Taxi driver fined for pretending car broke down to kick out passengers

webfact

500B..! well IMO that's no deterent whatsoever..again so much talk, & media hype from the people in power in BKK, & then the taxi drivers STILL do what the hell they want..TiT.

500 thb he will grab from the next farong customer for a short trip with 3 loops around a block,

First stinky question what they give me usuallly on Swampy.

Hellow sir, first time in BKK ? - No,

he already pissed off, as i may know the shortest way,

Than i tell him just , my wife will tell you exactly where I go,

will cakl her on the highway !!

Than not too much to escape,

except a faster way sir !! a little bit longer !!

or you want stay in a traffic jam ??

No, please take this route - finished !!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please call 1584 if taxis refuse to take you. Get the taxis license number to give to the operator.

Except from various accounts here, those answering that hotline number, if they do, don't speak English.

I'd say that if you haven't bothered to learn the language basics of a country you live in then you don't deserve to have the basic civic rights.

If you are a tourist, shouldn't you complain to the tourist police?

yeah I hope they shoot those Rohignyas and bury em too eh? how dare they not speak the language

We had this before with a taxi driver in Egypt. He tol dus the price was a litlle more up because we have the taxi just for the two of is, so we accept. After about one kilometer, he stop fot two other people to let them also in the taxi. When he was just driven away i cold the touristpolice and tell them wat the taxi driver was doing. About 5 minuten later the touristpolice stop the car, take the driverslicence from the cab driver, locked all the Doors and tell him that he have to go to the policy station, the waiting for him over there. First they bring us to our distanation for free.

So immidetly call the policy in the same situation in Thailand and make pictures as much If you can from the car, the driver etc.

But 500 Bath to pais much to much to LOW

if you are living in Thailand I advice you to be very careful to start taking pictures, many drivers have a short fuse and modt of them have some kind of weapon in their taxi. If you want to go into discussion, do it the Thai way, smile and make your point. If nothing helps walj away.

yes and always always lick his arse on the way out after giving him a 1000 baht tip.

I hailed a Taxi on Pattaya 2nd road the other night. I asked to go to Chayapreuk Road 2, and on the way the driver started to complain about how far it was. I asked what's the problem I'll pay you for your time but kept proceeding to say its too far. I asked how far can they go and said Thepprasit is as far as the driver can go. I got out at Thepprasit and got another taxi home.

So the driver took a chance of gaining extra cash by going back in to town rather than guaranteed cash getting me home.

Their mentality I will never understand as I offered to pay for me to go all the way home to Chayapreuk Road.

Where do I complain too? I have the drivers name and number.

Why can't the driver choose where he wants to go?

I could bore you with all the taxi adventures I've had over the last 22 years but won't. Ranging from being attacked by one driver with a crowbar to getting a discount off one for making him laugh. On the whole, they are honest, hard-working men supporting their families.

Some want a 3rd world country with 1st world benefits, or is that the other way around?

You want to complain about an illegal activity? What exactly were you doing in 2nd road? Last time I was there there were hundreds of farang taking part in illegal prostitution, gogo bars etc, but maybe when illegal things are to your benefit it is ok?

I' certainly have a resentment against sexpats if i were a poor taxi driver working in a brothel area where many of my fellow countrywomen were forced into giving old Norwegian sailors a BJ or sitting with fat old Gunther all eveningtelling him ho cute his "poong" is.

But go ahead mrphil and try to get revenge on this taxi driver - maybe you could get him fire or put in jail.

Please proof read before posting - you cannot possibly be serious in asking why can't the taxi driver choose where he wants to go.

Why can't a restaurant choose what dish they want to serve you? Why can't a clothes shop decide what piece of clothing they want to sell to you? Why can't I choose what I want to do at work? The whole premise of a taxi is that the driver takes you where you want to go, not where he wants to go.

If you have a smartphone, when you move off in the taxi, just take pictures of the meter, and his ID and taxi details.

It will show him you are not a sucker.

If only the 2 week millionaires grew some balls, and not pay double what it should be, maybe things would change.

I hear many comments on here about the failure of "2 week millionaires" failing to know the price of the journey. Who is telling them the right charge? How are they to know? Is it published at the airports?

I hailed a Taxi on Pattaya 2nd road the other night. I asked to go to Chayapreuk Road 2, and on the way the driver started to complain about how far it was. I asked what's the problem I'll pay you for your time but kept proceeding to say its too far. I asked how far can they go and said Thepprasit is as far as the driver can go. I got out at Thepprasit and got another taxi home.

So the driver took a chance of gaining extra cash by going back in to town rather than guaranteed cash getting me home.

Their mentality I will never understand as I offered to pay for me to go all the way home to Chayapreuk Road.

Where do I complain too? I have the drivers name and number.

Why can't the driver choose where he wants to go?

I could bore you with all the taxi adventures I've had over the last 22 years but won't. Ranging from being attacked by one driver with a crowbar to getting a discount off one for making him laugh. On the whole, they are honest, hard-working men supporting their families.

Some want a 3rd world country with 1st world benefits, or is that the other way around?

You want to complain about an illegal activity? What exactly were you doing in 2nd road? Last time I was there there were hundreds of farang taking part in illegal prostitution, gogo bars etc, but maybe when illegal things are to your benefit it is ok?

I' certainly have a resentment against sexpats if i were a poor taxi driver working in a brothel area where many of my fellow countrywomen were forced into giving old Norwegian sailors a BJ or sitting with fat old Gunther all eveningtelling him ho cute his "poong" is.

But go ahead mrphil and try to get revenge on this taxi driver - maybe you could get him fire or put in jail.

Neeranam; that is the most unintelligent comment (post) l have ever read. So everyone who is in 2nd road is committing a crime. All those people in the restaurants, at the shopping centers, working in supermarkets and offices. Even if in a Go Go bar; where is that illegal. Suggesting 2nd road is brothel area!! Your comment is one of total ignorance and no knowledge of the laws these taxi drivers work under when picking someone up and taking a fare. Obviously you have experienced what you have stated (BJ in bar). I can tell you l have not and have a very reputable business on that road

sorry i dont agree when you take a taxi from the airport and he knows where your going as in this case and he does not take you there AND HERE IS WHERE IT MATTERS , " HE HAS A DUTY FOR YOUR SAFETY AND SHOULD NOT JUST LEAVE YOU ANYWHERE FOR YOUR SAFETY ! the taxi driver is guilty of negligence of duty ! and is a greedy selfish person who only wants to get the 35 bt starting fare all the time this is common amongst taxi drivers , sometimes they want to fares if you drop off a friend on the way home as they feel they are losing the 35 bt start up fare BUT IN FACT they are not because if it cost 2x 35 bt at the start of the journey you and your friend would not take the taxi in the first place.

Easiest way to get a joyful ride is to learn a couple of Isarn phrases.

Pathetic the complaints from those rich enough to be flying internationally.

These guys earn less than £20 for a 12 hour shift. Can you really begrudge them try to make £2 more of a jet setter?

Not only that, Sawan Chan 7 - I fly Business! So that entitle the Thai Taxidriver to rip me off?

""""Thawatchai Rassameekam was fined THB500 for not taking his passengers to their destination. He was also disciplined by the officials."""

Once fined.. there should also be a licence point's system in place.. Gain a said amount of points due to infringements and Licence gone for defined duration.

There is a system in place . If he gets fined 3 times he looses his license

500B..! well IMO that's no deterent whatsoever..again so much talk, & media hype from the people in power in BKK, & then the taxi drivers STILL do what the hell they want..TiT.

Maybe not to you Rockafellar,but thats a days wages,and where i come from thats $300,so i rekon its a fair fine.

New trick by taxi drivers now? Lol..

Next trick maybe he'll pretend to answer a call and says his wife in labour!wink.png

"says his wife in labour!"

Well, Ed Milliband's out, maybe she'll do OK.

You could say, Labour has no Balls too... whistling.gif

You mean Milliband is nothing without Ball's giggle.gif

One of the new excuses they use is that they have to bring the taxi back before a certain time. Difficult to argue in such situation.

I think it is the only suitable "excuse" for not accepting a fare, however, there needs to a system to back-up the excuse - maybe a time system on the meter which shows the end of shift time - set at the depot on departure and unchangeable until the cab is returned to the depot.

Pity I was not thinking fast enough last week, it seems harder than ever to get them to use their meters, on checking out of the hotel I was staying at on Sukhumvit Sio4, bell boy asks if I want Taxi to airport, said yes, promptly whisks me out to waiting taxi.

Did not think to check he was using the meter, it was only when we got to the tollbooth and he was asking for money for the toll-way I saw the meter was not on, ended up paying 600 + 75 for the toll.

Now I seem to think that I should have offered him 300 at the airport (swampy), I am sure the policeman blowing his whistle would have soon intervened.

1st trip was it!!!You werent thinking at all,the oldest trick in the book.You rekon your new best mate the bell boy got a cut?Always get a taxi cruising past.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Pity I was not thinking fast enough last week, it seems harder than ever to get them to use their meters, on checking out of the hotel I was staying at on Sukhumvit Sio4, bell boy asks if I want Taxi to airport, said yes, promptly whisks me out to waiting taxi.

Did not think to check he was using the meter, it was only when we got to the tollbooth and he was asking for money for the toll-way I saw the meter was not on, ended up paying 600 + 75 for the toll.

Now I seem to think that I should have offered him 300 at the airport (swampy), I am sure the policeman blowing his whistle would have soon intervened.

Basil,

You are the problem those of us who live here would love to solve. "Not thinking fast enough" ... how about "Not thinking at all."

More and more often I see turn around tourists handing taxi and tuk tuk drivers insane sums of money, and on the few occasions I have asked them why .. they shrug it off with a "I really do not care, i am on holiday."

So, not only did this guy jack you for a double + fare ... you rolled over like a puppy and paid it.

Thanks mate. Next time a taxi from Sukhumvit Soi "X" asks for a ridiculous fare, i will know who trained him that will work.

I think you are being a little bit harsh on Basil. Many times I have left a situation saying to myself "Not thinking fast enough" .... lol. You know the usual "I could have", "should have", etc. Most probably Basil was preoccupied with getting to the airport on time, remembering the things he had to bring on the trip (ie. money, ticket, passport), etc. The problem here is the corrupt taxi driver and the completely inadequate system of preventing this kind of behavior. 500 baht fine reported in this article is a joke! In my opinion this ridiculously low fine does exactly the opposite of what it was intended to do. Instead of deterring this type of behavior it encourages it. The end result, as pointed out on this message board, is people using the public transit system where ever possible for fear of getting into a taxi. Last month I was at the BTS National Stadium subway station and saw at least 30 taxis, tuks tuks lining up for passengers. Although it was in the middle of the afternoon (35 degrees celsius) I decided to walk the 30 minutes to destination. I had no trust what so ever that I would be treated fairly by taxi driver/tuk tuks.

As pointed out I was on the way to the Airport I was running half an hour later than planed and pre occupied with other things, I could not find my reading glasses, must have left them in my room...

And it is not only Taxi drivers who rip off tourists, A well known pharmacy at the Airport charged me 1,400B+, over 3 times what I would expect to pay in UK, or more than 14 times from a street vendor in Bangkok.

They know when they have you over a barrel...

Dear Basil,

First off, apologies ... i do think RiverHigh is correct that the manner of my posting is harsh.

I live here, and the tendency of tourists to "Just pay and go" is a ripple the rest of us deal with on a daily basis.

Now I see what happened. You were running late, a bit flustered, and when the first cab pulled up, he may have even asked for 600 from the doorman .... doorman asked you if it was ok. You speak no Thai, so just sort of where in the "Whatever it takes to get this taxi in gear and rolling" mode."

Pretty understandable ...

As to being grossly overcharged at an international airport ... I am sorry ... but is this your first flight?

A bottle of water is 5 times the retail price at 7-11.

Yes, of course "they know when they have you over a barrel." This is the entire underlying principle of all of economic theory. yes, you could go to Soi "X" and get the same product ... IF you took out four hours of your life and a 700 baht round trip fare.

My suggestion is this. if you do not like being hijacked and paying double taxi fares. If you do not like the highway robbery at international airports. Do a wee bit of forward thinking and planning.

I am something of a freak of nature. I leave hours in advance of my flight times and bring a nice bag of fruit and snacks. I never have one minute of stress. In fact ... I leave so early, i take the airport link and know plus or minus 5 minutes, exactly when I will get to the airport. Then I check in early, sit and read or play chess online. I actually enjoy the quite time.

Why people wait to the last second to go tho the airport, i have no idea.

I have no sympathy for them. They like the drama. OK then. Enjoy ... But do not make it anyone else's problem.

When you return, it is pretty simple.

You get i the cab, tell them where you are going, and if they do not put on the meter ...

TELL THEM TO ... Just say (phonetically) "Saw-wad-dee krup. Met-hair krup" If they refuse, say it again, and then stop talking. This is not a debate. His only choice, at an international airport, is to stop, get out, take out your bags, and remove you from the taxi. That is not going to happen.

Please call 1584 if taxis refuse to take you. Get the taxis license number to give to the operator.

Except from various accounts here, those answering that hotline number, if they do, don't speak English.

I'd say that if you haven't bothered to learn the language basics of a country you live in then you don't deserve to have the basic civic rights.

If you are a tourist, shouldn't you complain to the tourist police?

Ahhh...so Thai language proficiency is a requirement for being able to report illegal activity in Thailand??? Thank you for explaining that.

As for complaining to the Tourist Police, they don't speak English either, for the most part.

If Thailand aspires to be a hub for attracting tourism, perhaps they ought to start acting like they deserve it.

Next trick maybe he'll pretend to answer a call and says his wife in labour!;)

This is an an old trick, they normally pretend to break down and call another taxi and the new one will charge you again.......

The mojority of bkk taxi drivers are nothing but common thieves in cars who need tougher sentences.

Next trick maybe he'll pretend to answer a call and says his wife in labour!wink.png

This is an an old trick, they normally pretend to break down and call another taxi and the new one will charge you again.......

The mojority of bkk taxi drivers are nothing but common thieves in cars who need tougher sentences.

Not necessarily tougher sentences, although it would help, what they need is someone to actually enforce the rules

I have just stopped using Taxis at Suvarnabhumi now, I just get the airport link train instead.

They never want to use the meter and they only seem to know the longest possible route, if they know a route at all.

The taxi situation at Suvarnabhumi is a national disgrace... Don Muang is slightly better but still bad,

I have more problems with Don Muang, as, at least when I am there always a long endless looking queue in front of the Taxi booth.

So I have to go up to the arrival area and take my Taxi.

Sometimes not the first, as they also ask to drive without Meter - no big problem with that, but problem with extrem prices offered! blink.png

instead of taking a Cab from the arrival area, where crooks can be found too, better walk out a few meters to Vibhavadee-Rangsit road, where usually every 5 seconds a Taxi will pass, and some are even waiting at the Bus stop (though I still prefer to hail down a Cab that is moving).

Same at Swampy, if you decide to walk to the arrival level, and ignore the revolving iron gates, which is possible, then try to use a Cab that had just arrived and is dropping a PAX (you can even ask the PAX if the driver was okay and no rip-offs involved). some of the waiting Cabs at Swampy arrival area are crooks too. you can avoid them when you take a Cab that arives at the moment you enter the area.

BTW, I am stunned how many people have no knowledge of this country here - the 500 Baht fine for Cabbies is the standard penalty since ages. so why r u all surprised ?

the only good thing is that since Prayut took over the country, the second and third offences of a scam-driver are dealt with a lot harsher, and can eventually lead to the Cabbies licence being revoked

How long have these "ripoff" taxi drivers been doing this? Do the Thai authorities really care? I think not whistling.gif Every now and then a "happiness for Thai peoples" type of announcement is made or a set of virtues trotted out and no real action or enforcement takes place. TAT still has its head buried in the sand, others in authority cannot be bothered so the corrupt practices continue. Many Thai people cannot think (or do not want to) outside of the square and see how other countries have dealt with these corrupt practices.

Now I have had some good taxi drivers but TOO MANY bad ones also. Unfortunately for Thailand, social media will get more attention than the "empty" pronouncements of Government and western news media is not adverse to making well informed criticism of what happens in Thailand. Can the leopard change its spots for the benefit of all? coffee1.gif

I have just stopped using Taxis at Suvarnabhumi now, I just get the airport link train instead.

They never want to use the meter and they only seem to know the longest possible route, if they know a route at all.

The taxi situation at Suvarnabhumi is a national disgrace... Don Muang is slightly better but still bad,

I have taken taxis from Suvarnabhumi airport at least 100 times and have had very few problems with the drivers ... and that was only when I had to remind them to turn on the meter.

I know Thai taxi drivers can be bad but I think many of the farangs who have such bad experiences help to bring it on and/or exacerbate it with their own bad attitudes and belligerent treatment of the driver.

Edited by HerbalEd

Hard to believe that so many travels are going to other countries for travel instead of Thailand! Many travelers remember there first impression and also tell there many friends about it!

A joke. That's one non-meter fare from the airport to Siam Square for someone like that.

one of the rip-off taxi rank places is out-side soi cowboy. allways want 300 baht to take me home (fare to my condo is 50 baht) i just walk up to sukhumvit road get a taxi no problem, i always give 100, before i go out i put a 100 bill in my back pocket,

Why do you give 100 baht if the fare is 50 baht ?

Don't you think this will give a message to the taxi drivers?

Are you just trolling or are you really the unpleasant, self-centered know-it-all you come across as?

one of the rip-off taxi rank places is out-side soi cowboy. allways want 300 baht to take me home (fare to my condo is 50 baht) i just walk up to sukhumvit road get a taxi no problem, i always give 100, before i go out i put a 100 bill in my back pocket,

Why do you give 100 baht if the fare is 50 baht ?

Don't you think this will give a message to the taxi drivers?

Are you just trolling or are you really the unpleasant, self-centered know-it-all you come across as?

Wow I thought flaming was against forum rules. I've a good mind to report you.

Do you pay 100 baht for 50 baht things?