Bank Statement of Account- for annual retirement extension.

It's almost time for me to renew my extension of stay based on retirement.

Last year I had a bad run in with Bkk immigration over the statement of account, my bank simply couldn't get it right. I am in Surat now.

Can anyone simply state what iut is officially called and state what it should contain. ?

If there is a Thai word or phrase then that would be useful, either in Thai script or English equivalent.

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I don't know the specific requirements for the Surat Thani immigration office.

However, I can share with you the requirements for Phuket, which seem to be among the strictest.

Phuket immigration now wants to see the following:

1) letter from bank that identifies your account and balance information (this is not a new requirement, Krungsri Bank charged me B100),

2) printed statement from the bank, bearing their stamp, and covering the entire 3 month period your funds have been deposited in the account (this is a new requirement, which was previously satisfied with item 4 below. Krungsri Bank charged me B100).

3) copy of the first page of your passbook (page containing your name and account information).

I additionally provided the following:

4) copy of every page of my passbook covering the 3 month period (this used to be the old requirement instead of item 2 above).

5) copy of the front of my ATM card associated the account.

The immigration officer accepted everything I gave him and did not return any of the documents, but I felt like only 1, 2, and 3, were the things that were really required.

Why give the extra information? The officer didn't ask me for any additional information (I had my passbook with me, but he didn't ask to see it) and he forwarded the application for approval in about 5 minutes of checking my submission.

I think if you had all 5 items prepared beforehand you would be in a good position to satisfy your immigration officer in Surat Thani.

Of course, in your case the issue may be that your bank isn't preparing the letter in the correct format. I have heard that some immigration offices want the letter to be addressed in a certain way. Maybe someone else can provide information about that.

Edited by skatewash

Here's an example of the content (in English) for a suitable bank letter:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/32466-letter-from-bank-to-confirm-balance/#entry332778

The actual letter should be in Thai, but at least that should give you an idea of the information that immigration wants to see in the letter.

Here is where the addressee of the letter is discussed, although that seems to have been an issue specific to Korat:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774940-korat-immigration-bank-letter-must-be-addressed-in-a-specific-way/

• Like 2

Why on earth would anyone provide a copy of the front of their bank card?

Good point. I won't be doing that next year. To be clear, it was not requested by Phuket immigration. I had made the copy based on reading that it had been required at some immigration office (don't remember which). In an effort to save paper I had copied it on the same sheet with the account details from my passbook (which they did require). So instead of going to make a new copy of just the passbook account details page, I just gave them both on the same page. Not a good thing to do, I admit. Especially the way the immigration offices have of recycling paper. Lesson learned for next year.

It actually doesn't make much sense to require it because there's no obvious connection between the number on the ATM card and the account number of the passbook. Also, it's possible to have an account without an ATM card.

I believe the photocopy of the front of a (foriegn) card is only required (by Phuket immigration) from those who use the "income method" of applying for an extension.

It provides some assurance that access to funds is possible.

The alternative , I am told, is a Thai bank account which demonstrates a regular transfer of funds from abroad.

• Like 1

In an effort to save paper I had copied it on the same sheet with the account details from my passbook (which they did require). So instead of going to make a new copy of just the passbook account details page, I just gave them both on the same page. Not a good thing to do, I admit. Especially the way the immigration offices have of recycling paper. Lesson learned for next year.

Did you redact your a/c no?

Some residents using 'Pension letters' have advised that online printouts of Thai bank statements are accepted too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In an effort to save paper I had copied it on the same sheet with the account details from my passbook (which they did require). So instead of going to make a new copy of just the passbook account details page, I just gave them both on the same page. Not a good thing to do, I admit. Especially the way the immigration offices have of recycling paper. Lesson learned for next year.

Some residents using 'Pension letters' have advised that online printouts of Thai bank statements are accepted too.

"Some residents using 'Pension letters' have advised that online printouts of Thai bank statements are accepted too."

Accepted for what by who ?

I believe the photocopy of the front of a (foriegn) card is only required (by Phuket immigration) from those who use the "income method" of applying for an extension.

The alternative , I am told, is a Thai bank account which demonstrates a regular transfer of funds from abroad.

Yes, you're right. I found the link where I had seen it mentioned before and as you say it was only required (in Phuket) for those using the "income method:" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780009-retirement-visa-americans-chiang-mai-requirements/#20

So in my case it was definitely not required (as not using the income method) and I won't be providing it next year. Lesson learned.

No, but certainly should have. facepalm.gif Anyway, won't be submitting that at all next year.

The letter my bank manager provides includes the current balance and a list of all foreign originated deposits made to the account for the last 3 to 4 months. That and a photocopy of my bank passbook pages for about three months seems to satisfy immigrations in Jomtien.

When I request the letter, they always ask which immigrations office I use. Presumably that make a difference in how the letter is addressed and, possibly, what information is included.

I use the income method or income/bank combination method, but the bank manager's letter is the same in either case and I always bring along the manager's letter & photocopies even if my embassy letter certifies sufficient income to meet the requirements.

Edited by Suradit69

"5) copy of the front of my ATM card associated the account."

Darn. Of what possible use or need is that? Some people don't want an ATM card. Regardless, I don't like the idea of giving an ATM card # to anybody. Just one step closer to it being abused or compromised. That is personal information that should have no bearing on immigration.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"5) copy of the front of my ATM card associated the account."

Darn. Of what possible use or need is that? Some people don't want an ATM card. Regardless, I don't like the idea of giving an ATM card # to anybody. Just one step closer to it being abused or compromised. That is personal information that should have no bearing on immigration.

No need to get excited !

If asked for a copy of the card ( in addition to all the other "personal information " ) which has been freely handed over just politely refuse .

You will or will not receive whatever is being sought from immigration.

I did my visa at Pattaya on Thursday. I had copies of all pages of my passport + a letter from UK Embassy (very expensive!) I went to my BKK bank the same morning for my standard 100 baht letter.

The usual left-handed arrogant one was on his usual go-slow. The Belgian, Robert? stepped in to reduce the queue. Robert binned my bank letter saying my expensive Embassy letter was enough as it showed sufficient monthly sums from my pensions.

If this is the new system it would save me an hour's unnecessary hassle & a hundred baht. Anyone know if this is so or merely his interpretation? Picked my visa up the following day.

Para 5 warrants a blanket refusal.

Indeed. But the Immigration officer on the day can ask for anything he wants, and if he doesnt get what he wants you can probably wave goodbye to your extension.

I did my visa at Pattaya on Thursday. I had copies of all pages of my passport + a letter from UK Embassy (very expensive!) I went to my BKK bank the same morning for my standard 100 baht letter.

The usual left-handed arrogant one was on his usual go-slow. The Belgian, Robert? stepped in to reduce the queue. Robert binned my bank letter saying my expensive Embassy letter was enough as it showed sufficient monthly sums from my pensions.

If this is the new system it would save me an hour's unnecessary hassle & a hundred baht. Anyone know if this is so or merely his interpretation? Picked my visa up the following day.

Should be easy to determine. Do you receive income of B65,000 per month and does the expensive embassy letter say that? If so, then yes, there's no reason to bother with the inexpensive bank letter, as you are using the income-only method of satisfying the requirement. If your level of income is less than that then you are using the combination method (income and bank deposit), so in that case you would need the bank letter. People who have B800,000 in a Thai bank, do not bother with the embassy letter and apply with only their bank letter as they are doing the bank-deposit method of satisfying the requirement.

Hopefully, Robert's actions make sense in regard to those requirements. If not, I guess you'd have to ask Robert.

There's nothing new about this that I'm aware of. Either you show an expensive letter from the consulate confirming income or you show a cheap letter from the bank confirming a deposit of 800KB.

The only time that you would need to show both is if you are combining income with a deposit for your application.

Of course the officer on the day may also ask to see your bank book or statement, but he wont want a bank letter unless you are using a deposit as part or all of your application.

Para 5 warrants a blanket refusal.

Indeed. But the Immigration officer on the day can ask for anything he wants, and if he doesnt get what he wants you can probably wave goodbye to your extension.

Refuse, tactfully ask for their superior & they'll back down. If nesessary have some useful phone numbers to hand & be prepared to call them and pass the phone to the officer. The myth that 'they'll blackball me if I don't comply' is just that, a myth. Edited by evadgib

"Some residents using 'Pension letters' have advised that online printouts of Thai bank statements are accepted too."

Accepted for what by who ?

By imm as financial proof supporting requests to extend. Edited by evadgib

Here's an example of the content (in English) for a suitable bank letter:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/32466-letter-from-bank-to-confirm-balance/#entry332778

The actual letter should be in Thai, but at least that should give you an idea of the information that immigration wants to see in the letter.

Here is where the addressee of the letter is discussed, although that seems to have been an issue specific to Korat:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774940-korat-immigration-bank-letter-must-be-addressed-in-a-specific-way/

Thank you for this excellent posting.