A culture of callousness

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
A culture of callousness
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Unless we as a society learn to share public spaces, there will be more tragedies like what recently befell some cyclists

Widely reported recent accidents that left four cyclists dead have forced the government to go for quick measures that do not necessarily address the root cause of the problem or change our selfish attitude when it comes to the idea of sharing public space.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the police to crack down more on drunk drivers, and

the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has said it will next conduct a survey for more bicycle lanes around Rattanakosin Island.

Deputy national police chief General Ruangsak Jarit-ake joined the chorus, saying "We have to find measures to prevent such accidents from recurring."

This was not the first time that a high-profile road accident involving cyclists had captured the attention of the nation and embarrassed the country. There were other road-rage incidents that resulted in at least on man being beaten to death by a 21-year-old man.

With regard to the death of cyclists in Chiang Mai, fingers were pointed at all sorts of people and places - from the authorities for turning a blind eye to pubs and nightclubs that stay open well beyond the legal closing hour of 1am, to hostile motorists who don't seem to regard cyclists too kindly.

Indeed, territorial disputes on the roads, as well as territorial claims on the sidewalks in Thailand's cities and municipalities are nothing new.

Cyclists feel they have as much a right to be on the road as the motorists. They often become the subject of admiration when political leaders want to promote car-free day or similar public relations stunts to show that they care about health, environment and so on.

But in reality, there isn't much space for the cyclists. And on top of that, nobody in power is doing anything to provide them that space because it would mean motorists and others would have to make some sacrifice. We are still stuck in that zero-sum mentality and have yet to find a common ground for all users and stakeholders.

Needless to say, the needs of the cyclists, not to mention handicapped people - people on wheelchair and people with visual disabilities - have consistently been overlooked.

Authorities can point to the meagre "bike lane" and the side-walk designed to help guide people with visual impairment as examples of their caring. But they overlook the violators who have no qualms about occupying these designated spaces.

In many spots in Bangkok and other cities around the country, shopkeepers and vendors leave
little room for pedestrians, thus, pushing them to the street where they compete for space with bicycles and cars.

When it comes down to it, this dispute over the use of common space reflects poorly on us as a society and our authorities, as well as our city planners.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/A-culture-of-callousness-30259714.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-10

A Citycentric article. Most roads in Thailand have plenty of room for cyclists, it's the same piece of tarmac that you see monks walking down, or children riding to school on. Any road topic that shies away from the problem that nobody ever tackles - why are 26000 people dying on the roads every year?

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the police to crack down more on drunk drivers....."

It's a good thing Prayuth carries a big stick or the cops would all be in a state of lethargy at their desks every day.. Why do they need to be told what is painfully obvious to the rest of the population?

Because as little as 20 years ago, only the well off and important people owned cars, Thais seem to have the attitude that if they are driving a car they are automatically important and arrogant and everyone else on the road should defer to them. For men, putting them in a car or truck seems to add 60% to penis length and they act in rude ways they would never dare if they were not in a vehicle....

A Citycentric article. Most roads in Thailand have plenty of room for cyclists, it's the same piece of tarmac that you see monks walking down, or children riding to school on. Any road topic that shies away from the problem that nobody ever tackles - why are 26000 people dying on the roads every year?

Not in C M they don't!

I have seen many stupid tourists pedalling along two abreast because they are too thick to realise that there are no cycle lanes in C M, and they are at risk of being run over if they don't get a brain cell and ride single file as far to the lesft as possible.

As for the death toll, I can't believe that you or anyone else doesn't know the reason!

Not in C M they don't!

I have seen many stupid tourists pedalling along two abreast because they are too thick to realise that there are no cycle lanes in C M, and they are at risk of being run over if they don't get a brain cell and ride single file as far to the lesft as possible.

As for the death toll, I can't believe that you or anyone else doesn't know the reason!

You disqualified yourself when you said "stupid tourists". None of the people killed on bikes in the past week were tourists. They were Thai citizens. They were all members of bike clubs that, I dare to say, know the "rules of the road", and abide by them, a hell of a lot better than most drivers of cars, trucks and motorbikes. I've seen members of the San Sai club stretched out, single file, for a kilometer, staying to the left as much as they can. I've seen other groups around the city, and outskirts, that do the same.

Those who were killed, died because of stupid and/or drunk car drivers, and not because of actions of they cyclists. Which, I venture to say, would be the case in 99% of the time.

Now, as for actual tourists? They should not be allowed to operate ANYTHING with wheels.

Not about bicycles, but utterly callous.

I'm in an IT cafe, and the young children next to me are looking at VDOs of Thai people fighting. They are looking at a masked man kicking the crap out of a young boy and honestly, it's making me feel sick.

Now they are looking at two girls fighting and laughing.

A callous society?

Because as little as 20 years ago, only the well off and important people owned cars, Thais seem to have the attitude that if they are driving a car they are automatically important and arrogant and everyone else on the road should defer to them. For men, putting them in a car or truck seems to add 60% to penis length and they act in rude ways they would never dare if they were not in a vehicle....

...and in a patriarchal society, Thai women drivers really do vent their anger sometimes. I've seen a number of very aggressive/stupid female drivers in my time here. Perhaps when behind the wheel they can for once feel equal to men? Who knows.

Sadly what needs to happen is a HIGH SO or Political Child to be injured... then somebody will actually do something..

Hi-sos would never be out on a bicycle or a motorcycle.

What it will take is a group of concerned citizens to rally, lobby etc

However, Thais are a lot more 'accepting' that what is, is than Westerners - which is actually a good thing in most circumstances.

Don't worry, another bus, van or train cash will happen any time now and THAT will be the new focus, and this will all be forgotten about until a few more are killed. Then it repeats all over again.

Thai drivers should perhaps be reminded (taught) the tenets of (real) Buddhism.

Are you seriously suggesting that Thai drivers be forced to be taught religion to make them better drivers?

That's as stupid as saying all American, for example, drivers be taught the real tenets of Christianity. cheesy.gif

Edited by Neeranam

I think it would be a less callous society if the Thai police were pro active rather than wait on the events happening or the PM telling them to do their jobs, and be an effective police force that looks after all the people from all walks of life and other countries so it is fair across the board but in my 12 years here i doubt that will happen with out a total clean out of the police from top to bottom as to many feeding from the trough

Too many people in not enough space, in the cities.

An attitude of self advantage at all other costs.

A society based on not punishing or reprimanding others for their actions.

A mindset of give an inch take ten miles, while considering the giver a fool for doing so.

Result: Welcome to Thailand and many of it's problems.

its not callousness but arrogance, when people think they can do whatever they please without having to consider anyone else this is what happens. Why do so many people die on thai roads, simple, drivers and riders never consider the fact that they need to obey the road laws, they simply do as they please and f*** the rest as they are more important. Today on the way home cars were moving over the centre line to our side of the road to overtake cars/trucks and flashing their lights as they wanted us to get off the road for them, the thought of waiting a few minutes as there were no cars behind us never entered into their consideration, they simply wanted to do it straight away, a few minutes wait would obviously destroy their day so we simply had to go bush for them while they used our side of the road. Law enforcement is the answer, taking all the morons that simply do as they want off the roads will save lives and make it better for everyone else but it would require police to actually do what they are pad for and that will never happen, much easier to let the idiots kill each other

Today on the way home cars were moving over the centre line to our side of the road to overtake cars/trucks and flashing their lights as they wanted us to get off the road for them, the thought of waiting a few minutes as there were no cars behind us never entered into their consideration, they simply wanted to do it straight away, a few minutes wait would obviously destroy their day so we simply had to go bush for them while they used our side of the road. Law enforcement is the answer,

And guns.

Thailand: 23,000 gun homicides every year, 4th highest in the World.

coffee1.gif

" Needless to say, the needs of the cyclists, not to mention handicapped people - people on wheelchair and people with visual disabilities - have consistently been overlooked"

there is no law enforcement in Thailand. Here is a perfect example.........

In Soi Yume off Klang in Pattaya near big C extra there is the Father Ray Foundation for disabled people and they constructed a stretch of path meant to be dedicated to those in wheelchairs who want to travel safely down Soi Yume to big C extra. The traffic along this Soi is really a nightmare and is bad enough if you are an able-bodied pedestrian but the disabled in their wheelchairs won’t have to travel very far before they encounter someone who has parked directly over the pathwaybah.gif . So those in wheelchairs have to manoeuvre around these cars at huge risk.

The deputy mayor was meant to address this in 2014 (as shown in the video below) but it’s still happening today.

Sadly what needs to happen is a HIGH SO or Political Child to be injured... then somebody will actually do something..

Hi-sos would never be out on a bicycle or a motorcycle.

What it will take is a group of concerned citizens to rally, lobby etc

However, Thais are a lot more 'accepting' that what is, is than Westerners - which is actually a good thing in most circumstances.

"Hi-sos would never be out on a bicycle ..."

Hate to burst any bubbles but, a large percentage of those bicycles out there are very expensive and

well accessorised (lights, computers etc), and well ridden by accomplished business folk and professionals

of both sexes who are well aware of the rules and dangers. It could very well be this group (who are really

quite numerous) that may be the "concerned citizens" who will "rally, lobby etc".

It's good that people are up in arms over the recent tragedies that have made headlines but these and many

more occur daily on Thai streets and that's why a greater awareness is necessary for everyone.

Edited by Dap

My little village has few traffic problems, everybody is courteous and polite. Until you hit (I say that literally) the highway. Not sure about BK. Mostly gridlocked. Sure to cause disharmony and impatience. Move to the country is my advice, the country people are so much more relaxed and patient. But they are also poor

Actually the driving conditions have improved in Thailand over time...the roads are wider with less pot holes...and one is less likely to be run off the road by those huge freight trucks running side by side for miles trying to pass one another...

All in all...Thailand's highways are safer...with plenty of room for improvement...