Prayut threatens to suspend lottery if overpricing is not resolved by June

This seems to be Prayut's method of leadership.

If he can't fix something, he destroys it!

If he can't fix democracy, he'll just eliminate it.

If he can't tolerate a free press, he shuts it down.

If he can't abide by the law, he rewrites it.

If he can't stop social conflict, he removes people's rights and liberties.

Maybe its an army general thing?

For a leader who claims to be the reconcliation leader, he seems more accomplished at alienating himself.

For a leader who claims to be the reconcliation leader, he seems more accomplished at alienating himself.

Its a person who doesnt have the education or experience to perform in the job he is assigned. Simple.

By the time the tickets hit the streets, the prices are already 90 baht a pair, he said, adding that it was then impossible for vendors to sell at 80 baht.

Sounds like complete rubbish to me. Then you'll have to think about what happens, before they hit the street.

I've watched him delivering a very important speech to his folks and there's nothing wrong with my ears, as there're also subtitles.

The guy said: " I hope that Thai people will help me to think" and other nonsense. I agree with another poster saying that he shouldn't rule a country if he can't even solve little problems.

Its a person who doesnt have the education or experience to perform in the job he is assigned. Simple.

Agreed but we need to think too that he assigned himself the job when he took over and now all the bluff and bluster isn't working.

Love what he is doing to try to help the poor Thai people. But i do not think the street mafia will like this very much. Not Thai but i would vote for him if i could! It is about time the country gets a little honesty!

Common sense may prevail..........finally!..........But then again........???

Where does he get 90Bt a ticket, most vendors advertise 100-110Bt and street vendors ask 120Bt so where does he get his prices from

Yeah exactly. I mean I never showed much interest when wifey bought these tickets but I am sure it was always more then 100 baht per ticket.

Love what he is doing to try to help the poor Thai people. But i do not think the street mafia will like this very much. Not Thai but i would vote for him if i could! It is about time the country gets a little honesty!

If Mr P really wanted to help the poor, he should scrap the whole lottery!!

90% of the tickets are bought by people, who can't really afford it, and don't realize how low the odds are for actually winning!!

The premier vowed to help people buy lottery tickets at 80 baht by June 2015.

Why doesn't Prayut just subsidize ticket prices like he does with the agricultural crops : each 100 baht ticket for 20 baht. Everybody "makes" money and nothing really changes. The subsidy comes out of the prize pool so there is no taxpayer funds involved.

PM: Lottery tickets must be sold at THB 80 by June

BANGKOK, 9 May 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has said the government needs to enforce Section 44 of the temporary constitution to solve the problem of overpriced government lottery tickets. The premier vowed to help people buy lottery tickets at 80 baht by June 2015.

The PM on Friday said on his weekly TV program that the government was determined to tackle the problem overpriced government lottery tickets since it had afflicted low-income people for a long time. The government had spent more than eight months dealing with the problem in a normal legal system but to no avail. The government therefore had to use Section 44 to help people buy a lottery ticket at 80 baht, said Gen. Prayut.

If the government failed to end overpriced lottery tickets by June 2015, it might have to temporarily cancel lottery sales in order to overhaul the lottery system, the prime minister said.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2015-05-09 footer_n.gif

What I don't undestand is that, if they intend to enforce a legal requirement, the date of enforcement has to be a month or so ahead. If it is the law it should be adhered to immediately. What possible reason is there for the delay?

If Mr P really wanted to help the poor, he should scrap the whole lottery!!

90% of the tickets are bought by people, who can't really afford it, and don't realize how low the odds are for actually winning!!

Its an alternative to income tax, which would be almost uncollectable. If the street price is reduced from 120Bt to 80Bt the punters can buy 50% more tickets and that is a 50% increase in the 'tax'.

The total money dished out each draw in prizes is Bt47m. In the UK lottery, for a similar stake and take up, the weekly top prize alone is equal to Bt250m and the total handed out in prizes is around Bt600m per draw. And a further amount equating to around Bt300m is donated to 'good causes'.

But I suppose the admin costs are a bit higher in Thailand