICE to sustain themselves and that's why the Junta has been subsidizing their production costs - to discourage farmers from openly protesting the government's inability to raise rice prices.

Edited by Srikcir